KHSAA Sweet 16 Draw Show (2/5/15 @ 1 PM, ET)

Thought it'd be fun to put out the date and time for this in case anyone was wondering, and to start the discussion (so you'll remember to come back and discuss all the match-ups once they're out).

I always like posing this question a day or two before the draw, because it takes some of the bias out of the "we got a good" or "we got a bad" draw arguments that everyone will be making.

Rank your lists of regions that you think are most and least favorable to draw this year. Sort them from strongest to weakest. If you want, you can put the teams into tiers.

I'll begin below.

1. 7th

2. 11th

3. 2nd

4. 6th

5. 9th

6. 14th

7. 12th

8. 3rd

9. 5th

10. 10th

11. 13th

12. 4th

13. 1st

14. 15th

15. 8th

16. 16th

Factors:

- The Top Team(s) Expected To Go

- Have Those Top Teams Been To Rupp Recently?

(Experience is huge, especially in first round games).

- The Depth of The Region

(Too deep can hurt because the 12th could be beaten up).

(Not very deep isn't good because 1 upset could destroy it).

Two draws that have the potential to be really tough ones that might not get a ton of play here:

3rd Region -

Owensboro and their talent or Apollo, who has underachieved so far, but still has Eli Wright and now Trace Young

5th Region -

Taylor County, especially if they draw a weaker team in their first game and get to go down and get settled in

I never gave it much thought until years after following high school basketball that the 16 teams that make it to the Sweet 16 are never really the 16 top teams in the State of Kentucky.

With that said, I don't mind it at all because for me what really makes the tournament fun is the possibility for an unranked team to peak at just the right time to make an exciting run through the tourney and become a crowd favorite, or exciting below the radar players becoming jaw dropping stand outs.

Certainly if your team is one of the tops going in you'll be behind them, but in general the typical fan of the tourney who's not following any team in particular just loves it when Cinderella shows up at the dance.

Once whoever I'm rooting for gets eliminated, my instant next favorite is the lowest rated team in all of the tournament.

Who doesn't just love seeing the underdog rise to greatness right before their eyes?

It's one of the most magical things about the Kentucky Sweet 16 to see just how long the most unexpected teams can reach way down deep and continue to advance.

With them playing the championship game on Sunday this is not such a big deal anymore but I used to hate to see my favorite region draw the last game of the Thursday night session. That meant to win it you had to play 4 games in a little over 48 hours. That was always a tough road for any team. Had that been the case last year I highly doubt that CovCath would have been able to defeat Scott Co. to win it all.

I never gave it much thought until years after following high school basketball that the 16 teams that make it to the Sweet 16 are never really the 16 top teams in the State of Kentucky.

With that said, I don't mind it at all because for me what really makes the tournament fun is the possibility for an unranked team to peak at just the right time to make an exciting run through the tourney and become a crowd favorite, or exciting below the radar players becoming jaw dropping stand outs.

Certainly if your team is one of the tops going in you'll be behind them, but in general the typical fan of the tourney who's not following any team in particular just loves it when Cinderella shows up at the dance.

Once whoever I'm rooting for gets eliminated, my instant next favorite is the lowest rated team in all of the tournament.

Who doesn't just love seeing the underdog rise to greatness right before their eyes?

It's one of the most magical things about the Kentucky Sweet 16 to see just how long the most unexpected teams can reach way down deep and continue to advance.

When tiny Edmonson Co. defeated Christian Co. in 1976 they were credited with saving the Sweet 16 as we know it. There was so much talk about dividing the state into classes back then.

I love the love for the 3rd region. OHS can matchup with anyone in the state IMO. Thats not to say they are better, but with their bigs and the way their guards shoot the three, they are dangerous. Apollo has all the talent in the world if they could ever come together. Anytime you field two of the best underclassmen in the state you have a punchers chance.

I love the sweet 16 format. Honestly, its one of my favorite tournament seasons in all of sports. The regional tournament atmosphere is something that cannot be replaced. All the kids and schools battling for a shot to go to Rupp. It can make for a lot of magical moments. I pray KY never goes to classes in basketball.

I love the love for the 3rd region. OHS can matchup with anyone in the state IMO. Thats not to say they are better, but with their bigs and the way their guards shoot the three, they are dangerous. Apollo has all the talent in the world if they could ever come together. Anytime you field two of the best underclassmen in the state you have a punchers chance.

I love the sweet 16 format. Honestly, its one of my favorite tournament seasons in all of sports. The regional tournament atmosphere is something that cannot be replaced. All the kids and schools battling for a shot to go to Rupp. It can make for a lot of magical moments. I pray KY never goes to classes in basketball.

This a thousand times over!

1. 7th (Ballard)

2. 11th (LexCath)

3. 2nd (Henderson County)

4. 6th (Doss)

5. 9th (CovCath)

6. 14th (Knott County Central)

7. 12th (Boyle County)

8. 3rd (Owensboro)

9. 5th (Taylor County)

10. 10th (Mason County)

11. 13th (Clay County)

12. 4th (Bowling Green)

13. 1st (Calloway County)

14. 15th (Johnson Central)

15. 8th (Owen County)

16. 16th (Elliott County)

Factors:

- The Top Team(s) Expected To Go

As of February 4th, and understanding that many regions have several legitimate contenders, would you say the above teams are the ones that are "expected to go"?

When tiny Edmonson Co. defeated Christian Co. in 1976 they were credited with saving the Sweet 16 as we know it. There was so much talk about dividing the state into classes back then.

Thanks for posting such a treasure of a video.

What a nice inspirational pre-game invocation delivered by Dr. William Slighter beginning at the 4:18 mark.

As of February 4th, and understanding that many regions have several legitimate contenders, would you say the above teams are the ones that are "expected to go"?

You could flip a coin for the 12th, this might be one of the deepest regions I have seen in the 12th in awhile.

I think it's Oldham in the 8th & Rowan or Boyd in the 16th. I'd love to see both Owen & Elliott claim the big trophy in their Region, but I don't see either of them doing it.

As you said, there are a bunch of toss-ups in the others, but I agree with most of the teams you have included.

I always tend to lean toward a traditional power when there is a closely contested Region. This year, examples of that would be Wayne in the 12th, PRP in the 6th, Clay in the 13th, & maybe even Hoptown in the 2nd.

I think we are in store for a lot of high-quality, competitive Regional tournaments. I hope the Sweet 16 is good, but I think the Regional Tournaments will be where it's at this year.