Enquirer On Cov Cath - "Eviston Bringing Title Expectations Back To Cov Cath"

Eviston bringing title expectations back to CovCath

In three years as the head football coach at Newport Central Catholic, Eddie Eviston led the Thoroughbreds to state championships in his first (2010) and last seasons (2012) before accepting a position as the offensive coordinator at Georgetown College. Now, Eviston is hoping to bring similar immediate success to Covington Catholic.

"Every program should have that (state championship or bust) attitude," Eviston said. "Deep down I don't know if that's a reality for every program or not, but I think at Covington Catholic, with the type of program it is, that should be a realistic goal every year. We're coming in here as a staff and coaching these guys up for that ultimate goal.

"I've never been a three- or five-year plan guy. Let's get after it now."

Achieving that ultimate goal won't be easy.

Since he was announced as head coach, the last five months have been a whirlwind for Eviston. For most of the offseason, he was commuting from Georgetown to Covington for conditioning with his team. Since summer camp started, the Colonels haven't practiced on their home field once due to new turf being installed, which has meant roughing it on a sloppy grass field behind the school's campus or finding other venues, such as the turf soccer field at Town & Country in Wilder.

Then there's the football aspect of the job where Eviston and his staff have to install a new offensive and defensive system, familiarize the team with new verbiage, and evaluate all of their players to figure out optimal lineups. A new coaching staff means a fresh start for all of the players in the program. As a result, competition has been stiff at most positions during the Colonels' summer camp.

Have talked to a few parents and players, they say the attitude is a 180 deg. from the last couple of years. The coach are very positive, there is no belittling of players.The players are in the best shape they have ever been, The playbook is very simple, I was told there is 6 basic play but with a handful of options off of them.Now will this equal more win, who knows, but I bet there will be no more Beechwood games.

I sincerely hope that Coach Eviston can restore CovCath's "elite" status. They belong in that upper tier with Highlands, Trinity, Bowling Green etc. He gives off the vibe like he's the guy for the job. I just hope the CovCath faithful will cut him some slack if they take a few lumps in year one because navigating that schedule will be a bear.

I sincerely hope that Coach Eviston can restore CovCath's "elite" status. They belong in that upper tier with Highlands, Trinity, Bowling Green etc. He gives off the vibe like he's the guy for the job. I just hope the CovCath faithful will cut him some slack if they take a few lumps in year one because navigating that schedule will be a bear.

You and me both, man.

Have talked to a few parents and players, they say the attitude is a 180 deg. from the last couple of years. The coach are very positive, there is no belittling of players.The players are in the best shape they have ever been, The playbook is very simple, I was told there is 6 basic play but with a handful of options off of them.Now will this equal more win, who knows, but I bet there will be no more Beechwood games.

Ummm....Eviston has a losing record against Beechwood. :sssh:

Ahhhh ....Let me enjoy that while I can. It is going to be very, very tough for the Tigers to beat CCH the next couple years.

As long as CCH keeps injuries to a minimum who cares how tough the schedule is this year. The only thing that matters is beating Highlands in the postseason. That, and an extra win over the Bluebirds in the regular season are the only measuring sticks for the CovCath program right now, everything else is noise.

As long as CCH keeps injuries to a minimum who cares how tough the schedule is this year. The only thing that matters is beating Highlands in the postseason. That, and an extra win over the Bluebirds in the regular season are the only measuring sticks for the CovCath program right now, everything else is noise.

I think the noise will be made if Cov Cath can pull off some wins against some of the big Ohio schools. Then beat HHS in the regular season. After that, it's who wants it more in the playoffs. If Cov Cath stays healthy, look out come playoff time.

I don't know if Highlands is a good measuring stick this year. Quite a few teams seem to be very good this year, especially the out of state opponents. I love my Birds, but have a lot of concerns about this years team.