2015-16 9th Region

Not tearing down anyone. All these boys are very good high school players. Most of them will play college at some level. Time will tell which level. Weyer probably has the best build to play at a higher level. With that being said, he will not be playing inside at that level IMO. Thus he will need to improve his outside game. Right now IMO I believe McNeil and CVH are better perimeter players. The thread said 2016 9th region. Based on that if you made a list of ten items, rebounding, outside shooting, attacking the rim, defending the post, guarding on the perimeter, basketball IQ, physical strength, ability to play above the rim, assists (making his teammates better) passer. Then rate each players strengths on a scale from 1-10. I believe IMO that McNeil is the most well rounded player with the least amount of weaknesses. Not knocking on any other kid. My opinion! At the end of the day they are all solid players. McNeil, Weyer, CVH, Geotz, Snapp, etc. and we will have to wait until next season to see who is going to have a breakout season. Time will tell.

CVH is obviously a better ball handler and has a deadly mid range game, but Weyer has a much better outside shot and is more consistent from the perimeter than CVH.

CVH strengths are his defense, toughness, pull up game, and ability to finish strong at the rim. He also doesn't turn the ball over very often. Very high basketball IQ.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And while he has been mentioned in a few posts, some of you are seriously underrating how good Markel McClendon is going to be for Holmes next season. There's a reason the kid has been playing big time minutes at the varsity level since his 8th grade year.

Not a quicker player in the region than him at both ends and an elite defender while also being a very good rebounding guard for his size. Several coaches think he is one of the top 3 players in the region next year, 4th at worst, and one D1 coach told me he'd take CVH and McClendon as the two best guards in the region next season. Obviously my rankings don't reflect that opinion but McClendon is on the same level as any other guard in the region. The only thing CVH and McNeil have on him is size and maybe a little stronger but no one can deny the kid's toughness.

It will be exciting to watch it all play out. Who is gonna breakout. Who will be the next big star. I love basketball season. It hasn't been over long and I already can't wait for it to start back up.

And while he has been mentioned in a few posts, some of you are seriously underrating how good Markel McClendon is going to be for Holmes next season. There's a reason the kid has been playing big time minutes at the varsity level since his 8th grade year.

Not a quicker player in the region than him at both ends and an elite defender while also being a very good rebounding guard for his size. Several coaches think he is one of the top 3 players in the region next year, 4th at worst, and one D1 coach told me he'd take CVH and McClendon as the two best guards in the region next season. Obviously my rankings don't reflect that opinion but McClendon is on the same level as any other guard in the region. The only thing CVH and McNeil have on him is size and maybe a little stronger but no one can deny the kid's toughness.

I agree with McClendon, I would put him in the top 4 in the 9th. Very good player,he does alot of things very well and he is a tough kid on the court. He has to become more consistent with his jump shot and if he does then he is as good as anyone in the 9th.

Not on any day of the week. Weyer is a good player, but other than his size, (which he doesn't use) McNeil is better at every other aspect of the game.

Weyer will need to work on his outside game to compete at any next level. And I'm sure he will do that. He is a very nice high school player right now. I feel as if he will transition into a nice college player also.

44% from behind the arc?

Pretty solid from outside if you ask me.

Weyer is going to be a major problem for teams this season. People doubting him will find out soon enough.

Weyer is my pick for best player this coming season. Now that being said Weyer will be double team and maybe sometimes triple team. The past few years he had the luxury of McDonald, Shulte, Moeves, and Pangallo. I think Weyer will avg around 20pts a game or even more. That's why he will be very important next season to do a lot for his team then the past few years. All these players mention are great players there is no need to put kids down who can do this who can do that. IMO all the players mention will play at next level now that is the most important stuff.

I have no idea on whether this is the 7 footer, but according to some close coaching friends in the Cincy area there are a couple foreign kids that someone is now guardian that is looking for a place. They may be going separate schools, but my understanding is that these young men are kids that were at a basketball academy in Africa and ended up in the Cincy area that will now be placed somewhere for high school. I suspect that one of these kids is the 7 footer we are hearing about.

I have seen all 3 of Weyer, CVH, and McNeil play, but only saw McNeil one time. They each are very good and if we are talking HS players they could all have an argument to be the top HS player in the 9th so suggesting it is not even close seems biased. Nobody can argue with what CVH has accomplished in starting as a 9th grader on a state championship team and then returning to the final four being the leader of his sophomore season. He is simply a winner in HS basketball in KY and that is why he could be #1 .

Ben Weyer is the biggest and size does matter. He is pretty versatile in that he can play an inside and outside game. He probably defends better on the inside, but he is athletic enough to guard outside. All around he would be the toughest to match up and defend in my opinion for most KY HS teams which could make his case as #1 .

I only saw 1 game Cooper played at Louisville Eastern's holiday tournament. He is smooth and a good scorer no doubt. At 6'3" he has good size too, but not Weyer length. The only thing I would suggest from that game was he and his teammates had trouble defending the Fern Creek guards. All four of their guards scored in double figures and 3 of them were freshmen. The Junior guard scored 26 that game so as a team (which included McNeil) defending quicker athletic guards seemed to be troublesome on that day. In the 9th he may do fine, but from that game I was more impressed with his offense because I recall him being a really good scorer which is where I could make his case for #1 .

I think you could make a case for all 3. I personally feel in college that Weyer due to his size will be the most likely to have the highest Div 1 offers. He has a good combination of strength, size, agility and toughness that I like. Plus he is 6'6" so he could play the 3 or 4 in many college systems. The other two would have to play guard in college and I see good scoring from both at the 2 guard, but you have to be able to defend the perimeter which is very tough the higher up Division 1 you go.