Probability of competing beyond High School

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NAIA has 24 full rides. They 99% of the time split that up with Muti kids. Very few full rides. If any.

Correct. I always thought they did the same as DI baseball

and basically split the scholarships

up among as many players as possible.

Given the scant few kids who have the chance to go on and legitimately get a "full ride" playing ball in college, I feel like there should be more people like me who find the whole AAU/travel team/competitive/club sports industry to be one ridiculous racket, and a colossal waste for the overwhelming majority of families who clean out their life savings to chase a scholarship for their kids, most of whom land on a JV roster at an NAIA school with a partial ride, paying as much as they would if they'd just saved their money and gone to a state school in the first place.

For those who do pursue this pipe dream, there are local chambers of commerce and business associations and municipal tax coffers at your tournament destinations that thank you for your support, not to mention gasoline sellers.

Given the scant few kids who have the chance to go on and legitimately get a "full ride" playing ball in college, I feel like there should be more people like me who find the whole AAU/travel team/competitive/club sports industry to be one ridiculous racket, and a colossal waste for the overwhelming majority of families who clean out their life savings to chase a scholarship for their kids, most of whom land on a JV roster at an NAIA school with a partial ride, paying as much as they would if they'd just saved their money and gone to a state school in the first place.

For those who do pursue this pipe dream, there are local chambers of commerce and business associations and municipal tax coffers at your tournament destinations that thank you for your support, not to mention gasoline sellers.

I agree. If a small school gives you 20,000 a year in aid but your out another 20,000....

I agree. If a small school gives you 20,000 a year in aid but your out another 20,000....

I've coached high level summer baseball, and middle school football. Parents know my background as a former D1 athlete, and ask me how they can make sure their kids can get a scholarship. I tell them to buy them books and tutors.

While this may be accurate in some cases, let's not forget that AAU tournaments/club/competitive sports are fun for the kids too. And in the end, that is what most parents' goals are: For their kid to have fun.

I've coached high level summer baseball, and middle school football. Parents know my background as a former D1 athlete, and ask me how they can make sure their kids can get a scholarship. I tell them to buy them books and tutors.

I agree. Some small colleges cost around 50,000+ a year. Even if you got 20,000 paid for. Is a sport worth 30,000 a year to play?? Why not just enroll in a state school close to home live at home and save tons of money. It's sad a kid can come out of school and owe 100,000$.

While this may be accurate in some cases, let's not forget that AAU tournaments/club/competitive sports are fun for the kids too. And in the end, that is what most parents' goals are: For their kid to have fun.

I just don't agree with that. Sure, parents want their kids to have fun, but there's other motives there as well. And those parents often invest so much in their kids' "fun" while chasing that scholarship that they sometimes put undue pressure on their kids to perform, specialize, etc. I know lots of kids for whom it stopped being fun a long time ago, and became a job.

I just don't agree with that. Sure, parents want their kids to have fun, but there's other motives there as well. And those parents often invest so much in their kids' "fun" while chasing that scholarship that they sometimes put undue pressure on their kids to perform, specialize, etc. I know lots of kids for whom it stopped being fun a long time ago, and became a job.

I'm about as far from a parent as can be, so you are probably right. I just know that my parents spent a ton of money when I played AAU and I do not go to school on a full ride. But the lessons I learned and fun I had was worth it to them.

I'm about as far from a parent as can be, so you are probably right. I just know that my parents spent a ton of money when I played AAU and I do not go to school on a full ride. But the lessons I learned and fun I had was worth it to them.

Have you ever asked them to do some accounting on all they spent on your trips, now that you're a few years removed from it? They love you and would do anything for you at that age, especially if they can afford it. But a lot of parents can't afford it, really, and expect a return on that investment, especially if they view sports as the best option towards getting their kid into college and not having it cost them a third mortgage.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at it this way. If a NAIA college pays $20,000 of a $40,000 education and the kid makes up another $8,000- $10,000 in scholarships/work study etc, a parent is out $10,000 a year. It costs a little more than that to pay full price with no scholarships somewhere else and the kid doesn't get to play ball. Guarantee the connections made at a small college playing football will pay dividends faster in getting a good job than at a state school where you are just a number graduate with no sports connections. Those elite small colleges usually have alumni that make it happen for kids upon graduation.

Look at it this way. If a NAIA college pays $20,000 of a $40,000 education and the kid makes up another $8,000- $10,000 in scholarships/work study etc, a parent is out $10,000 a year. It costs a little more than that to pay full price with no scholarships somewhere else and the kid doesn't get to play ball. Guarantee the connections made at a small college playing football will pay dividends faster in getting a good job than at a state school where you are just a number graduate with no sports connections. Those elite small colleges usually have alumni that make it happen for kids upon graduation.

What NAIA cost only 40,000 for a degree?? Georgetown ky is 40,000 a year.

What NAIA cost only 40,000 for a degree?? Georgetown ky is 40,000 a year.

He said a year.

In addition to my comments on NAIA ball. The kids playing are every bit as talented as many D1 players. In most cases just run 4.7s/8s instead of 4.5s or 2 inches too short. Its really, really good football. At the end of the day, the kids going to the NFL from college is like being struck by lightening, so go play football where you can in college!!:ylsuper: