Should The Colonel Crazies' Treatment Of Inbounders Have To Change?

Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Colonel Crazies' Inbounding Routine Okay?

• It's fine just as it is.
    • It would be okay if the students remained completely in the stands.
    • Needs to go all together.
    • Who cares?

Lots of talk about this in the Trinity/Covington Catholic results thread. I figured I'd give it its own separate discussion.

From the results thread:

thsrocks:

The CovCath student body needs to be hemmed in. Two adults trying to stand in front of these teenagers on inbounds plays is insufficient. This ridiculous behavior is not tolerated in Jefferson County and is not allowed at Bellarmine University.

Lawnboy13:

I love watching the "crazies" giving the inbounds player "the business"......it's been going on for years. NKY teams know it's coming when they play CovCath.

footballfan18:

Oh boo hoo , the Crazies were just fine tonight, as they are every night. Saw Trinity parents laughing and enjoying them all night. They do that for every team who comes to play at CCH. They never touch the players. The refs allow it, and the administration allows it (and they don't allow much anymore). They were more than fine.

Big Crazy:

Totally agree!! Love watching the crazies. Heck sometime I catch myself watching them instead of the game. Lol. Innocent fun!

CecilB:

I have no problem with the crazies, except for when the opposing team is taking the ball out in front of them. I think it is poor sportmanship and at some point something is going to go wrong if it is continued to be allowed. I know the response will be that nothing has ever happened, so I guess it should be allowed to go on until something does.

uk#1fan:

The crazies are the best last time I seen them the Hulkster was with them.

Lawnboy13:

Like I said, it has been going on for umteen years now, WITHOUT incident. Hell, most times the inbounds player is laughing about it.

paNDA:

That player inbounding the ball in my pictures always wants that picture. They love it.

ggclfan:

Thanks for posting that video Panda. Now that I have seen it, I don't think that should be legal. Yell all you want, imitate the other coach, etc... but you should not be able to get that close to a kid inbounding the ball IMO. I have never seen that at any other HS game or college or certainly not in the NBA. Just my opinion...

Lawnboy13:

I love it, and I'm a NewCath guy. Most opposing players take it has a "badge of honor".

B-Ball-fan:

I generally find the Crazies taunting the inbound pass player funny, but every time it happens, though it appears that the refs are making sure that the guys stay far enough back, I still wonder if the player is always awarded enough ample room to move his arms freely depending the circumstances he is experiencing while trying to get the pass in, and to the player he is targeting. He should at the least be able to have all the room necessary without be cramped, and if he becomes cramped, that's where I would object. His free movement should not be the least bit stifled or compromised.

CecilB:

I have spoken to some officials that do not like the actions of the crazies on the inbounds in front of them, but do not want to be the ones to make waves over it, so they put up with it.

hoops5:

There you have it. Officials timid against the almighty Crazies. Just because they have always done it, that does not make it right. Be respectful. Word.

citycat:

It is inappropriate, they leave their seats (or seating position). They should be required to stay or stand in their seats and not move towards a player.

Qryche11:

I love the Crazies but tgey should be restricted to their seats. JMO

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the fact that the students come out and are so supportive of their team. You don't see that as much as in days past. I wish more schools had such support.

That being said, I think their actions on inbounds plays is excessive. I don't believe any fans should be allowed to, in effect, surround the player inbounding the ball as they do.

I am not an official, and I can't say whether it is legal. But even if it is legal, I believe it goes beyond good sportsmanship. Go crazy screaming from your seats, yes. But don't leave your seats to try to intimidate a high school basketball player.

Does anyone really think the Crazies affect the inbounder? I love what they do, and want to see them keep it up. As has been stated several times here the opposing players are seen laughing and seem to enjoy it. I also do not think any one of them would say they feel that the crazies yelling at them during the inbounds affected their inbound play.

Does anyone recall the crazies causing the opposing player to either not get the ball in, or throw it away? I certainly do not.

Does anyone really think the Crazies affect the inbounder? I love what they do, and want to see them keep it up. As has been stated several times here the opposing players are seen laughing and seem to enjoy it. I also do not think any one of them would say they feel that the crazies yelling at them during the inbounds affected their inbound play.

Does anyone recall the crazies causing the opposing player to either not get the ball in, or throw it away? I certainly do not.

"Opposing players seem to be laughing and enjoying it". How else is someone suppose to react in that moment?

Also from the final score thread, in response to a comment about whether or not it happens elsewhere in high school/college/professional basketball:

What do you see in all of these D1 COLLEGE pictures that you do not see in a high school gym?

"Opposing players seem to be laughing and enjoying it". How else is someone suppose to react in that moment?

If it bothered them much, I would not expect them to be laughing. Maybe you would see scowls on their faces or something. I also think you would see mistakes made by them if they were at least flustered by the crazies.

Also from the final score thread, in response to a comment about whether or not it happens elsewhere in high school/college/professional basketball:

Two differences:

1. There is a barrier between the students at Duke and the player. The students at Duke are not as close to the player inbounding the ball.

2. I think there is a difference between high school and college. I have little doubt that a high school basketball player is very much more susceptible to such acts than a college basketball player playing a game at Duke.

Two differences:

1. There is a barrier between the students at Duke and the player. The students at Duke are not as close to the player inbounding the ball.

BINGO! Show me a barrier between the player and the Crazies, and they can get as crazy as they want.

Write to the head of officials, Julian Tackett, Governor Beshear, Governor Elect Bevin and the Vatican. Stick these young hooligans in a sound proof glass bubble!

The nerve of those young punk kids!

Stay off my lawn!