How to get recruited

trinitron12

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great info Thanks

I prepared those soon after going through the recruiting process with my son. Most of that is what me and my son learned during the process.

Look at the book I recommend in Part 4, that book has just about everything you need to know.

Both of us have reached out to he coach to see if he could help and his response was literally " Im not sure what i can do to help" Not a lot of confidence there. He may be doing all he can im just not confident he has been or even knows what to do.

In my experience, schools will contact the coach or coaches at the high school either by phone, e-mail, letter or onsite visit. They will ask coach about what kids may or may not be able to play at the next level. That is pretty much where the coach assistance stops IMO. You are better off trying to shop your son as best you can. My son is currently a junior as well and has received a letter from Nebraska and seems to get monthly mail from Missouri, yet we hear nothing from the local schools at all. I realize that these pieces of mail are not a sign that they are recruiting you, but at least you know your kids name is out there then. We have sent HUDL videos to several schools and as far as I know, none have replied one way or another. In fact, we are getting ready to do a second round of e-mails here in the next few weeks in hopes of catching someone's eye. Also looking for information on those one day camps where the schools basically invite you to come and show what you can do in front of them.

If you don't mind me asking, what schools have you tried sending his film to?

A few he has sent that I know of are listed below. I know this isnt all of them but he has to send the email not me. I will help him as much as possible but I want him doing the work as much as possible.

Lindsey Wilson

Campbellsville

Middle TN State

Ill State

Miami of OH

Morehead State

KCU

In my experience, schools will contact the coach or coaches at the high school either by phone, e-mail, letter or onsite visit. They will ask coach about what kids may or may not be able to play at the next level. That is pretty much where the coach assistance stops IMO. You are better off trying to shop your son as best you can. My son is currently a junior as well and has received a letter from Nebraska and seems to get monthly mail from Missouri, yet we hear nothing from the local schools at all. I realize that these pieces of mail are not a sign that they are recruiting you, but at least you know your kids name is out there then. We have sent HUDL videos to several schools and as far as I know, none have replied one way or another. In fact, we are getting ready to do a second round of e-mails here in the next few weeks in hopes of catching someone's eye. Also looking for information on those one day camps where the schools basically invite you to come and show what you can do in front of them.

If you get a response via email to your hudl video. Ask the coach am I a player you would recruit? This takes the unknown out of it. i would only go to camps with invites.

That is what we are intending to do. Apparently UC is having such camp here in the near future, so at least that is a start.

This gives you a starting point. any response from a D1 school is good. Think about how many emails they get. If they took time to email you back watch the film. You are in a much better spot than just showing up.

The most important thing to do is to educate yourself on the measureables needed to be recruited, offered and signed at each level for a specific position. Go to places like 247sports, espn recruiting and even Hudl to compare measureables for those that have been signed to play at a particular position. Know your son's height, weight, reach, 40 time, shuttle time, 3 cone time, broad jump and compare to players signed signed/playing a particular position. If you don't have the measureables for a particular level, either go back to the gym, or compromise what level you are willing to play at.

For some positions, SKILL IS IRRELEVANT! Note the 410 lineman signed by BYU. Never played football! These people recruit based upon pure athleticism.

I would even say this, for some positions, you will be more marketable as a recruit , if you train full time, and not even bother playing the game!

One more thing, NKy as a whole is extremely under recruited. It pains me to say this, but you will get significantly more exposure (and credibility) playing across the river.

Using a service such as NCSA to get your sons name out to colleges. They will also create a highlight video for you. It costs money but is well worth it as I know several families that have kids playing at the next level because of NCSA.

Get him to as many camps/combines as you can afford. Many of them are out to make money so be selective in which ones you choose.

If he is a DI caliber player, you will know after attending a couple camps by the feedback you get from the coaches that are there and by his measurables such as size, speed etc.

If he isn't a DI recruit but he still wants to play at the next level, NCSA also has thousands of coaches from all levels recruiting from there. Send emails, tapes etc. If you do send highlight videos, do not have music on them as background. Coaches really don't want to hear music. Also be aware of what order you put your plays on the highlight video. NCSA will sort them in a proper order for you, but if you are making it yourself them make sure you put his best plays at the front of the video. A video just a few minutes long is all you really need, don't make a mistake of making a 10 min video and have some of the best plays near the middle or the end, they may not get seen.

