39 Years Ago Today....they gave us "More Than a Feeling"

Lawnboy13

On August 25th, 1976 one of the most iconic albums of All-Time, and a debut album at that, Boston’s “Boston” took the US and the world by storm. The album has been referred to as a landmark in 1970's rock and has been included on many lists of essential albums.

Boston-band-boston-30118386-500-445.jpg

In the era of Disco, this album achieved unbelievable success, as it only took 3 weeks to be certified Gold (500,000 copies), Platinum (1,000,000 copies) after 3 months, and 6X Platinum a year after it’s release. For over 25 years it was the Best Selling Debut Album in the United States, until passing that honor to Guns N’ Rose’s “Appetite for Destruction”. As of 2003 the album as sold over 17 million copies in the US and over 25 million worldwide.

The album produced three singles becoming Top 40 hits, “More Than a Feeling” #5 , “Foreplay/Longtime” #22 , & “Piece of Mind” #38 . The album itself reached #3 on the Billboard charts and stayed there for an amazing 11 years.:eek: To this day all 8 tracks on the album are regularly heard on classic rock radio stations all over the US.

Every track on the album was produced in guitarist Tom Scholz basement studio, with the exception of "Let Me Take You Home Tonight". The album was a virtual copy of the demo tapes, and was recorded for a cost of a few thousand dollars!!!!!:eek::eek:

Hard to believe that they were turned down by just about every record label, and only got a recording deal by chance!!!!

If you are not aware of the “mastermind” of Boston, Tom Scholz, or the story of how it came to being just read the following…..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_(album)

BTW, he has a master's degree from MIT, and was still working for the Polaroid Corporation in the product development division after the album was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

This.

Beethoven is fine, too. I come from a classical family background. My father played cello in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for 44 years. He would have thought (when he was alive) that "Boston" meant "Pops".

My brother-in-law gave this album to me for my 13th Birthday, and I absolutely played it to death, as well as the followup "Don't Look Back in '78.

I don't think that I had ever been so excited about a birthday gift in my life.

At this time in my early teens I lived, breathed, and slept Boston along with Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, ELO, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Yes, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and the Eagles. No doubt I'm overlooking many more.

I'm pretty sure that this Boston album was the very first album in my personal collection, not counting the Partridge Family album I got for Xmas when I was about 8.

I remember also being obsessed with looking at the album cover, and I drew it color for color on my school folder, and amazingly did a pretty good job at it. I wish that I would've kept that folder.

I did get Third Stage when it came out, but never played it nearly as much as I had the first two. By that time I was deep into various other forms of music and it didn't hold for me then nearly the same amount of excitement it had when I was 13 or 14.

It would be interesting now to listen to it from a different perspective.

I still have my 3 Boston albums on vinyl, but never updated to CD nor have I spinned them in quite a while as I don't have a turn table.

If a Boston song does come on classic radio, I don't touch the dial simply because it's always fun to instantly be taken back to that exciting time when I was just beginning my album collection and every day I was discovering more and more favorite bands.

My brother-in-law gave this album to me for my 13th Birthday, and I absolutely played it to death, as well as the followup "Don't Look Back in '78.

I don't think that I had ever been so excited about a birthday gift in my life.

At this time in my early teens I lived, breathed, and slept Boston along with Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, ELO, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Yes, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and the Eagles. No doubt I'm overlooking many more.

I'm pretty sure that this Boston album was the very first album in my personal collection, not counting the Partridge Family album I got for Xmas when I was about 8.

I remember also being obsessed with looking at the album cover, and I drew it color for color on my school folder, and amazingly did a pretty good job at it. I wish that I would've kept that folder.

I did get Third Stage when it came out, but never played it nearly as much as I had the first two. By that time I was deep into various other forms of music and it didn't hold for me then nearly the same amount of excitement it had when I was 13 or 14.

It would be interesting now to listen to it from a different perspective.

I still have my 3 Boston albums on vinyl, but never updated to CD nor have I spinned them in quite a while as I don't have a turn table.

If a Boston song does come on classic radio, I don't touch the dial simply because it's always fun to instantly be taken back to that exciting time when I was just beginning my album collection and every day I was discovering more and more favorite bands.

I laughed a good 10 seconds reading this.

Excellent take @B-Ball-fan. You might want to give Third Stage another listen, good stuff.

Corporate America, which came out in 2002, introduces new band members and vocalist on various tracks. Brad Delp still sings on most of the tracks though.

Give this one a listen......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbpEuarvrhI

I listen to Boston, Don't Look Back, Third Stage, & Corporate America in their entirety at least 3 times a week while delivering.....they never get old.

If I only had that picture of you and the mullet and muscle shirt....would be a perfect day

Listened to my Dad's LP as a kid and loved em. Saw them live in 03' @ Riverbend. I was in the 4th row and they sounded perfect. Brad Delp and Tom Scholz are two of the greatest musicians ever.

Third Stage came out my Senior yr of High School and hearing that takes me back to some great times. Thanks for sharing LB.....I will be playing them on my Spotify today while at the gym.