Central 20 St. Xavier 17

price499

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observations from the game:

Central:

Played fearless and inspired football. Their QB is the best passer that they have had in at least 10 years. It certainly added an element to their offense. They ran their traditional 2-back option schemes mostly from Gun instead from their usual under-center alignment. They were effective with quick passes such as flares and bubble screens, as well as several intermediate Curl routes. They threw the ball deep 3 or 4 times, connecting on 1 and drawing a pass interference on another. On defense, Central played a lot of man coverage and loaded the box to stop the run. When St. X started to get some big plays in the second half, Central played more Zone coverage with a middle safety. However, when they needed stops in the 4th quarter, they went back to loading the box and playing Man. Although not great, Central's special teams were better than usual. They had a really good long snapper, a decent punter, and a decent kickoff man. They struggles with extra points, but some of that could have been due to the wet field conditions. Overall, Central played well and made plays in all three phases. Case in point, the go-ahead touchdown was on a catch over the middle where two St. X defenders were in decent position, but the Central receiver wrestled the ball away before running another 15-20 yards into the end zone. A phenomenal athletic play.

St. X:

The Tigers were very sluggish in the first half. They did not block well, dropped several passes and interception opportunities, and basically played uninspired. It was very apparent that they took longer than normal to get adjusted to playing on grass, as it was their first game of the season doing so. The St. X offense struggled with the athleticism and aggressiveness of the Central defense. I think the St. X passing game was 1 - 6 before the final drive, where they got a few completions against a prevent-type defense before ultimately getting stopped on downs. The QB (Ridder) did have some nice runs in the third quarter, including a long scoring run on the first play of the second half. He was stymied in the 4th quarter, though. Just not much consistency on offense all night long. On defense, the Tigers struggled with Central's option game and passing game. The St. X special teams were pretty good. Kickoff and punt coverage was decent. They made both attempted extra points and their only attempted FG. I am not sure why Coach Wolford elected to go for it on a 4th and 3 from the 17 yard line midway through the 4th quarter to make it an 8 point lead when they had success in the kicking game earlier. It ended up being a very costly decision.

My biggest concern is with the new St. X shotgun spread offense in wet conditions on a grass field. While the Tigers have done some good things on offense in their first two games, they were both played on turf in ideal conditions. I just think that there should be the ability in any offense to get under center and play with 1 or more TE's at times when the conditions warrant it. To not be able to do so is not having a complete offense, in my opinion.

Overall, it was a bad loss for the Tigers. They not only lost on the scoreboard, they were also out-hustled and out-hit. They also had several unforced errors, including at least 5 defensive offsides penalties. They definitely let a very win able game slip away with uninspired play and playing with a flawed offensive scheme for the weather elements that were presented to them in the game.

This win is not surprising to me. Coach Scoggins, Coach Leach,and the whole cast of great coaching just goes to show. Any given Friday anything can happen.