Apple Music

He's lucky I didn't know that when I met him last Saturday or I would have taken him out myself!!:sneaky: All kidding aside, it's something I feel strongly about, as I've seen the first hand effects of illegal downloading. And the labels and artists are partially to blame because instead of embracing the technology and trying to monetize it from the beginning, most fought it. And once the cat was out of the bag, they've been fighting an uphill battle ever since. Something like Apple music could have been done years ago, and at a price that would have made everyone happy. Had the labels created this early on at a good price, illegal downloads would never have been as big an issue as they became.

We are on the same page, theft is theft and illegally downloading music is theft.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or until labels go out of business, and new young artists never get into the business because there's no money to be made. I used to work in the industry, and illegal downloading put a lot of companies and people out of work (including myself) in the early 2000's. And while the labels and artists played a part in that by not embracing downloading early on, artists and labels have lost billions to illegal downloads, and many up and coming artists, and even some established artists just stopped focusing on producing new music, which hurts everyone in the long run. I will always pay for my music out of respect for the artists.

I used to download songs and albums in the past, but I pony up for them now to support the artists. It's easier now that I buy a lot of vinyl, but I still don't mind paying

Sounds great, but how is $10.00 going to be divided between Apple and the artist for the thousands of songs PP downloaded. Does Apple pay artist a flat rate for their music or is it more like .0002 cents per download?

It is an ongoing subscription and I strongly assume no more pay no more access. Additionally, I am sure they still track which songs/music you download and compensate the artists accordingly. On the surface it sounds like a perfect model until some LB like hacks find a way to capture the rented music for free.

Sounds great, but how is $10.00 going to be divided between Apple and the artist for the thousands of songs PP downloaded. Does Apple pay artist a flat rate for their music or is it more like .0002 cents per download?

Here's the deal. The artists do see a piece of the fee, and if you think about millions of people paying $10/month, that's a pretty big piece of pie to divide every month. Also, paid downloads won't go away. If PP (or whoever is paying for Apple music) discontinue the service, they no longer have access to the music they just downloaded. It's a real nice incentive to keep paying something. And part of something is better than all of nothing. So I don't see many users opting out once the opt in. Which means a pretty constant revenue stream. Back to paid downloads, they'll still exist. And many people who aren't power users will continue to pay for downloads, rather than pay for a monthly service. And physical copies of music will still be available, although they are getting harder and harder to find. But this is a real shot in the arm for older artists who haven't produced new music in forever, who's music is now readily and easily available again.

I used to download songs and albums in the past, but I pony up for them now to support the artists. It's easier now that I buy a lot of vinyl, but I still don't mind paying

That's the thing with Apple music...you can now keep the files available for offline use, as long as you keep paying the monthly fee.

That's the thing with Apple music...you can now keep the files available for offline use, as long as you keep paying the monthly fee.

:lol2: That's what I'm afraid of, I get thousands of songs in my library, then I can't quit paying Apple.

I have a Facebook Friend that just posted today that he saw his entire album was downloaded from Apple Music...he got .02 cents.

Here is his Post...

I've not bothered to read the fine print on what Apple (or Spotify) pays the artist for streaming yet.

Having said that I just looked at a recent statement and saw that someone stream a full album of mine once and I got $0.02 for it.

Sweet! that 2 cents will come in handy.

No, I'm not going to make it up in volume.

No, I'm not going to make it up in touring.

I didn't even opt in to streaming and I'm the rights holder! (I suspect I can opt-out if I choose). If I took an album from another artist and put it online for streaming and paid them 2 cents for every full album stream, I'd probably end up in jail. How is this legal?!

I would like to know a lot more about the "artist?"

In a band out of Pittsburgh, they have probably put out around 30 albums. Not on a major label (independent), but have sold quite a few albums over the years.

ITunes has 29 albums available from them.

In a band out of Pittsburgh, they have probably put out 20-30 albums. Not on a major label (independent), but have sold quite a few albums over the years.

Seems like if they had that much experience in the industry they would have a much better handle on the financial end of things.

Keep us posted if you learn anymore.

This looks like a good article on the topic of payment:

Apple is going to start paying artists per-stream after launch - Business Insider

Once the three month free trial is over, Apple had said that it was going to give labels, publishers and other music owners over 70% of revenues from its new music streaming service. While Cue said that artists would now be paid on a per-stream basis during the free trial, he did not specify how much that would be, since Apple Music won't be bringing in any revenue at this point.

Spotify says it pays labels and publishers between $0.006 and $0.0084 per stream. A Guardian report suggests that the average payment a signed artist gets after their label takes its share is a mere $0.001128.

We also don't know whether this will change the percentage of revenues artists will be paid after the three month trial is over. We have yet to see anything that would suggest that the previous revenue agreements will change, but have reached out to Apple to confirm.

In an interview with Re/Code last week, Apple exec Robert Kondrk, who negotiates music deals alongside Eddy Cue, revealed how much of the $9.99 users will pay per month after the free trial is going to go to artists and labels.

Apple will pay music owners 71.5% of Apple Music's revenue in the US. Outside the US this could fluctuate, but will average out at around 73%. How much the musicians who wrote the songs will actually get depends on the contracts they have with the music labels and publishers who distribute their songs, the report pointed out. The total of around 70% will go to the people who own the complete sound recordings Apple Music will play and the people who own the publishing rights to the underlying compositions of the songs.

Seems like if they had that much experience in the industry they would have a much better handle on the financial end of things.

Keep us posted if you learn anymore.

Well been doing it for 20 years. The way I read it, they never opted in for the streaming service, just to sell albums on Itunes. Now realizing that they are getting hosed on streaming fees.

He said from the sale of an Album on Itunes they make $7.00 per album.

Well been doing it for 20 years. The way I read it, they never opted in for the streaming service, just to sell albums on Itunes. Now realizing that they are getting hosed on streaming fees.

He said from the sale of an Album on Itunes they make $7.00 per album.

Per the article it could be a trial payment issue. Either way, I think we need to wait until the dust settles in a few months. If people like their music and keep buying it they have nothing to worry about.

Apple will pay music owners 71.5% of Apple Music's revenue in the US. Outside the US this could fluctuate, but will average out at around 73%. How much the musicians who wrote the songs will actually get depends on the contracts they have with the music labels and publishers who distribute their songs, the report pointed out. The total of around 70% will go to the people who own the complete sound recordings Apple Music will play and the people who own the publishing rights to the underlying compositions of the songs.

This is the big thing a lot of people miss when it comes to royalties.