Hey Jim Schue or other Horse Racing Aficianados

Bert

There was talk of bringing Cigar back to the track when he turned out to not be able to get any mares pregnant. But they let him stay retired. Some cheaper horses have been brought back.

Sometimes they have to put hoods on the horses when they are going to go to the field instead of the stud barn and turn them around a few times because some don't want to go to the field if you know what I mean.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. No back end payout in the breeding shed. He's gotta earn his keep by racing. Like John Henry.

They got a $5 million bonus for winning the triple crown. How much more money do they need? I'm all for racing them until they can't race anymore lol

They got a $5 million bonus for winning the triple crown. How much more money do they need? I'm all for racing them until they can't race anymore lol

How much more money do they need? Who are you, Bernie Sanders?

:lol2:

OK, I may be on the high end of his estimates as far as stud fees go. I saw an article today that said $100K and that seemed really low. I'm going to amend my figure to $250K per session.

I read an article that said anywhere between $75,000- $100,000 which over four years could equal 36-48 million

I read an article that said anywhere between $75,000- $100,000 which over four years could equal 36-48 million

From what I've gathered, some of that fee was determined before he won all three. There are zero studs in the business who can say they won the Triple Crown. His seed is going to be in demand.

Exactly. Once he goes to stud, AP will go multiple times per day. That'll wear a guy out.

This is essentially true. Depending on the stud farm....and AP is going to Coolmore/Ashford Stud, they exact every opportunity from the studs. Meaning they are very scientific about what time he will be ready and run the mares through as it is a big business for them.

We shouldn't forget that successful race horse are bred and trained to greatness. The differences in many wins/losses are quickness out of the gate, conditioning, changing leads, rating for the jockey...all things that come with the training runs. There is no time for training runs when the horse is at stud, so it is likely the horse would not perform as well thus devaluing its stud value. Just my two cents.

So do they breed horses the old fashioned way or is there a test tube and needle involved?

What 75center said.

It is quite a process. There is a teaser horse usually involved to excite the mare, then the mare is taken to a cleaning station and cleaned up for the event. The mare is taken into the breeding shed which (the one's I have seen) a large padded room with various contraptions to protect the mare from different types of damage from the stud. It is not a gentle nor romantic process. :sssh: