Ashland Football

I guess that you are talking about Putnam Stadium, I personally think that it is by far, no comparison the best place to watch a high school football game in our area. Russell has a nice facility also for the fans but I do hope that they have corrected the problem of their playing surface, it used to be an absolute mudhole bath if it rained any amount at all - terrible. If you are talking about the competition factor, you are right --- Tomcats are always tough and especially in Putnam.

Putnam Stadium affectionately known as the Holy Grail.:p

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tomcat o-line needs to establish a agressive inside running game and (IMO)could be a very dangerous football team.

At QB. Mahan can sure wing that football,but Mcdavid (imo) has been in the pressure cooker so many times and has played QB. under the lights.Im sure coach Hart and Co. will do whats right for the team come game time.:thumb:

Maybe two QBs. ?

I dont think Coach Hart will ever run a 2 QB system.

Ashland becomes a force when they commit to the run , period. Last years Russell game would have been a blowout if Ashland doesn't hit a few big busted plays. In high school if you can't run , you can't win. That's all the hint you get ... Seems to me , right now based upon last several seasons Ashland is committed to being a Hollywood Passing Team .... Sells newspapers but doesn't win games , especially playoff games .... Good Luck except when the Devils come in winging it ....

ps winging it isn't a passing formation ...

Im not sure if I would call those busted plays. Big plays are part of the game just like for expample a 4 yard run to gain a first down.

I think Ashland will have to rely on the run alot more this year. The starting QB is still a question mark and until the cats get comfortable with the passing game again, they'll rely on the running attack.

What happens in the Russell game means little other than the local rivalry and it's an early measuring stick for both teams...I'm sure neither team will be ready to cash in the whole season based on that game...It's always a fun game for the players and fans but both would probably rather win their districts and have home field advantage in the playoffs...

BTW, as much as I love being home at Henry R Evans Stadium, Putnam is my personal favorite place to watch a game simply because of how close you are to the field and the enclosed feel it has...It makes you feel like you are part of the game...I love that atmosphere and there is really no "homefield advantage" because it's so close & our crowd is as large & some years larger than Ashland's...

I am looking forward to another great game but it's just 1 of 10...Good luck to both teams this season...

:fire: 58

What happens in the Russell game means little other than the local rivalry and it's an early measuring stick for both teams...I'm sure neither team will be ready to cash in the whole season based on that game...It's always a fun game for the players and fans but both would probably rather win their districts and have home field advantage in the playoffs...

BTW, as much as I love being home at Henry R Evans Stadium, Putnam is my personal favorite place to watch a game simply because of how close you are to the field and the enclosed feel it has...It makes you feel like you are part of the game...I love that atmosphere and there is really no "homefield advantage" because it's so close & our crowd is as large & some years larger than Ashland's...

I am looking forward to another great game but it's just 1 of 10...Good luck to both teams this season...:fire: 58

:thumb: :thumb:

I dont think Coach Hart will ever run a 2 QB system.

I agree ,but way back when:sleep: ---The Tomcats had a punishing wishbone running attack that had two QBs one for the run and one for the pass we were state-runner ups. Two QBs can work or maybe it took two QBs to replace Steve Curnute at QB, 1st team all-state 1971 and later ALL-SEC at Vandy in the secondary and (if not mistaken)drafted by New York Giants .

Sorry about that its that Tomcat living in the past again ,as they say ;) But gettin back to today ,i think Mahan has all the tools to become a great QB.and just needs to prepare himself mentally to be that leader that a QB. must be in that huddle when all eyes are on him to call a play and execute it.(IMO)Two QBS might make it a little easier on a inexperinced QB. and ease him into the role of leading the team and gaining the respect he must have from his players.:thumb: Whens practice?::thumb:

Putnam is my personal favorite place to watch a game simply because of how close you are to the field and the enclosed feel it has...It makes you feel like you are part of the game...I love that atmosphere and there is really no "homefield advantage" because it's so close & our crowd is as large & some years larger than Ashland's...

I am looking forward to another great game but it's just 1 of 10...Good luck to both teams this season...

