Ashland Football

Very well said!! Without the past there is no future. A player today (or a fan) should respect what the players before them have accomplished, they have laid the groundwork, so to speak. I can not think of any instance where a player or fan should forget what the Pride & Tradition of their respective program means. Most that are negative toward another program are speaking with envy!!!

:thumb:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well said!! Without the past there is no future. A player today (or a fan) should respect what the players before them have accomplished, they have laid the groundwork, so to speak. I can not think of any instance where a player or fan should forget what the Pride & Tradition of their respective program means. Most that are negative toward another program are speaking with envy!!!

Or nausea.

Ashland hasn't been Ashland for a long time , I want them to be Ashland again in all activites , it's good for our entire area. When you go down state , very few know where Russell or Flatwoods are but everyone knows Ashland. So let's recommit to the run with Fields and Darrell , tone down the passing , tackle on defense and go deep into the playoffs again. Ashland has the kids ....

Or nausea.

I do believe envy was the correct word. We all hear how Russell has dominated this series, while winning 4 of the last 7 and 20 of the 50 of the games played between these two schools. These numbers suggest to me that Ashland is helping to carry that NEKY flag as well as anybody in this area.;)

I do believe envy was the correct word. We all hear how Russell has dominated this series, while winning 4 of the last 7 and 20 of the 50 of the games played between these two schools. These numbers suggest to me that Ashland is helping to carry that NEKY flag as well as anybody in this area.;)

No, nausea was the correct word.

I never said that Ashland did not "help carry that NEKY flag". I have great respect for the coaches and players at Ashland. It is some fans that give me a sour stomach.

I would love to see a ALL-TIME 1ST Team ALL- STATE board put up at Putnam to show all the young Tomcats playing football that it is possible one day to make 1st team all-state playing football as a Tomcat.:thumb:

It is good to see the Russell-Ashland rivalry heating up so early in the year. Ashland fans have every reason to be proud of their past. Those Ashland football teams in the late 1920s and early 1930s were, from what we have been told, outstanding teams. Also, the 1928 and 1961 Ashland basketball teams were two well respected state champions. In, I believe, the early 1970s, Ashland had some fine baseball teams. No one should minimize any of these accomplishments.

However, I, at the risk of being bombarded by the boys in maroon, believe that, for Ashland to continue to have a feeling of superiority over its neighbors, it needs a few really significant accomplishments in the present era. For example, Elizabeth Taylor was absolutely gorgeous fifty years ago. However, that fact doesn't carry much weight today nor will it win her a beauty contest in this day and age.

I would love to see a ALL-TIME 1ST Team ALL- STATE board put up at Putnam to show all the young Tomcats playing football that it is possible one day to make 1st team all-state playing football as a Tomcat.:thumb:

That is a great motivator having something that shows what hard work & dedication can do. We have that in place at Raceland and also have posted all the district championships with the year listed. We also have a team picture posted of the teams from the past with their record listed with it.

It means a lot to the present players and also the former players know that what they accomplished was appreciated.