How to get recruited

trinitron12

Hit up the NAIA schools. If you know your kid isn't D1 don't waste much time. Combine at EKU or somewhere similar if you must but be realistic.

Unless the measureables are there, NAIA will likely be the best fit money wise, as well as having a shot at playing.

You said you sent film to KCU. Well, they just got a new HC so you may want to send it again. If they have a combine, go to it.

I'd hit up every NAIA team in the state.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to sound cynical, but after 20 years of doing this and promoting my kids like crazy (and kids from teams that always won 80% of their games), I can honestly say it comes down to two main things to get initially recruited by the big boys (FBS and FCS schools)...

* Height

* Speed

You may think this is strange to mention height for football, but football is about FORCE at the point of impact and FORCE = Mass x Velocity. The taller you are, the more MASS you can put on and still run as fast.

So, if you don't pass their "eye test," your HS stats (against what they'll always consider is 'inferior competition' -- especially in a state like Ky.) won't matter at all to them.

The only shot you'll have beyond that is to go to one of their camps and completely dominate the competition in something. YOu must be 'different' in some way than every other "Undersized" kid they see that summer -- and you'd better somehow out-perform a few of the guys they already have on their radar in one-on-one drills.

It's not that a kid not passing their "Measurables Eye Test" will NEVER get a shot, but think that he's gotta be like Mugsy Bogues or Spud Webb. The short WR can get recruited but only IF he has some unreal 40 time. The short RB can get recruited but only IF he's built like a Greek god and shows college coaches at THEIR camp he can move. The short OL can get recrui...oh, wait, nevermind, they'll NEVER look at a short lineman -- it's ALL about arm length to D1 schools (zone blocking/pass pro on O...punch and separate on D all require freakishly long arms -- again: the taller you are, the longer your arms are).

Coach, do you still run a combine in Louisville? I thought that you did at one point.

NCSA.ORG :thumb:

A small investment will pay huge dividends...I can guarantee it, worked out for 2 of my kids offered full rides to schools that would never have ever recruited them because of logistics...

NCSA is awesome! The kid must still do the real work... Like getting good grades, scoring well on ACT and /or SAT, and reaching out and talking to coaches... But NCSA helps organize everything and walks / and literally talks you through the process. It's unreal how many schools are a match for your kid when you know where to look... NCSA even reviews your profile and recommends the best level for the athlete.

NCSA is awesome! The kid must still do the real work... Like getting good grades, scoring well on ACT and /or SAT, and reaching out and talking to coaches... But NCSA helps organize everything and walks / and literally talks you through the process. It's unreal how many schools are a match for your kid when you know where to look... NCSA even reviews your profile and recommends the best level for the athlete.

The best thing about NCSA. They tell you what level you can pay at. They were very right in my case. They pair you up with a football recruiting coach. Played D1 and was on staff at an FBS school. Guy was spot on with the level and how things would unfold. Even the last min. Big school walk on offers.

I've known many kids to get noticed from schools who weren't even intentionally recruiting them to begin with.....

Coach sends film on Johnny.....college tells coach, Johnny is a nice player, but what about Jimmy and Joe.

...or, coach sends film on Johnny.....notices who Johnny is lined up against on the other team-- "Who is this kid and where does he play?"

This happens a lot. Hey coach we are here to see Johnny. Who else can play....

That's how my son ended up playing for EKU instead of Georgetown College. They contacted his head coach about a wide receiver and ended up talking about longsnappers.

Coach, do you still run a combine in Louisville? I thought that you did at one point.

Yes we do. Early June. Geared to promote kids specifically to NAIA, D2, and D3 schools. Also is a good early (and cheap) way for a D1 prospect to practice combine drills for the June college 1-day camps.

U of Cincinnati camp is a good one to attend. They have a lot of small schools in attendance with several asst. coaches per school. Right now the smaller schools are concentrating on this years recruiting. They are trying to pick up the kids the big schools missed,and secure the ones they have been hard after. Keep sending them the info (all of them) is what I recommend, it helped my son tremendously. Sometimes a small bite can turn into a frenzy.

Coach B I think we had a kid from TC go to your camp this year and said he enjoyed it.

Trinitron12, the recruiting process right now is very slow because the school are wrapping up this years class and finalizing everything for next fall.

If you don't mind me asking, did your son visit any camps this past summer? If so, reattend those camps, because that will catch the eye of some schools because he is back for another year to learn from us and give them a second look at him before his senior season.

In the end schools will look at these things to determine if the "student-athlete" will be successful inside of their program:

1. Grades- although some believe these mean nothing, they are actually going to be the key of getting you accepted into college because you may be able to run a 4.26 40 and bench 275 15 times, but if you are not accepted by academics then it be hard to compete with the other guys on the field.

2. ACT/ SAT- Fall into the same category as grades, but the score you earn on the tests help get you money to pay for college.

3. Character- how does the player conduct himself on and off the field whether it be in school or in the community. Some schools will not give you a second look if they find out you will be trouble maker for them.

4. Size and Speed- like Coach B said above, not going to repeat.

5. Player Type- Some schools may not recruit you beause you do not fall into their style of play, so be sure to go see some games this fall and identify what kind of offense and defense they run and see if you would fit in better at one school rather than the other.

Life after Football- do you not chose a school based on only football, make sure when your son is choosing a school he is going to be happy at that school, knock on wood, if an injury occurs. Also you are going to school to earn a degree and not just to play football, some day the game will end for him and needs to have something to fall back on.

Also when the schools applications come out, apply to them and get accepted to the school so that when a coach asks in you have applied, you can answer I have already been accepted

Finally, 3 schools above Lindsey Wilson, Campbellsville, and KCU are really good shcools and-mentioning the same player from above at the beginning- he said that when he got on campus and at the camps they treated him like an individual and not a number.

Trimble Co. had two student athletes get an oppurtunity to play college ball recently, one is going to Hanover and the other Georgetown, still waiting on a 3rd to find out if he is going to make the team or not.

Best of luck in the process

Yes we do. Early June. Geared to promote kids specifically to NAIA, D2, and D3 schools. Also is a good early (and cheap) way for a D1 prospect to practice combine drills for the June college 1-day camps.

Coach Jackson's combine at Ballard High School in Louisville is an excellent opportunity for players to get noticed by college coaches -- especially those at the DII, DIII and NAIA levels -- and is very affordable, too.