Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did Marcus Mariota's NFL Stock take a hit?

Featured Replies

Did the Heisman Trophy winner's stock take a hit after the NC game?

 

He didn't look real good in the pocket which was the knock on him going into the game and he hasn't taken a snap under center.

 

I think it hurt him and what once was a toss up of who is going first him or Winston, I think it's clearly Winston is the 1st QB taken and MAriota may drop a bit.

I've never liked Mariota as an NFL QB. I don't think he throws the deep ball all that well and his arm strength is lacking. His best scenario would be if the Eagles traded up to nab him. He would excel in Chip Kelly's offense like he has before.

There were a TON of GM's there last night, he has to take some type of hit unfortunately for him. He seems like a game manager QB, made some nice throws but wasn't good enough to win the game himself.

My opinion of Mariotta went up after last night. I thought he did look good in the pocket. He hung in there under pressure. He went beyond first read throws and made completions. He went 24-37 for 333 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing he fell short on was red zone success but hard to fault him too much there because for some reason Oregon didn't throw the ball when they got to the red zone. They kept running it play after play and getting nowhere.

  • Author
My opinion of Mariotta went up after last night. I thought he did look good in the pocket. He hung in there under pressure. He went beyond first read throws and made completions. He went 24-37 for 333 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing he fell short on was red zone success but hard to fault him too much there because for some reason Oregon didn't throw the ball when they got to the red zone. They kept running it play after play and getting nowhere.

I thought what hurt him the most was the lack of arm strength. I didn't think he had that issue until last night, but again that was really only the 2nd time I watched him for an entire game.

I thought what hurt him the most was the lack of arm strength. I didn't think he had that issue until last night' date=' but again that was really only the 2nd time I watched him for an entire game.[/quote']

 

Looks like a systematic game manager to me. He had high IQ though.

Looks like a systematic game manager to me. He had high IQ though.

 

And athleticism. Chad Pennington showed that a high IQ and accurate QB can excel in the right system. Mariota's career trajectory is 100% tied to the team that drafts him. He needs to go late 1st round to a team with a good running game, or solid receiving core. I can see him being a better version of Alex Smith. I would not go into a rebuilding mode with him. Draft him and let him sit a year. He is never going to be a top 5 QB.

I think if his arm strength looked weak last night it was because it was in direct comparison to Cardale Jones who has an absolute cannon. Think Mariota still goes in the top 7.

  • Author

Little trivia

 

C Jones is the first college QB who earned a ring in each of his first 3 starts

1. Big 10 Championship

2. Sugar bowl championship

3. National Championship

 

Not too shabby. He just earned more Championship Rings in 3 weeks than the Bengals have earned in 40+ years lol

Other question is the OSU running back. His buzz will never be higher than it is right now, does he pull the trigger and go?

  • Author
Other question is the OSU running back. His buzz will never be higher than it is right now, does he pull the trigger and go?

Yes, he has to be back. He is only a sophomore and not a redshirt sophomore so he has to return for 1 more year.

 

Thats why I think it will be true that Elliott and whoever is the starting QB for the Buckeyes will be at the top of the Heisman list going into the season.

Not sure how much of a hit it would have taken. Some were projecting him higher because of Winston's antics, but that seems to have subsided the past few weeks on who the #1 QB is. All along he was thought to be the #2 QB. Not sure that changed much. I do question his pocket presence. It is just so hard to evaluate these spread QBs on a game that will not be playing at the next level. Thanks, but no thanks for me.

  • Author
Not sure how much of a hit it would have taken. Some were projecting him higher because of Winston's antics, but that seems to have subsided the past few weeks on who the #1 QB is. All along he was thought to be the #2 QB. Not sure that changed much. I do question his pocket presence. It is just so hard to evaluate these spread QBs on a game that will not be playing at the next level. Thanks, but no thanks for me.

I think the only chance he has to flourish is if somehow he falls to the Eagles.

I think the only chance he has to flourish is if somehow he falls to the Eagles.

 

Which I think is possible, but I still doubt it can work to that extreme in the NFL level. And I am an Eagles' guy.

I watch and pay a lot of attention to the NFL draft every year. I think last night didnt effect his draft stock much. There is a bunch of QB needy teams every year. He is still a top 5 prospect and will likely go 1 or 2.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.