Hey Jim Schue or other Horse Racing Aficianados

Bert

Why is it once a horse is put to stud, they are no longer raced? I don't think I have ever heard of a horse that has been bred going back into racing? Do stallions just lose their minds once they get their first breeding? Mares I can understand but stallions I have recently wondered why.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, if they race and something happens, you're out potentially millions of dollars. I think its completely asinine for American Pharoah to race again. He breaks a leg and gets put down, it's a $100 Million dollar race. Not worth it. Put his to stud now, and reap the rewards!

Why is it once a horse is put to stud, they are no longer raced? I don't think I have ever heard of a horse that has been bred going back into racing? Do stallions just lose their minds once they get their first breeding? Mares I can understand but stallions I have recently wondered why.

Pharoah will likely command $500K per breeding session, which is what the great Storm Cat was making before the crash in stud fees a few years back. Top studs can cover as many as 120 or more mares per year.

On the converse, if he remains in training as a 4-year-old, he might race 4 or 5 times tops, with most purses netting a top end of $350-$400K if he wins (BC Classic notwithstanding). He would make more on the side with appearance fees, but the Zayats will get that money either way.

It just doesn't make sense to risk the injuries when there's a ton of guaranteed money in the breeding shed.

I was wondering if there was insurance (lloyd's of London) they could buy for say $100m coverage in case something happens. College athletes and actors get these type of insurance coverage, probably not near that money though.

Didn't I read he is at least running one more race?

I guess I didn't word my question correctly. I understand why to decide to retire a horse to breeding but, if the owner wants to race him at least one more time and that race (I believe) if several months away, why can he not start breeding once he has physically recovered form the Belmont to earn a few million in some quick breeding and then get back to training for the Breeders Cup Classic. So basically, why is it all or nothing.

Also, I understand the comment from some about it being crazy to risk running him anymore but, it has already been said he will run at least one more race so that is not part of the argument.

I can't see him running only one more race, seems like he would need a prep race in him for the Classic given how it's almost 5 month's before that race.

He'll run in the Haskell at Monmouth or the Travers at Saratoga as his BC Classic prep. Both are August races, with the Haskell the first Saturday of the month and the Travers the last Saturday.