Hey Jim Schue or other Horse Racing Aficianados

Bert

What 75center said.

It is quite a process. There is a teaser horse usually involved to excite the mare, then the mare is taken to a cleaning station and cleaned up for the event. The mare is taken into the breeding shed which (the one's I have seen) a large padded room with various contraptions to protect the mare from different types of damage from the stud. It is not a gentle nor romantic process. :sssh:

So they have fluffers in horse breeding too?! Who would have thought!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading one time that they can breed up to 5 times a day! Not saying it's common, only that it's possible. Have no idea what is average.

I have been reading about Secretariat. His last crop was 1990 and there were 45 live foals. He died in October of 1989 so could have had a few more in there. He sired nearly 600 foals in his career. So if he started breeding around 74, he averaged around 37 or so a year. I assume prices went down the older he got but that's a chunk of change.

Storm Cat was one of the preeminent studs during his life (died in 2014)...I know for a fact that there were years he earned over 20 million dollars for his services.

He had 24/7 security on him at Overbrook due to his value. There were not 15 minutes in a day where someone did not check in on him.

I named my black cat after him....Storm.

As mentioned in posts above...the long term worth of the stud will be more determined by the performances of his progeny than even his own performances.

I have been reading about Secretariat. His last crop was 1990 and there were 45 live foals. He died in October of 1989 so could have had a few more in there. He sired nearly 600 foals in his career. So if he started breeding around 74, he averaged around 37 or so a year. I assume prices went down the older he got but that's a chunk of change.

A good read is about Calumet Farm's rise and fall. One thing discussed was the overbreeding of Alydar. Interesting stuff.

A great racehorse does not make a good 'stud'. AP may fire blanks or simply not produce an offspring nearly as good as him. It is a funny game for sure. Go read any story about Cigar, great racehorse that could not produce in the breeding shed, thus he raced until his later years and pretty well I might add.

When colts/horses are retired to stud it is a process to unwind them from the racing game just as it is to get them ready to run their first race. This is why it is extremely hard for them to start a stud career and race at the same time. A mare however can run while pregnant and there have been many cases where they have won their final race and a few short months later are giving birth. A horse can be retired to stud and eventually come back to the races, but it will take months for that to happen and there is no guarantee that they will be as good as they were initially.

Now, I fully expect AP to run at least 2 more races, that last of which will be the Breeders Cup Classic at Keeneland unless he would have the misfortune of being injured along the way. Will he race at 4, I doubt it, but it would be great for the sport of horse racing if he raced as a 4 year old. This is one of many problems with horse racing today IMO.

Will he race at 4, I doubt it, but it would be great for the sport of horse racing if he raced as a 4 year old. This is one of many problems with horse racing today IMO.

I had a discussion earlier this week about my own belief that it would be better for racing as a sport if there were less emphasis on the three-year-old season and the Triple Crown and a bigger deal made about the horses racing in the handicap races in later seasons.

While it's great to follow the Triple Crown races and all the preps, but for my money, I think the best betting and the best racing is happening and has always happened among the horses after age three.

The mystique of the Triple Crown will always make it the pinnacle of racing, but Breeders' Cup weekend and all the other races leading up to it are such good racing.

I had a discussion earlier this week about my own belief that it would be better for racing as a sport if there were less emphasis on the three-year-old season and the Triple Crown and a bigger deal made about the horses racing in the handicap races in later seasons.

While it's great to follow the Triple Crown races and all the preps, but for my money, I think the best betting and the best racing is happening and has always happened among the horses after age three.

The mystique of the Triple Crown will always make it the pinnacle of racing, but Breeders' Cup weekend and all the other races leading up to it are such good racing.

Could not agree more. I can remember as a kid listening to the live call of the last race from River Downs almost everyday of the week. The paper would have the entries for each race that day along with the odds and jockey. I would pick all of the races and then see how many winners I had that day. Heck the paper even listed entries for New York, Chicago and California.

You could watch race replays on tape delay from Turfway Park every night as well when they were running.

Nowadays you are lucky you can even see a list of the entries in the paper. Heck one day the Enquirer had listings for Churchill and nothing for Belterra Park. How about that for media coverage?

The biggest problem with racing today however is the oversaturation of races on any given day. Please explain to me why 2 or more racetracks in the same state should be fighting for horses?

I thought the handicap circuit was going to be pure gold this year after watching Shared Belief run down California Chrome in the San Antonio Invitational back in February. I really thought that the rest of this year was going to be those two dueling each other across the country. Of course it didn't happen thanks to the injury to Shared Belief and Chrome's connections deciding to ship him overseas, but those kinds of great, long-term duels can only happen in the handicap circuit and having a year like that is one of the things I'm waiting for with baited breath as a racing fan.

This is a little off task, however, when I see (or use myself) the initials AP for American Pharoah, I always think about AP Indy. A little info. on him in the link below. Along with Storm Cat, AP Indy was considered a top stud in North America. BTW, he won the Belmont in 2:26 flat, but he was scratched from the Derby due to a hurt foot.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82870/last-dance-ap-indys-last-crop

This is a little off task, however, when I see (or use myself) the initials AP for American Pharoah, I always think about AP Indy. A little info. on him in the link below. Along with Storm Cat, AP Indy was considered a top stud in North America. BTW, he won the Belmont in 2:26 flat, but he was scratched from the Derby due to a hurt foot.

Last Dance: A.P. Indy's Last Crop | BloodHorse.com

My daughter is an eventer and AP Indy is one of the top sires people are looking for in an eventing horse. He has turned out some great foals.