If he is a DI recruit, then besides attending the camps/combines you can also send out video's via snail mail to every college he is interested in.

Remember it is not the high school coaches job to go our and find colleges for your son to play at. Parents have to take the lead.

Using a service such as NCSA to get your sons name out to colleges. They will also create a highlight video for you. It costs money but is well worth it as I know several families that have kids playing at the next level because of NCSA.

Get him to as many camps/combines as you can afford. Many of them are out to make money so be selective in which ones you choose.

If he is a DI caliber player, you will know after attending a couple camps by the feedback you get from the coaches that are there and by his measurables such as size, speed etc.

If he isn't a DI recruit but he still wants to play at the next level, NCSA also has thousands of coaches from all levels recruiting from there. Send emails, tapes etc. If you do send highlight videos, do not have music on them as background. Coaches really don't want to hear music. Also be aware of what order you put your plays on the highlight video. NCSA will sort them in a proper order for you, but if you are making it yourself them make sure you put his best plays at the front of the video. A video just a few minutes long is all you really need, don't make a mistake of making a 10 min video and have some of the best plays near the middle or the end, they may not get seen.

If he is a DI recruit, then besides attending the camps/combines you can also send out video's via snail mail to every college he is interested in.

Remember it is not the high school coaches job to go our and find colleges for your son to play at. Parents have to take the lead.

All the above is 100% on spot! Just look at the size speed of the level you want to play. If all d1 offensive lineman are 6'3 and up and your 5'11. It just isn't going to happen at that level. If RB run a 4.6 or better and you run a 5.0. Then D1 isn't for you. Give the right info also via email. When you come to camp you have to pass the eyeball test and the height weight speed test. Don't say your 6'3 when your 6'0. If a kid is big or fast they will see this on film. Also fasion the email subject with your best foot forward. Johny Smith 6'4 295lb TAckle. This gets then to open the email. Looks much better than just Johny Smith Tackel. d1 is looking for size speed first! Football is sencond. This is why guys get offers and other players may be better. Size speed first. If you don't have what fits you don't get a look.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I don't feel that it's such a huge ordeal, unless you're going to D-1 school. If you've got film, send it and keep sending it. Be in contact with coaches. Their jobs depend on finding good players/athletes or huge potential, and using it to win. I've seen kids who don't really have much of a future in football have a good SR year and then wind up signing with someone. If you're good enough, someone somewhere will find you if you're persistent.

You also must be honest about the level of play the individual is capable of. I've seen numerous people who will talk about their kids going to these camps and trying to get their child out there to play at a higher level and I would think "he sees spot time on the JV team, is shorter, skinnier, weaker, and slower than just about everybody at his position. You might need to explore other options." Most players don't play in college, and it does take a certain drive to succeed in getting there.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned this here yet, but you're going to need to make sure your child has the grades for it. You can find kids who are physical freaks and can make a lot of plays, but at the end of the day their 1.4 GPA isn't getting them far. If a kid can get their grades up, or go to a JUCO, then good for them. But, academics are the very unsexy part of furthering a playing career, and are extremely important.

Hate to sound cynical, but after 20 years of doing this and promoting my kids like crazy (and kids from teams that always won 80% of their games), I can honestly say it comes down to two main things to get initially recruited by the big boys (FBS and FCS schools)...

* Height

* Speed

You may think this is strange to mention height for football, but football is about FORCE at the point of impact and FORCE = Mass x Velocity. The taller you are, the more MASS you can put on and still run as fast.

So, if you don't pass their "eye test," your HS stats (against what they'll always consider is 'inferior competition' -- especially in a state like Ky.) won't matter at all to them.

The only shot you'll have beyond that is to go to one of their camps and completely dominate the competition in something. YOu must be 'different' in some way than every other "Undersized" kid they see that summer -- and you'd better somehow out-perform a few of the guys they already have on their radar in one-on-one drills.

It's not that a kid not passing their "Measurables Eye Test" will NEVER get a shot, but think that he's gotta be like Mugsy Bogues or Spud Webb. The short WR can get recruited but only IF he has some unreal 40 time. The short RB can get recruited but only IF he's built like a Greek god and shows college coaches at THEIR camp he can move. The short OL can get recrui...oh, wait, nevermind, they'll NEVER look at a short lineman -- it's ALL about arm length to D1 schools (zone blocking/pass pro on O...punch and separate on D all require freakishly long arms -- again: the taller you are, the longer your arms are).