Games cancelled due to testing?

Sorry Professor, didn't mean to be a copycat. :) And thanks. You know ... maybe we may be onto something if both an Owsley fan and a Lee fan can agree on somehting. - ha ha, just joking around.

BigBlueFan, I'm just a fan of athleticism... unfortunately I was not blessed with any of that talent myself. I understand that parents and students aren't always as focused on academics as I tend to be or would like them to be ... but at the same time it's my opinion that this "mandatory focus" of sorts... tends to backfire... those parents and students are not any more likely to pick up the slack they've let gather the rest of the year. I do agree that maybe farther distanced games should be scheduled around testing. I don't think that taking the testing situation into consideration when scheduling and looking at travel times is unreasonable. But I do think forcing all games to be cancelled is just not a reasonable expectation, nor is it a reasonable reaction. Like I said, I don't have all (or any really) of the answers. I just don't think that there is really any benefit to forcing all games to be cancelled. I'd be curious to look at schools that don't cancel games and schools that do cancel games and compare testing scores, (and it would be especially interesting to see a history of these schools, like say see the scores before they began cancelling games) to see if there was any impact. The problem is it is so difficult to prove one way or the other because there are a lot more factors determining a student's performance than just ballgames.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School has no control of the 4-H meeting unless it is being held on school property. The school cannot cancel it.

Understand what you are saying, because I have been upset several times on not having the gymnasium for basketball practice because of a reason or the other.

But schools are schools first and places for athletics second.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Do I understand that you're saying school sports is more important than CATS testing ?!?

Personally, I don't think any sort of practice or game should be allowed testing week NOR during Spring Break...

:thumb: :thumb:

Some of these opinions amaze me. No one believes that school sports are more important than school education. I just don't believe that KATS testing has anything to with education. One more time NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND and KERA are the worst things ever for a ture education!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't the point in question at Owsley Co regarding the timing of the superintendent's decision? It would seem that the baseball coach would have been given a directive not to schedule games during that week. If he had been given directive early, there would have been no games scheduled to cancel.

Isn't the point in question at Owsley Co regarding the timing of the superintendent's decision? It would seem that the baseball coach would have been given a directive not to schedule games during that week. If he had been given directive early, there would have been no games scheduled to cancel.

Correct.

If any games were to be canceled, the coach should have been notified well before (or while) he was making his schedule, not a week before the test. The teams that had Owsley on their schedule that week were left without a game, and the coach had to attempt to explain why, which can be a somewhat uncomfortable position to be in.