My idea for cost cutting on illegal immigrants or refugees

jericho

In high school I carried hod for my uncles brick laying crew. He had 2 crews one that was 5 white Americans and one that was 2 illegal aliens. Every Monday my uncle had to go pick up one of the white guys from jail. At least once a week one of them showed up drunk. Twice a warrant was served for them at the worksite. The illegal aliens?? They showed up early to work and out worked everyone. Those 2 brothers worked twice as fast as the other 5. I couldnt keep up with them at all.

The funny thing is this illegal immigrant argument has been around for 150 years. All those terrible Irish and Italian hoodlums that were destroying our country 100 year ago. Realistically illegal immigrants do not effect the economy nearly as much as all the tax breaks we give to big business.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say the rich are blameless? I believe I listed them with everyone else.

You are looking through a very limited window when you talk about cutting your own grass. The illegal economy is so much more than unskilled labor.

I have no response on the welfare aspect since I have made no accusations on that and really have no idea on how big that problem is and as I've said above I have no solutions to the illegal immigrant issues.

Never said it wasn't. Plenty of general contractors out there who employ skilled — but illegal — carpenters, painters, bricklayers, etc. But I would argue that the unskilled illegal immigrant workforce far outnumbers those that are skilled in some trade.

Never said it wasn't. Plenty of general contractors out there who employ skilled — but illegal — carpenters, painters, bricklayers, etc. But I would argue that the unskilled illegal immigrant workforce far outnumbers those that are skilled in some trade.

Probably so, the issue is where are they working? I believe the great majority are working for small businesses or for themselves sub contracting to small businesses. Those businesses are providing goods and services to most of us in one way or the other.

Probably so, the issue is where are they working? I believe the great majority are working for small businesses or for themselves sub contracting to small businesses. Those businesses are providing goods and services to most of us in one way or the other.

San Joaquin Valley is a big one, as well as other large-scale agricultural operations. Probably 90 percent of the produce we get from Kroger and I would say perhaps 100 percent that comes from Wal-Mart is harvested by illegal immigrants.

San Joaquin Valley is a big one, as well as other large-scale agricultural operations. Probably 90 percent of the produce we get from Kroger and I would say perhaps 100 percent that comes from Wal-Mart is harvested by illegal immigrants.

I'll go one better, you seldom can buy non local fruit or produce that hasn't been harvested by illegal immigrants.

Good luck with that one since the people doing the employing are the ones writing massive checks to donate to political campaigns.

It's not the Fortune 500 that is hiring illegals to work for them. It is the local Mom and Pop Restaurant, Farm or other small business that are hiring them...that's why you can't fine $100K per day, it would shut those businesses down in a matter of days. Those businesses are also NOT the ones writing checks to politicians and PACs.

Fortune 500 companies used to have a ton of illegals working for them as "Contract Labor" through a third party, but after some severe crackdowns and fines they found that they were accountable for those workers being work eligible and that pretty much dried up 10-15 years ago.

They may not work at the factory, but they definitely work at the homes of the executives of these companies.

I don't think they are writing those big checks to save money on the maid or gardener. That would be a huge waste of political capitol (Possible political influence) for a Fortune 500 company or Exec to waste on saving a few thousand dollars on the "Help" each year.

No sure about that, companies like Kroger and Walmart really vet their suppliers much more than 15-20 years ago. There have been some suppliers over the years that have used illegals and in every case that I know of the supplier contract was voided as soon as it was determined that the vendor had used illegals.

Curious why you think Kroger is only 90% and Walmart is almost definitely 100%?

My family were illegal Irish immigrants. My grandfather came down through Canada, first into Louisville, then Memphis. I can't tell you how we legitimized.

We are a nation of immigrants, but I believe it should be managed...I didn't say limited or controlled. My son-in-law is Columbian, and he is a DVM like my daughter and a PHD and very marketable in the large animal care industry. He applied for his green card, and it took years, was expensive and generally was a nightmare. Maybe he should have just skipped all that and waited for amnesty?

I do believe it is an economic, social and security issue that our borders are so open and those willing to take the risk (such as my family), can infiltrate and begin to realize the benefits others have worked for. But, rather than kick them out or ignore the problem, make it easier to immigrate and obtain status, and put the new people on the road to becoming Americans...not Irish-Americans, Mexican-Americans, African-Americans, Italian Americans, etc....with education, language skills, history and economic education. It would be a better use of our funds.

In high school I carried hod for my uncles brick laying crew. He had 2 crews one that was 5 white Americans and one that was 2 illegal aliens. Every Monday my uncle had to go pick up one of the white guys from jail. At least once a week one of them showed up drunk. Twice a warrant was served for them at the worksite. The illegal aliens?? They showed up early to work and out worked everyone. Those 2 brothers worked twice as fast as the other 5. I couldnt keep up with them at all.

The funny thing is this illegal immigrant argument has been around for 150 years. All those terrible Irish and Italian hoodlums that were destroying our country 100 year ago. Realistically illegal immigrants do not effect the economy nearly as much as all the tax breaks we give to big business.

VERY uninformed statement. Based on your logic, a 100% tax rate would make for a great economy.

I agree that the immigrant workforce very often out performs their domestic equivalents. A buddy of mine who owns a contracting business absolutely hates it when his subs become "Americanized" in his words. He has the same problems you mentioned with his American crews, white and black. He once worked with a Cincinnati department that was trying to get people into the workforce. $13-15 per hour for unskilled labor and they would send a bus to pick up people at a central downtown location and paid cash every day. First day 32 people showed up, second day was 11 and third day was 2. He told the Cincy people what they could do with their plan.

VERY uninformed statement. Based on your logic, a 100% tax rate would make for a great economy.

My post has nothing to do with a 100%tax rateHowever what would make a great economy is if everyone and every entity paid its fair share of taxes. More and more consumers are getting the shaft by big business and we are shouldering a large amount of the tax burden for them as well.

My post has nothing to do with a 100%tax rateHowever what would make a great economy is if everyone and every entity paid its fair share of taxes. More and more consumers are getting the shaft by big business and we are shouldering a large amount of the tax burden for them as well.
Your logic that we are an under taxed society is greatly flawed. I am not a big supporter of big business by any means, but I am Capitalist. Why do you folks think that Govt can make better decisions with your money? What is a "fair share"?

We have to get rid of this silly notion that Govt debt and deficits are due to under taxation. The US Federal Govt keeps raking in RECORD amounts of tax revenue with each passing quarter and year, and yet our debt and deficit continues to grow. The Wizards of Smart in Washington continue to spend us into oblivion. Spare me the Iraq War crap...........Govt spending has been a problem for WAY longer than the Iraq War has.