Louisville City FC - New Soccer Stadium

May have been discussed before. But how long, if ever, would it take the USA to go to relegation like in other countries? Most notably England. Seems legit and most every city has some form of a soccer club. If he MLS would be open to that, then stadiums like Louisvilles could be a realistic dream in a lot of cities

Completely agree with you. Relegation is single-handedly what makes the Premiere League as great as it is. As far as I know, the MLS has rejected the idea of relegation when it has been brought up in the past...but I can't help but wonder if they will ever catch on as they see small market teams have attendance fizzle, and others periodically go belly up like Chivas USA, the Miami Fusion, and the Tampa Mutiny.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My older brother got me onto the Premeir league and I have to admit, mostly bc they speak English and NBCSN does a great job, is why I watch any game when I can. The whole relegation thing intrigues me the most, makes teams step their games up to be competitive. If the NFL ever could do this the Bengals would be screwed.

• 5 months later...

Press conference announcing that the financing for this deal is now in place. Private investment group is going to pony up $200 million for the project and the city is going to take on $30 million to secure and clean up the property, half of which is to be paid back.

Here's a fact sheet they were distributing at the presser:

IMG_0522.JPG

That's basically how I would look at it, yeah. In the end, $15 Million out of pocket for the stadium for the city isn't that bad.

I like this one a lot more than the silly deal they signed to get that Omni Hotel built. City and state jointly on the hook for over $100 million on that one. Let's hope the TIF projections are more accurate down on Second and Ali than they were at Second and Main.

Oh geez. Made the mistake of pointing out on Twitter that the "no taxpayer dollars for stadium construction" is immediately undermined by the fact that the city is securing the financing for buying the property.

Getting blasted.

I just hope they went over and above when it comes to soils testing for the site. As I understand it, a fair amount of the property was an auto graveyard for a good number of years, and sites like that are INFAMOUS for having untold amounts of fluids leaked into the ground for years and years by old junk cars. Abatement for contaminated soils is one of the most expensive ventures in the construction industry.

If I buy a property where I'm told I have a million dollars in contaminated soil abatement, I'm budgeting at LEAST 3 million.

I sure hope it works out. I honestly love the spot for the stadium (with the exception of worrying about what it will do to the enjoyably "underground" environment of nearby Sergios World Beers)...I've got my fingers crossed the site doesn't turn out to be an un-planned fly in the ointment.

I just hope they went over and above when it comes to soils testing for the site. As I understand it, a fair amount of the property was an auto graveyard for a good number of years, and sites like that are INFAMOUS for having untold amounts of fluids leaked into the ground for years and years by old junk cars. Abatement for contaminated soils is one of the most expensive ventures in the construction industry.

If I buy a property where I'm told I have a million dollars in contaminated soil abatement, I'm budgeting at LEAST 3 million.

I sure hope it works out. I honestly love the spot for the stadium (with the exception of worrying about what it will do to the enjoyably "underground" environment of nearby Sergios World Beers)...I've got my fingers crossed the site doesn't turn out to be an un-planned fly in the ointment.

If they could handle the soil at Papa John's (was formerly the L & N railroad yards), this will be no problem.

Financing plan submitted to Metro Council today by Barbara Sexton Smith (D-9th).

Seems like the best possible day to go all in on Lou City. College sports are dumb! Want a hooker? That's between you and the law! Want to get paid to play? No problem, that's exactly what it says in your contract!

• 1 month later...

The Metro Council vote on the financing deal for the stadium is tonight. Line around the building of people trying to get into City Hall for the meeting. Council chambers and the overflow room are at capacity.

Lots of last minute dealing on wage guarantees and further assurances on investment by Lou City FC's owners. Very different deal than the one initially submitted to Metro Council a month ago.

The Metro Council vote on the financing deal for the stadium is tonight. Line around the building of people trying to get into City Hall for the meeting. Council chambers and the overflow room are at capacity.

Lots of last minute dealing on wage guarantees and further assurances on investment by Lou City FC's owners. Very different deal than the one initially submitted to Metro Council a month ago.

Do you know how the vote went?

They've got a link to a PDF of tonight's actual signed agreement in the WAVE3 article. They agreed to (among other things) $12 per hour minimum wages for all LCFC employees, and $10 per hour minimum wages for all stadium employees.

WAVE : Louisville City FC reaches new stadium agreement ahead of Metro Council vote