Should The Colonel Crazies' Treatment Of Inbounders Have To Change?

Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?

• It's fine just as it is.
    • It would be okay if the students remained completely in the stands.
    • Needs to go all together.
    • Who cares?

Personally, and as a former ColonelCrazy, I find it a bit over the top if/when kids come from the stands to the floor for this purpose. Of course, I never gave it much thought as a teenager. With that said, I don't see it as a major issue, either.

If I were in charge, I'd keep the kids in the stands, but let them yell, wave, and be as rowdy as they want so long as they keep some distance from the sideline. That would apply throughout the game, not just during an inbounds play.

For what it's worth, I think the Covington Catholic administration does a fine job policing these boys. It's a difficult and mostly thankless job.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the record, blackface is 100% unacceptable.

I'm sure we're all on the same page regarding blackface. That's why I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that a classmate or parent didn't step in and help that particular student remove it before it came down to a photo op. I would hope and expect it was addressed later.

If I'm a player throwing the ball in and the kids are not in the stands' date=' I take one or two steps back and see if the refs make the call and put me on the line shooting 2. That would be the end of kids on the floor. I did see a game where the ref asked the kids to refrain from coming onto the floor.[/quote']

You would not hit students. You would hit Charlie.

This is a case example of where preventive officiating should be utilized. Only requirement is room to execute throw in. There are many, many gyms that have less depth on the sideline than some of the pictures here.

The talk about interference is silly.

First, it's a spot throw in. That means the thrower can only move within a 3 foot box side to side. That means he has about one foot on each side. No students are within that box so he can't run into them.

Secondly, I'm 52 years old and have NOT ONCE seen a thrower take the ball from the official and THEN back up. They take the ball and do not move. So the Crazies being behind them is immaterial from an interference standpoint because it NEVER happens. It's no different than a wall being behind them.

As BirdBrain said, official makes sure the thrower is not being hindered by the students and makes sure that the defender gives him room since the thrower cannot back up.

The only way I see a T is if a Crazy reaches out and hits the player or ball.

The rest of this stuff is just an academic discussion that we'll never see happen.

Question. I have seen throwers in the past show the defender the ball in hopes he will touch it, can this also be done to a spectator.

Are you asking if a thrower can turn around and put the ball into the face/body of a fan?

Question. I have seen throwers in the past show the defender the ball in hopes he will touch it, can this also be done to a spectator.

By the way, if the thrower extends the ball over the endline the ball can be hit by the defender.

I don't put anything past anyone in a high school basketball game....I would be interested to see a case study of a situationl like this.

Are you asking if a thrower can turn around and put the ball into the face/body of a fan?

No just turning from left to right with the ball and actually trying to get the ball closer than you should to the students in hopes one might react and touch it.

No just turning from left to right with the ball and actually trying to get the ball closer than you should to the students in hopes one might react and touch it.

Well, the students would never really be close enough to them on the side. Look at the video in this thread. The thrower would have to commit a violation by moving too far to the side to get someone to even remotely consider touching the ball.

Well, the students would never really be close enough to them on the side. Look at the video in this thread. The thrower would have to commit a violation by moving too far to the side to get someone to even remotely consider touching the ball.

Thanks, that's the problem I couldn't tell how close they really were.

A. As a private school you can teach/preach whatever you want. Other than a core curriculum to remain certified you offer what you see fit when educating these young men without interference.

B. My guess is that most HS aged black kids don't know the history of black face. Their parents probably do, their grandparents certainly do! Probably would become a non-issue moving forward if people understood why it rubs people the wrong way. It goes both ways, pull your pants up because it offends people, throwing around the the N word in music offends people. Etc. Etc. Etc. Granted some kids go out of their way to offend others to make a statement, most kids just don't know any better and follow the crowd!

Really don't want dwell on this, as the Colonel said I am off topic.

A. As a private school you can teach/preach whatever you want. Other than a core curriculum to remain certified you offer what you see fit when educating these young men without interference.

B. My guess is that most HS aged black kids don't know the history of black face. Their parents probably do, their grandparents certainly do! Probably would become a non-issue moving forward if people understood why it rubs people the wrong way. It goes both ways, pull your pants up because it offends people, throwing around the the N word in music offends people. Etc. Etc. Etc. Granted some kids go out of their way to offend others to make a statement, most kids just don't know any better and follow the crowd!

Really don't want dwell on this, as the Colonel said I am off topic.

I'd argue it's not off topic since the topic is the actions of the Crazies so...

With great hesitation at putting words in your mouth you seem to be saying that private schools are or CAN BE insensitive to racial issues/history and we see that manifested in the actions of the students. If I am correct, how do you see that actually being taught in school?

Now back to the topic at hand.

Just spoke with our OHSAA rules chairman. Here are the OSHAA rules, which I realize are not KHSAA rules but it would be surprising if they are different.

The in bounder has a 3x3 box where he must keep at least one foot in during an "stagnant" inbound play. The player can move freely inside this box without being called w/ a travel. The player can ALSO move out of the box with one foot as long as the other foot remains planted in the original 3x3 space.

If a non-participants (players on the bench, coaches, students, cheerleaders, band etc.) obstructs play the referee will provide verbal bench warning to the offending team on the first offense, a bench technical will be issued on the second and a bench technical and head coach ejection on the third. Obstruct can mean both physical and visual.

The apron of the court is considered part of the playing surface during a game. The players have the right of occupation and free movement in those areas unrestricted. Game Fouls and violations can be called on the adjacent out of bounds areas of the court.

In Ohio they allow fans, students and cheerleader limited use of apron areas for movement, cheering or standing but also requires that they vacate the apron area of the floor when being used as part of the game.

At least in Ohio there are no "house" rules or "tradition" rules that circumvent OHSAA rules if games are played between OHSAA member schools.

Now if NKHSAA or NKY teams have different rules then that's the way it is and explains why I and others have never encountered this.