I agree 100% about Putnam Stadium, I said in an earlier post that it was the best place in the area to watch high school football - it may very well be the best place in the State to watch a game for the reasons you have mentioned. The Ashland - Raceland game is looked foward to by Raceland as a measuring stick so to speak. It is well ahead of the district schedule. Although I am like you in I love watching the Rams at home at "Ram Stadium" and would like to have Ashland at home every once in a while,I know the Ram players and fans love the atmosphere at Putnam. I believe that the Tomcats are the only school that Raceland would come close to agreement with in playing every year they play at Putnam. I know that I wouldn't consider this set up with anyone else. Raceland fans are like your Russell fans in the aspect that they will show up at Putnam in good numbers. Not just at Putnam but there have been a lot of away games that Raceland had far more people in the stands than the home team. Good luck to the Tomcats, Red Devils and my Rams in the upcoming season.

I don't think the Tomcats are trying to sell papers, though.

But, the Red Devils have racked up an impressive # of playoff wins the past 10 years or so. Something like 15 or sixteen. i'm just thinking off the top of my head. Of course, 7 or 8 being these past two years.

The Tomcats (as much as it pains me to say it) usually get stymied by Rockcastle and Bell in the 2nd or 3rd round on a pretty regular basis. :sssh:

But there is no shame in that.

I don't think the Tomcats are trying to sell papers, though.

But, the Red Devils have racked up an impressive # of playoff wins the past 10 years or so. Something like 15 or sixteen. i'm just thinking off the top of my head. Of course, 7 or 8 being these past two years.

The Tomcats (as much as it pains me to say it) usually get stymied by Rockcastle and Bell in the 2nd or 3rd round on a pretty regular basis. :sssh:

But there is no shame in that.

There certainly is not, just like Raceland has lost in the first and second rounds in the class A playoffs, heck we could have Budweiser as a sponsor - we have been "Beechwood Aged" :D (and that does pain me to say that also, you can insert my cussword here :lol: :sssh: ) I will say that I believe that the Red Devils have much easier time of it in the playoffs on the level of competetion in the AA districts that Raceland or Ashland does in their respected class/playoff opponets that they have to play early in the playoffs. That is untill they (Russell) gets to the state semi-finals and then it is tough.JMO

Ashland becomes a force when they commit to the run , period. Last years Russell game would have been a blowout if Ashland doesn't hit a few big busted plays. In high school if you can't run , you can't win. That's all the hint you get ... Seems to me , right now based upon last several seasons Ashland is committed to being a Hollywood Passing Team .... Sells newspapers but doesn't win games , especially playoff games .... Good Luck except when the Devils come in winging it ....

ps winging it isn't a passing formation ...

:sssh: :sssh: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
There certainly is not, just like Raceland has lost in the first and second rounds in the class A playoffs, heck we could have Budweiser as a sponsor - we have been "Beechwood Aged" :D (and that does pain me to say that also, you can insert my cussword here :lol: :sssh: ) I will say that I believe that the Red Devils have much easier time of it in the playoffs on the level of competetion in the AA districts that Raceland or Ashland does in their respected class/playoff opponets that they have to play early in the playoffs. That is untill they (Russell) gets to the state semi-finals and then it is tough.JMO

The Devils just play their schedule which includes the Tomcats and hopefully the Ramblers in years to come.I am sure Coach McGlone is predicting another decent year for his team.

The Devils just play their schedule which includes the Tomcats and hopefully the Ramblers in years to come.I am sure Coach McGlone is predicting another decent year for his team.

McGlone predicting a good team?? :lol: I am used to the "red devill lane" pre season "el toro poo poo" coming from him. You know the routine: we are kind of weak in this area, don't know what we are going to do about this or that. I don't really look for a outstanding team, Yada....Yada....Yada :laugh: . I don't know if Raceland and Russell will ever play, I do know first hand that when B.T. Ross was at the helm that he was begging them to play and they would have none of it. Imo that is really when and how the Rams / Tomcat series came about. Doesn't matter, it would be a good game for the fans and such though. Good luck to both teams this season. P.S. - I have heard some rummors (and that may be just what they are) of Raceland stepping up to AA for the 2007 season:confused: . I personally have been in favor of that for quite a while.