Should The Colonel Crazies' Treatment Of Inbounders Have To Change?

Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?

• It's fine just as it is.
    • It would be okay if the students remained completely in the stands.
    • Needs to go all together.
    • Who cares?

Besides the intimidation factor, has this caused any problem whatsoever in a game??? Has any coach complained to the KHSAA? Has CCH ever had to discipline a student for anything that happened during a throw-in? Any T's issued because of obstruction or interference?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now back to the topic at hand.

Just spoke with our OHSAA rules chairman. Here are the OSHAA rules, which I realize are not KHSAA rules but it would be surprising if they are different.

The in bounder has a 3x3 box where he must keep at least one foot in during an "stagnant" inbound play. The player can move freely inside this box without being called w/ a travel. The player can ALSO move out of the box with one foot as long as the other foot remains planted in the original 3x3 space.

If a non-participants (players on the bench, coaches, students, cheerleaders, band etc.) obstructs play the referee will provide verbal bench warning to the offending team on the first offense, a bench technical will be issued on the second and a bench technical and head coach ejection on the third. Obstruct can mean both physical and visual.

The apron of the court is considered part of the playing surface during a game. The players have the right of occupation and free movement in those areas unrestricted. Game Fouls and violations can be called on the adjacent out of bounds areas of the court.

In Ohio they allow fans, students and cheerleader limited use of apron areas for movement, cheering or standing but also requires that they vacate the apron area of the floor when being used as part of the game.

At least in Ohio there are no "house" rules or "tradition" rules that circumvent OHSAA rules if games are played between OHSAA member schools.

Now if NKHSAA or NKY teams have different rules then that's the way it is and explains why I and others have never encountered this.

To be clear those are NFHS rules and not particular to Ohio.

Besides the intimidation factor, has this caused any problem whatsoever in a game??? Has any coach complained to the KHSAA? Has CCH ever had to discipline a student for anything that happened during a throw-in? Any T's issued because of obstruction or interference?

Wrong sport...great effort

I can't answer about coaches complaining but there has never been an in-game incident. I've never noticed a player complaining to an official. I've never noticed any student getting closer enough to potentially hinder the throw-in or to make contact with the thrower.

The CC Crazies are nuts compared to St. X kids when there is no barrier between the X seats and the floor. Or St. X just might reserve the crazy for Trinity. This is a highlight video of St. X & Trinity playing for the 7th Region title in 2012 at Bellarmine. Whole video is good but ff to 2:35 to see X's "restrained" crazy.

Trinity surrounds its student section with faculty & administrators whether home or away. At Sweet 16 games it's hilarious to see the real or rental cops around the Trinity student section plus 6 or more faculty, coaches from other sports, & administrators. I'll never forget the 2012 title game between Trinity & Scott Co. Look at Trinity's students ~ cops, Rupp ushers, & Trinity officials everywhere. Look at Scott Co. ~ maybe a teacher or two, but those kids were exceptionally well behaved, vocal but, dare I say?, acting like grownups. One detail: Trinity hires the off-duty or rental cops. Same for football at home, but I think just school officials when the football team travels.

I agree with whoever said the CovCath situation is a serious problem waiting to happen. But let's not wait ~ be vocal but be vocal in the stands. That's all. Allowing fans to be so close to inbounders is irresponsible. Hard to believe any school would allow it. Hard to believe ANY parents would tolerate their son acting like that.

The CC Crazies are nuts compared to St. X kids when there is no barrier between the X seats and the floor. Or St. X just might reserve the crazy for Trinity. This is a highlight video of St. X & Trinity playing for the 7th Region title in 2012 at Bellarmine. Whole video is good but ff to 2:35 to see X's "restrained" crazy.

Trinity surrounds its student section with faculty & administrators whether home or away. At Sweet 16 games it's hilarious to see the real or rental cops around the Trinity student section plus 6 or more faculty, coaches from other sports, & administrators. I'll never forget the 2012 title game between Trinity & Scott Co. Look at Trinity's students ~ cops, Rupp ushers, & Trinity officials everywhere. Look at Scott Co. ~ maybe a teacher or two, but those kids were exceptionally well behaved, vocal but, dare I say?, acting like grownups. One detail: Trinity hires the off-duty or rental cops. Same for football at home, but I think just school officials when the football team travels.

I agree with whoever said the CovCath situation is a serious problem waiting to happen. But let's not wait ~ be vocal but be vocal in the stands. That's all. Allowing fans to be so close to inbounders is irresponsible. Hard to believe any school would allow it. Hard to believe ANY parents would tolerate their son acting like that.

The X kids are closer to the thrower than the CCH kids and I still see no problem with how close the X kids are.

This is probably the funniest thread I've ever seen on BGP.

I've been going to CCH home games for 11 years, and I cannot recall a single time where this has had any affect on the passer. Charlie Hartmann and Bob Rowe are always in front of the student section keeping it under control. It's a small gym. The stands are close to the court. Students are loud and like to have (or at least like to think they have) an effect on the game. Get over it.

Personally, and as a former ColonelCrazy, I find it a bit over the top if/when kids come from the stands to the floor for this purpose. Of course, I never gave it much thought as a teenager. With that said, I don't see it as a major issue, either.

If I were in charge, I'd keep the kids in the stands, but let them yell, wave, and be as rowdy as they want so long as they keep some distance from the sideline. That would apply throughout the game, not just during an inbounds play.

The bolded. :thumb: Nobody is saying that the Crazies can't be loud and crazy. Nobody is saying that we need to take away the fun and enthusiasm from their high school experience. I also appreciate the Crazies because they do a great service for other NKY teams, by upping the ante for other schools to also bring out their fan base.

As a former 9th region player, I always thought it funny because it wasn't bothering me and thought that they were wasting their time. You teach kids to play till they hear a whistle, not someone or group ranting in the stands. Now as a spectator I find it hilarious watching the "crazies" knowing that, that player felt just like I did many years ago, but it is funnier now because I can actually focus on "inbound show" and laugh out loud like I wanted to years ago!