2015-16 9th Region

Everyone mentioned here, as well as some not mentioned, are more than solid players and will have to be the workhorses for their teams. Critical to their success will be who the players have around them and how well they can elevate their games. NKY is stacked with a bunch of talented kids and one thing is clear, this region will be wide open from my perspective and I will not be one bit surprised if someone else other than CCH or Holmes makes it to Lexington.

All the players have great qualities and all have things they could definitely improve upon so I won't be one to say who's better and simply say I'd take them all on my team lol!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And while he has been mentioned in a few posts, some of you are seriously underrating how good Markel McClendon is going to be for Holmes next season. There's a reason the kid has been playing big time minutes at the varsity level since his 8th grade year.

Not a quicker player in the region than him at both ends and an elite defender while also being a very good rebounding guard for his size. Several coaches think he is one of the top 3 players in the region next year, 4th at worst, and one D1 coach told me he'd take CVH and McClendon as the two best guards in the region next season. Obviously my rankings don't reflect that opinion but McClendon is on the same level as any other guard in the region. The only thing CVH and McNeil have on him is size and maybe a little stronger but no one can deny the kid's toughness.

See Post #8 .

Not sure who the best high school player is but think Weyer is the best college prospect.

I think the exact opposite. I think Weyer may end up being the equal of Sean and CVH in H.S., but I am confident that Cole will end up with the best D1 offers and will be the best college player. I do think CVH will score the most points of this trio in High School, but they are all terrific and Weyer is a tremendous shot-blocker. No doubt.

I have seen all 3 of Weyer, CVH, and McNeil play, but only saw McNeil one time. They each are very good and if we are talking HS players they could all have an argument to be the top HS player in the 9th so suggesting it is not even close seems biased. Nobody can argue with what CVH has accomplished in starting as a 9th grader on a state championship team and then returning to the final four being the leader of his sophomore season. He is simply a winner in HS basketball in KY and that is why he could be #1 .

Ben Weyer is the biggest and size does matter. He is pretty versatile in that he can play an inside and outside game. He probably defends better on the inside, but he is athletic enough to guard outside. All around he would be the toughest to match up and defend in my opinion for most KY HS teams which could make his case as #1 .

I only saw 1 game Cooper played at Louisville Eastern's holiday tournament. He is smooth and a good scorer no doubt. At 6'3" he has good size too, but not Weyer length. The only thing I would suggest from that game was he and his teammates had trouble defending the Fern Creek guards. All four of their guards scored in double figures and 3 of them were freshmen. The Junior guard scored 26 that game so as a team (which included McNeil) defending quicker athletic guards seemed to be troublesome on that day. In the 9th he may do fine, but from that game I was more impressed with his offense because I recall him being a really good scorer which is where I could make his case for #1 .

I think you could make a case for all 3. I personally feel in college that Weyer due to his size will be the most likely to have the highest Div 1 offers. He has a good combination of strength, size, agility and toughness that I like. Plus he is 6'6" so he could play the 3 or 4 in many college systems. The other two would have to play guard in college and I see good scoring from both at the 2 guard, but you have to be able to defend the perimeter which is very tough the higher up Division 1 you go.

1st, I was at the same game and there is not 1 team(including Holmes IMO) in NKY that could have stopped those players consistently and to that I say, so what? Second, I disagree with your assessment as Cooper's Hendrix guarded all of the players extremely solid like he always as being their best defender. Third, if memory serves me correctly, all 3 of Cooper's guards were in double figures as well so if we want to split hairs, FC had trouble stopping Cooper's guards as well and that included a Freshman and two Sophomores one of which, McNeil, who led all scorers. Lastly, Cooper was right there in the end and FC hit several FT's down the stretch to seal the game. To FC's credits they are a very good squad and those freshman are going to continue to be very good.

If you have seen McNeil on the AAU circuit most people realize he can more than hold his own inside and outside the 9th.

I think the exact opposite. I think Weyer may end up being the equal of Sean and CVH in H.S., but I am confident that Cole will end up with the best D1 offers and will be the best college player. I do think CVH will score the most points of this trio in High School, but they are all terrific and Weyer is a tremendous shot-blocker. No doubt.

What offers does CVH have.

1st, I was at the same game and there is not 1 team(including Holmes IMO) in NKY that could have stopped those players consistently and to that I say, so what? Second, I disagree with your assessment as Cooper's Hendrix guarded all of the players extremely solid like he always as being their best defender. Third, if memory serves me correctly, all 3 of Cooper's guards were in double figures as well so if we want to split hairs, FC had trouble stopping Cooper's guards as well and that included a Freshman and two Sophomores one of which, McNeil, who led all scorers. Lastly, Cooper was right there in the end and FC hit several FT's down the stretch to seal the game. To FC's credits they are a very good squad and those freshman are going to continue to be very good.

If you have seen McNeil on the AAU circuit most people realize he can more than hold his own inside and outside the 9th.

I absolutely liked McNeil and believe he can hold his own in and outside the 9th. I was giving counter to the assertion he is hands down the best 9th region player and not even close when that includes at least two other spectacular players in CVH & Weyer. To list Weyer as a good high school player but other than his size he doesn't do anything better than McNeil is discrediting Ben. When it was suggested Ben cannot defend the perimeter my point was I do not see McNeil as a lock down defender on the perimeter either based on the single time I saw him. In college at 6'6" you at least have some options to also guard the 3 and maybe the 4 some. But at 6'3" or smaller, your perimeter defense ability will in some ways limit where you project going in college. I do not think Ben has to take second hand to many in the state as a high school player or college prospect and nobody in the 9th is hands down better was my point.

Here are some stats from KHSAA scoreboard

McNeil 51%-2pt 48.7%-3pt 84%-ft 5.7-rebounds

Weyer 65%-2pt 44%-3pt 72%-ft 7.3-rebounds

CVH 54%-2pt 25%-3pt 86%-ft 2.2-rebounds

Snapp 37%-2pt 33%-3pt 81%-ft 3.9-rebounds

McClendon 47%-2pt 38%-3pt 77%-ft 2.2-rebounds

Geotz no stats shown for his team

I'm sure there will be a few surprises that are not mentioned in this conversation.

I will say Weyer's stats are much stronger than I thought. Stats don't lie. With his size I would say he will be the probably the most recruited out of this group. McNeil will probably be the next highest recruited. Size gives these two a big advantage if you are talking about D1/D2 next level athlete's.

Also, it's hard to tell with some players how good they are going to be. Some have not had as good of players around them for their team to reach as high of goals. It's easier to get good looks and open shots when you have a lot of other teammates that can also score. It is much harder when you are being face guarded every game.

All are good players that play hard every night. Fun to watch.

Do not sleep on Adam Goetz people. In case anyone has not seen him playing AAU this Spring he has elevated his game tremendously and is playing extremely, extremely well. He is a top 5 player in this region IMO.