Ashland Football

What does everyone think about the tomcats this year? Who will the qb be? Who sill step up and fill the outside linebacker positions? Will there be any surprise players this yr.? How far will the cats go in the playoffs?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The O'line should be better this year. I look for Mahan to get the nod at QB unless he just absolutely cant do it. I hope and expect Fields Davis to get a lot more carries in the backfield this year. The D should again be solid. The expectations arent as high this year and maybe thats a good thing. Just a week or so till practice!!! :ylsuper:

What does everyone think about the tomcats this year? Who will the qb be? Who sill step up and fill the outside linebacker positions? Will there be any surprise players this yr.? How far will the cats go in the playoffs?

Did the qb graduate or something for the tomcats last year?

Tomcats are always tough, hard to play in BOWL and come out smelling good. We have to go there this year and I hope we deliver a better show than last year. A good solid win would be nice. But it will be tough.

Russell has won the last two meetings with Ashland.

??????????????????????????????????????

Tomcats are always tough, hard to play in BOWL and come out smelling good. We have to go there this year and I hope we deliver a better show than last year. A good solid win would be nice. But it will be tough.

I guess that you are talking about Putnam Stadium, I personally think that it is by far, no comparison the best place to watch a high school football game in our area. Russell has a nice facility also for the fans but I do hope that they have corrected the problem of their playing surface, it used to be an absolute mudhole bath if it rained any amount at all - terrible. If you are talking about the competition factor, you are right --- Tomcats are always tough and especially in Putnam.

Yes. :cry:

The Tomcat o-line needs to establish a agressive inside running game and (IMO)could be a very dangerous football team.

At QB. Mahan can sure wing that football,but Mcdavid (imo) has been in the pressure cooker so many times and has played QB. under the lights.Im sure coach Hart and Co. will do whats right for the team come game time.:thumb:

Maybe two QBs. ?

Jericho51:

I agree that this year’s Tomcats will rely on power football. The O-line must step up this year to make it work. Fields Davis is a very strong runner and should fit the bill nicely. Other good running backs that could carry some of the load this year include: Josh Cordle, Mat Bartram, Chris Hall, Adam Johnson, and Blake Mcleod (no order intended). We need to get more accomplished on the ground this season.

I think the team will also pass a little (only averaged 12 passes per game last year). Imagine adding Thomas to the returning receivers of Bonner, Burns and possibly McDavid (if he isn’t QB) – they would be a constant threat. But IMHO this year our bread and butter will be the inside running game.

This team is senior dominated and that is worth a lot. I think there is a lot of potential here. Every year new stars emerge. I can’t wait to see who they will be this year.

Graybeard

Good post Graybeard... I see the cats being very improved on the o-line this year. They have about 9 lineman competing for starting jobs right now and all are capable of starting. Most of those lineman are seniors and have been playing for a long time. I expect the running game to take off for the cats this year.

Ashland becomes a force when they commit to the run , period. Last years Russell game would have been a blowout if Ashland doesn't hit a few big busted plays. In high school if you can't run , you can't win. That's all the hint you get ... Seems to me , right now based upon last several seasons Ashland is committed to being a Hollywood Passing Team .... Sells newspapers but doesn't win games , especially playoff games .... Good Luck except when the Devils come in winging it ....

ps winging it isn't a passing formation ...

Ashland becomes a force when they commit to the run , period. Last years Russell game would have been a blowout if Ashland doesn't hit a few big busted plays. In high school if you can't run , you can't win. That's all the hint you get ... Seems to me , right now based upon last several seasons Ashland is committed to being a Hollywood Passing Team .... Sells newspapers but doesn't win games , especially playoff games .... Good Luck except when the Devils come in winging it ....

ps winging it isn't a passing formation ...

We all know what Russell “winging it” means. :D I’m glad that Russell can make their Wing-T work (they do it very, very well) – but, not everyone can. I wonder what will happen at Russell when coach McGlone eventually retires. He will certainly leave some big shoes for someone to fill.

I think that a team that can both run and pass effectively is hard to beat. Of course, High School coaches have to work with the talent they have. Sometimes they may be more limited in one area than the other.

Only time will tell about the 2006 Tomcats. But, I believe that they will earn some respect before the season is over.

We all know what Russell “winging it” means. :D I’m glad that Russell can make their Wing-T work (they do it very, very well) – but, not everyone can. I wonder what will happen at Russell when coach McGlone eventually retires. He will certainly leave some big shoes for someone to fill.

I think that a team that can both run and pass effectively is hard to beat. Of course, High School coaches have to work with the talent they have. Sometimes they may be more limited in one area than the other.

Only time will tell about the 2006 Tomcats. But, I believe that they will earn some respect before the season is over.

Last year in the playoff run McGlone used the Power I a lot. He adapted very well when going away from the Wing T.