Should The Colonel Crazies' Treatment Of Inbounders Have To Change?

Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?

• It's fine just as it is.
    • It would be okay if the students remained completely in the stands.
    • Needs to go all together.
    • Who cares?

I asked in the CovCath/Trinity thread, and none of our BGP officials responded .. what is the call if the inbounder is interfered with, either intentionally, or unintentionally? Seems there should be some penalty.

Good question - hopefully a T and an ejection of the interfering fan.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also from the final score thread, in response to a comment about whether or not it happens elsewhere in high school/college/professional basketball:

Great example, but the difference is the Duke kids are in the bleachers and NOT at court level or actually on the court with their heckling.

The bottom line is this: the crazies provide an atmosphere that is unparalleled in the state, and it's fun for both teams on the court. There is no "negative energy" in yelling at the opposition when they are in-bounding the ball. If obscene comments were being made, I could understand any concerns, but there are no reports of that happening to my knowledge.

To the point of intimidation, that is the entire idea behind a student section. It's a part of home court advantage. Leave the crazies alone, and let them do their thing. As long as the refs are okay with it, you should be okay with it as well. IMO, more schools should attempt to emulate the crazies in the future.

I asked in the CovCath/Trinity thread, and none of our BGP officials responded .. what is the call if the inbounder is interfered with, either intentionally, or unintentionally? Seems there should be some penalty.

This would be an unsporting technical. This is a game management issue to resolve. If intentional, a would expect an ejection.

This would be an unsporting technical. This is a game management issue to resolve. If intentional, a would expect an ejection.

If and when it happens I guarantee you Charlie Hartman is kicking the kid out. There would be no need for game management.

True story 1989-90. I was an asst. principal at another 9th region high school. We were playing Cov Cath at home and our kids asked me if they could do it. I said sure , but no getting on the floor, cursing, and I will be standing there.

The Crazies were doing their thing. 1st time, I kid you not, the Cov Cath player inbounded the ball in front of our high school section, the ref looked at me and told me to settle them down. I said sure when you settle theirs down. He said theirs was a tradition and that it was expected. ours was not, therefore, settle mine down or he would throw them out of the gym. I almost forced him to do it, however, I had to set an example and quiet them. I don't remember the Crazies quite as organized then other than reading the newspaper when the opposing team was introduced. They were still pretty intimidating.

Not been a fan since of their antics. I am not a fan, but if they do it and they will just keep them in the bleachers.

It was probably the official, though. Always thought he was over the top anyway. I did call to inquire the head of officials. He empathized, but said the official was in control.

Thanks BB..that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

It seems this "problem" would go away the first time that happens. A resourceful player could utilize that rule to their advantage very easily, and no one would have room to argue. Imagine a late-game situation in a key district seeding contest where a player were interfered with. 2 shots, plus possession. Are you reading Mr Schrand/Mr Listerman?!

I am a fan of the student body. My Son is looking forward to the crazies and yes he will be inbounding the ball. The Grandmas all ask why is that group having so much fun. I am all for enthusiastic fun and students in the stands. Look at Monmouth and the bench celebrations how cool. 4 years to have fun folks for athletes and the students.

People always ask why I attend so many CCH games, since my son attended Villa and daughter NDA I really have no affiliation with CCH so the answer must be the atmosphere at their games is electric. Chalk that up to the fans/students. People who attend the games against CCH always say they have wanted to see the crazies and they are never disappointed.

Bottom line is this is one of many routines, all of which are edgy and pre planned. Make these kids sit on their hands and we lose a true Kentucky High School treasure. Isolated it looks a bit ify but put the entire evening into perspective and it makes for a wonderful spectacle for both teams and their fans. Only a few who are too uptight about the game seem to complain.

Leave the boys alone as the administration has it well in hand.