Muzzleloading season

TAC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All in, like the week before Christmas. Double checked the blind and micro plot last night, re-hung 2 stands, did some general snoop scouting of the area, been charting my sunrise times, test fires tonight....

Just for good measure, cooked up these last night...

Wraps.jpg

So who is heading out this weekend? Just cleaned up the Knight getting ready for the weekend. Couldn't help to think about dad, the reason I got into hunting.

The bolded couldn't be any more truer for me. My step dad got me into fire arms and hunting at a very young age. First deer hunt I was on he took a buck with an old muzzle loader. I was instantly hooked.

He passed away a few months ago, and had been sick for years with dementia so he hadn't been on a hunt in 5-6 years. I took my first buck (8 pointer) three years ago when he could still understand most of what I was saying to him. Seeing his face light up when I told him, and showed him pictures is something I'll keep with me forever.

I'll certainly be thinking of him this weekend while I'm in the stand. Just had the muzzle loader out Monday sighting it in. Excited for hunting season to start up!

I'm in a similar shape. My dad and hunting partner for my entire life is with hospice in end stage liver failure as a direct result of agent orange exposure from Vietnam and a tumor the size of a baseball has taken over 3 years to whoop him but is about to do just that. So, I'll spend muzzleloader season with the one who taught me, and reminisce of the times we spent in the top of an oak tree or in a ground blind on my farm.

I'm in a similar shape. My dad and hunting partner for my entire life is with hospice in end stage liver failure as a direct result of agent orange exposure from Vietnam and a tumor the size of a baseball has taken over 3 years to whoop him but is about to do just that. So, I'll spend muzzleloader season with the one who taught me, and reminisce of the times we spent in the top of an oak tree or in a ground blind on my farm.

The bolded couldn't be any more truer for me. My step dad got me into fire arms and hunting at a very young age. First deer hunt I was on he took a buck with an old muzzle loader. I was instantly hooked.

He passed away a few months ago, and had been sick for years with dementia so he hadn't been on a hunt in 5-6 years. I took my first buck (8 pointer) three years ago when he could still understand most of what I was saying to him. Seeing his face light up when I told him, and showed him pictures is something I'll keep with me forever.

I'll certainly be thinking of him this weekend while I'm in the stand. Just had the muzzle loader out Monday sighting it in. Excited for hunting season to start up!

This is what non hunters don't understand. The bonding that hunting creates.

My dad's buddies still hunt with me and they are all over 75 years old. While most of them get around pretty darn good, I still have a couple of low to the ground stands that are easy in/out. If they get one, us 'kids' are there to drag them out. Just got a text from one of the dads thanking me for checking the stand on my farm that he always hunts out of and loading corn around it. Very touching. Can't wait for the weekend.

This is what non hunters don't understand. The bonding that hunting creates.

My dad's buddies still hunt with me and they are all over 75 years old. While most of them get around pretty darn good, I still have a couple of low to the ground stands that are easy in/out. If they get one, us 'kids' are there to drag them out. Just got a text from one of the dads thanking me for checking the stand on my farm that he always hunts out of and loading corn around it. Very touching. Can't wait for the weekend.

Exactly!

It's may be early but I saw a solid typical 8 point ( 140ish ) in Boone County yesterday at 7:05am with nose to the ground on a trot....about 20 yards in front of my car, crossing the road ( I'm not telling which road :lol2: ) !

Thinking this weekend may be epic with the frost into Saturday morning. Have fun, be safe, and thanks for honoring the hunting tradition!

All in, like the week before Christmas. Double checked the blind and micro plot last night, re-hung 2 stands, did some general snoop scouting of the area, been charting my sunrise times, test fires tonight....

Just for good measure, cooked up these last night...

[ATTACH]52670[/ATTACH]

Bacon wrapped or bust...:thumb:

It's may be early but I saw a solid typical 8 point ( 140ish ) in Boone County yesterday at 7:05am with nose to the ground on a trot....about 20 yards in front of my car, crossing the road ( I'm not telling which road :lol2: ) !

Thinking this weekend may be epic with the frost into Saturday morning. Have fun, be safe, and thanks for honoring the hunting tradition!

Agreed. I become the alter ego of NWO this time of year. We have a front moving in, bringing colder air, likely the first frost, with a reasonably warm fall day to follow...get in the stands, stay there, breathe and squeeze....