Louisville City FC - New Soccer Stadium

This is going to be an awesome area. Can’t wait!

I'm guessing it will be a grass surface. However, if they went with turf, the KHSAA should call TODAY about playing the football finals there. It would be an ideal-sized facility for the games.

EDIT: Just read it would seat 10,000 - probably too small for 6A and maybe some other classes in that situation.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing it will be a grass surface. However, if they went with turf, the KHSAA should call TODAY about playing the football finals there. It would be an ideal-sized facility for the games.

EDIT: Just read it would seat 10,000 - probably too small for 6A and maybe some other classes in that situation.

The stadium size is my one disappointment. Louisville City averages right around 8,500 and their lowest attendance is 6,700...but their highest attended game at Louisville Slugger has been 13,800. They're building a stadium that is over 25% smaller than their best selling game when they were located in a crappy stadium. I realize they don't want to build a stadium that's going to look like a ghost town when they aren't playing in a big game, but I think it needs to be at least a little bigger than 10,000.

The stadium size is my one disappointment. Louisville City averages right around 8,500 and their lowest attendance is 6,700...but their highest attended game at Louisville Slugger has been 13,800. They're building a stadium that is over 25% smaller than their best selling game when they were located in a crappy stadium. I realize they don't want to build a stadium that's going to look like a ghost town when they aren't playing in a big game, but I think it needs to be at least a little bigger than 10,000.

You are guaranteed to sell 0% of the seats you dont have. I dont get it either, why not 13-15K seating?

I think 12,500 would be a better number, with standing room options.

I think 12,500 would be a better number, with standing room options.

That's pretty reasonable.

One thing that I guess is also possible would be designing it to be able to expand with an upper seating tier somewhere. Who knows...maybe that's what's going on here. Just a complete spit-ball idea, but it's possible.

Maybe they'll develop some type of expandable seating on an as-needed basis?

Stadium is supposedly designed to be easily expandable to up to 20,000 seats.

I can’t fault them. This isn’t UofL where they can get a bunch of donors and take out some municipal bonds to get it built.

The ownership is building this thing themselves (the city is only in on securing property rights and infrastructure changes) and so it’s all on them. Lower division soccer in this country is still a pretty big gamble for investors.

Aaaaaand now we have it:

"FCC President and General Manager Jeff Berding had previously said, without addressing specifics, that there would be no negative impact on the school.

But at Monday’s meeting, he finally said what residents were waiting to hear.

Berding proposed that if the West End were to be picked, there would be a land exchange, that Stargell Stadium would be rebuilt and relocated to make room for FCC’s."

FC Cincinnati wants to relocate high school field if West End is selected

• 3 months later...

Well that was just about the last hurdle...

Kentucky Finance Cabinet approved the TIF district in the Butchertown neighborhood, clearing the way for Louisville City to start construction.

One of the team’s ownership group said yesterday that they expect to have a groundbreaking sometime before the end of June. Barring some sort of last-minute surprise, this project is on schedule to be completed by the start of the 2020 season.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was back home this weekend and went to the game at Slugger and drove in past the new stadium. Crazy to see the steel framework actually going up.

Lots of stuff going on around there with the work on the waterfront botanical gardens next to the river directly on the other side of the highway from the stadium site.

• 2 months later...