Did Marcus Mariota's NFL Stock take a hit?

Hellbird

Did the Heisman Trophy winner's stock take a hit after the NC game?

He didn't look real good in the pocket which was the knock on him going into the game and he hasn't taken a snap under center.

I think it hurt him and what once was a toss up of who is going first him or Winston, I think it's clearly Winston is the 1st QB taken and MAriota may drop a bit.

I've never liked Mariota as an NFL QB. I don't think he throws the deep ball all that well and his arm strength is lacking. His best scenario would be if the Eagles traded up to nab him. He would excel in Chip Kelly's offense like he has before.

My opinion of Mariotta went up after last night. I thought he did look good in the pocket. He hung in there under pressure. He went beyond first read throws and made completions. He went 24-37 for 333 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing he fell short on was red zone success but hard to fault him too much there because for some reason Oregon didn't throw the ball when they got to the red zone. They kept running it play after play and getting nowhere.

My opinion of Mariotta went up after last night. I thought he did look good in the pocket. He hung in there under pressure. He went beyond first read throws and made completions. He went 24-37 for 333 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing he fell short on was red zone success but hard to fault him too much there because for some reason Oregon didn't throw the ball when they got to the red zone. They kept running it play after play and getting nowhere.

I thought what hurt him the most was the lack of arm strength. I didn't think he had that issue until last night, but again that was really only the 2nd time I watched him for an entire game.

I thought what hurt him the most was the lack of arm strength. I didn't think he had that issue until last night' date=' but again that was really only the 2nd time I watched him for an entire game.[/quote']

Looks like a systematic game manager to me. He had high IQ though.

Looks like a systematic game manager to me. He had high IQ though.

And athleticism. Chad Pennington showed that a high IQ and accurate QB can excel in the right system. Mariota's career trajectory is 100% tied to the team that drafts him. He needs to go late 1st round to a team with a good running game, or solid receiving core. I can see him being a better version of Alex Smith. I would not go into a rebuilding mode with him. Draft him and let him sit a year. He is never going to be a top 5 QB.

Little trivia

C Jones is the first college QB who earned a ring in each of his first 3 starts

1. Big 10 Championship

2. Sugar bowl championship

3. National Championship

Not too shabby. He just earned more Championship Rings in 3 weeks than the Bengals have earned in 40+ years lol

Other question is the OSU running back. His buzz will never be higher than it is right now, does he pull the trigger and go?

Yes, he has to be back. He is only a sophomore and not a redshirt sophomore so he has to return for 1 more year.

Thats why I think it will be true that Elliott and whoever is the starting QB for the Buckeyes will be at the top of the Heisman list going into the season.

Not sure how much of a hit it would have taken. Some were projecting him higher because of Winston's antics, but that seems to have subsided the past few weeks on who the #1 QB is. All along he was thought to be the #2 QB. Not sure that changed much. I do question his pocket presence. It is just so hard to evaluate these spread QBs on a game that will not be playing at the next level. Thanks, but no thanks for me.

Not sure how much of a hit it would have taken. Some were projecting him higher because of Winston's antics, but that seems to have subsided the past few weeks on who the #1 QB is. All along he was thought to be the #2 QB. Not sure that changed much. I do question his pocket presence. It is just so hard to evaluate these spread QBs on a game that will not be playing at the next level. Thanks, but no thanks for me.

I think the only chance he has to flourish is if somehow he falls to the Eagles.