Duck Season

spindoc

I really want to try some duck on my smoker.

I do know that duck fat is very highly sought after in the cooking world according to my sister's boyfriend who is a chef. He actually took 3 mallards last season and dressed them and smoked them and saved the fat to cook other stuff with. He said he likes them in the smoker. He's got one of those giant big green egg deals. Takes up half of their deck.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My brother in law may rival Spindoc as the most avid duck hunter I know.

Just got back from Canada. He will do a trip out west as well as hunt the river.

Also is president of the local DU.

I want to go whack some snow geese. Surely you can come up with some front row snow geese pits in your travels TAC. Missouri, Kansas, doesn't matter. You get em, I'll drive.

I want to go whack some snow geese. Surely you can come up with some front row snow geese pits in your travels TAC. Missouri, Kansas, doesn't matter. You get em, I'll drive.

I think I could make that happen. My only issue is it conflicts with the most wonderful time of the year (hoops season). With the current location of the youngest TACster I may look into tying in a Reelfoot lake trip on a visit to see him?

My offer for a deer hunt in exchange for a duck hunt still stands.

I think I could make that happen. My only issue is it conflicts with the most wonderful time of the year (hoops season). With the current location of the youngest TACster I may look into tying in a Reelfoot lake trip on a visit to see him?

My offer for a deer hunt in exchange for a duck hunt still stands.

You don't have to trade a thing. Come on down.

Just inherited my dads Remington 1100 12 gage. Never been duck hunting...is the 1100 a good model for it?

Sure. Depends on the year. If it's old enough to have interchangeable barrels then you need one that you can effectively shoot steel out of. Most of the barrels on the older models ( I have 2) are lead shot only. However, if it's a newer model that has threaded choke tubes, you can simply buy a steel shot choke tube and you're golden.

Inspired by Uncle Si Jack?

I too want to go hunting and duck sounds like a fun one to try.

Well, let's go. The duck boat had some issues last year. I asked CWB if he was interested and I think I ended up replacing the motor. However, knock on wood, the new honda 4stroke is money. And thank God my boat is long enough that we won't have to fold you to get you in it. Ha

Well, let's go.

What do I need? I have my grandfather's 16 guage shot gun but ammunition seems to be fading out in favor of people going to 12 and 20 gauge. Do I need cammoflouge clothing or will the blind suffice?

Sure. Depends on the year. If it's old enough to have interchangeable barrels then you need one that you can effectively shoot steel out of. Most of the barrels on the older models ( I have 2) are lead shot only. However, if it's a newer model that has threaded choke tubes, you can simply buy a steel shot choke tube and you're golden.

I just saw this. Any chance you could take a look at the 16 gauge mentioned? I have no clue if it meets the requirements you mentioned. I know hand guns, not shot guns.

What do I need? I have my grandfather's 16 guage shot gun but ammunition seems to be fading out in favor of people going to 12 and 20 gauge. Do I need cammoflouge clothing or will the blind suffice?

Well, you need some cold weather gear. I'd suggest coveralls and warm boots among other things, and camo would be preferable but we would be inside the boat so that wouldn't be a big deal as long as you weren't neon, ha. As for the gun, it's funny, I was in Cabelas yesterday and saw some 16ga steel. But to my knowledge, I've never seen a barrel for a 16 that would accept it, unless it's newer with an appropriate choke tube, and I'll assume if it was your grandfathers it isn't. Steel and Hevi-shot will damage your barrel and I know you wouldn't want that for that gun. I shoot a 12. Ammo is common and less expensive. And we sometimes have geese to shoot at. A goose is usually farther than you estimate because they're so big, and they'd likely laugh at a 20ga, maybe even give it a stiff arm as it flies off honking in amusement.:lol2: