Louisville City FC - New Soccer Stadium

There are days I hate being right. Sports owners are just the worst.

Louisville City FC being courted by another town, franchise chairman says

He hands this garbage to the press just a few hours before his meeting with the mayor and the head of the supporters' group regarding possible construction of a soccer-specific stadium. Now he seems shocked that the supporters are furious with him.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are days I hate being right. Sports owners are just the worst.

Louisville City FC being courted by another town, franchise chairman says

He hands this garbage to the press just a few hours before his meeting with the mayor and the head of the supporters' group regarding possible construction of a soccer-specific stadium. Now he seems shocked that the supporters are furious with him.

That guy is a Class A scumbag.

I love how in the caption of the photo in the link from the OP, it says Mayor Fischer had to come take over the microphone because Estopinol got choked up as he was talking about the support he and the LSFC got here in Louisville, and now he's doing this crap. What a slimy, fake, horse's rear. That guy...ughh!

Now you're being emotional and crazy. Who is going to have better bourbon? NKY or St. Poopis?

That's fair. I apologize for my outburst.

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing soccer at Nippert next year. Already planning a trip for whatever weekend the schedule sends LouCity up there. If they can get anything close to 10k in that stadium by the end of the year, it'll be a really nice atmosphere for soccer.

As an update on this, there was a banner headline on the sports page of the C-J that read "'Positive Announcement' Coming". Speculation has been that it's some sort of early stage announcement on stadium planning. Nobody really knows for sure but a few government folks and the brass at LouCity and so far no one's saying anything.

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing soccer at Nippert next year. Already planning a trip for whatever weekend the schedule sends LouCity up there. If they can get anything close to 10k in that stadium by the end of the year, it'll be a really nice atmosphere for soccer.

I should have tickets for you. My friend and I went in for 3 season tickets a piece. I doubt that my boys will want to go all that often. I'll reserve one for you.

Not to mention how handsome John Harkes is going to look.

Not to mention how handsome John Harkes is going to look.

No doubt.

Speaking of coaches, it was hilarious when Orlando came to town earlier this week. The coach here in Louisville, James O'Connor, used to be at Orlando and was a player/assistant under their coach, Adrian Heath. When they went to shake hands before the game, I had to laugh out loud because they were both wearing the exact same outfit: white oxford shirt, black pants, no tie, black shoes. I think O'Connor may be taking the protege thing a bit too far...

It immediately made me think of my favorite protege clone: the basketball coach at UMass, Derek Kellogg. The dude dresses and wears his hair EXACTLY like his former boss, John Calipari.

• 11 months later...

Study says Louisville City FC needs new 10,000-seat stadium

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A new study says Louisville needs a stadium made for soccer if the sport is going to continue growing in the city.

The study, paid for by the city of Louisville, was conducted by the firm Convention, Sports & Leisure.

Louisville City FC currently plays at Slugger Field, but this new study calls for a soccer-specific stadium that can hold 10,000 fans.

In the team's inaugural 2015 season, attendance averaged more than 7,000 fans per game, the second-highest among 24 USL teams and more than double the league average attendance.

The study calls for the new stadium to be built by 2020 but didn't recommend a location. It would cost between $30 million and $50 million.

“We are thrilled this study confirms the support, steps and feasibility for a soccer-specific stadium in Louisville," team president Amanda Duffy said. "The success Louisville City has experienced on and off the field has been resounding, and we look forward to working closely with members of Metro Council and other civic leaders to take the next steps as recommended by this study.”

A few months back, Metro Councilman Dan Johnson sponsored an ordinance that would pave the way to build a stadium near Champions Park near Zorn Avenue and I-71.

Digging a deeper into the study, only 15 out of the 29 United Soccer League teams play in soccer-specific stadiums.

The study also found that the majority of season ticket holders live within 10 miles of Slugger Field, suggesting a stadium location near the downtown area would be best.

In the past five years, five soccer-specific stadiums have been built in USL markets, ranging in cost from $4 million to $25 million.

Louisville's population of 1.7 million people ranks 19th highest among the 26 U.S-based USL markets.

There apparently was a separate section of the study dealing with potential locations that was not made public as the city is permitted to keep sealed any records dealing with possible property acquisitions in order to ward off land speculation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wayne Estopinal was replaced as club chairman by Mr. John Neace last week.The club's statement said that they believe that he'll be an effective leader through the push for this stadium project, whereas Estopinal was still running his architecture firm full time. Estopinal was instrumental in the team coming to Louisville and was always around talking to supporters and fans, for that reason alone, I'll miss him.

Here's hoping Neace really is the man for the job.

John Neace named club chairman, CEO

• 3 months later...