Interesting tidbit about the super district

All Tell

D1 players are born not made.

I could not disagree more. One can have all the talent and athleticism God can bless someone with. But without someone (coaches, parents) teaching them discipline, perserverance, teamwork and effort, they won't be D1.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Factor in 2x the population.

Understand, but they also have about 6 schools year in and year out the NKY schools can't compete with. The four we always talk about and then every year there are 1-3 more they can't beat either...Butler or someone else is usually a very tough matchup as well. Dixie did beat Ballard this year...but as many have said, this might be the best NKY 6A team in the last 20 years!

Your opinion. I've seen them "developed" at HHS. So are you saying there are more D1 athletes born in Louisville? Ratio wise maybe, but there are also more schools I'm guessing.

Yes ratio wise. you can't make a 5'11 o lineman a D1 lineman no matter how well they develop.

Yes ratio wise. you can't make a 5'11 o lineman a D1 lineman no matter how well they develop.

I get that...But I didn't see many 5'11" lineman on the Dixie or SK teams this year. Dont see many in any 6A programs. And the other part of the equation is getting kids to come out for the team or generate interest at the younger ages. If a 6A program consistently has 5'11" kids on their line, then there is a lot more wrong with that program than what we are discussing here!

I found Ram's 2014 list. Here are the listings for FBS :

17 out 39 FBS commits from Metro Louisville! Almost half!

Division I - FBS

Drew Barker, QB Conner - University of Kentucky

Nacarius Fant, WR Bowling Green - Western Kentucky University

Sean Nuernberger, K/P Oldham County - Ohio State University

Masai Whyte, LB Collins - Western Kentucky University

DeAndre Farris, ATH Collins - Western Kentucky University

Nick True, OL/TE Highlands - Western Kentucky University

Reggie Bonnafon, ATH Trinity - University of Louisville

Adrian Middleton, DL South Warren - University of Kentucky

Lloyd Tubman, DL Seneca - University of Kentucky

Evan Sayner, OL McCraken County - Western Kentucky University

Ryan Duvall, LB Apollo - Western Kentucky University

Joel Iyiegbuniwe, DB South Warren - Western Kentucky University

Will Bush, WR Ballard - Western Kentucky University

John Kurtz, OL St. Xavier - University of Cincinnati

Derik Overstreet, DL Paducah Tilghman - Western Kentucky University

Casey Dionne, DB Madison Southern - Army

Joe Brow, ATH Butler - Western Kentucky University

Jake Ryan, K/P - University of Kentucky

Kylan Nelson, Lafayette DB/RB - Ohio University

Matt Elam, DL John Hardin - University of Kentucky

Chris Hudson, WR Hazard University of Miami (OH)

Ryan Betlach, Tates Creek LB - University of Louisville

Brenan Kuntz, QB Simon Kenton - Western Kentucky University

Charles Walker, RB/WR St. Xavier - University of Kentucky

Joe Brown, Butler - Western Kentucky University

Ryan West, Manual - Naval Academy

Chad Lewellyn, Christian Academy Louisville - Naval Academy

Dajzon Dukes, Doss - Naval Academy

JuJuan Halley, Louisville Central - Naval Academy

David Bouvier, WR Lexington Catholic - University of Kentucky

Devin Taylor, West Jessamine - Western Kentucky University

Spencer Foy, St Xavier - Western Kentucky University

Phillip Francis, Louisville Central - Western Kentucky University

Tyler Lyon, Newport Catholic - University of Cincinnati

Lyndon Rowe, RB Ballard - Georgia State

Matt Boston, OL Glasgow - Western Kentucky University

Ian Gilson, OL Glasgow - University of Kentucky

Cameron Pergram, FB Paul Laurence Dunbar - University of Kentucky

Scott Liebert, OL Trinity - Western Kentucky University

Understand, but they also have about 6 schools year in and year out the NKY schools can't compete with. The four we always talk about and then every year there are 1-3 more they can't beat either...Butler or someone else is usually a very tough matchup as well. Dixie did beat Ballard this year...but as many have said, this might be the best NKY 6A team in the last 20 years!

i do believe the speed factor is the difference. Look at D1 football rosters.

I get that...But I didn't see many 5'11" lineman on the Dixie or SK teams this year. Dont see many in any 6A programs. And the other part of the equation is getting kids to come out for the team or generate interest at the younger ages. If a 6A program consistently has 5'11" kids on their line, then there is a lot more wrong with that program than what we are discussing here!

I'm saying you can't teach 50% of what a D1 school is looking for in a recuirt.

Can some of Louisville folks chime in for RCC9's sake and confirm that Metro Louisville is simply a deeper talent pool than the rest of the state? Furthermore, I can tell you that manyFBS programs only recruit KY in Louisville and ignore the rest of the state.

If you look at history you will find Jefferson County in general has dominated the highest class since 1959. A lot of that is X and T, through Male in there as a distant 3rd. And before T there was Flaget. But there has also been Butler and I think a couple of others.

Fayette slipped in a couple of wins after the turmoil of the original integration bussing plan disrupted the entire county. Big county schools got in a few as well - Paducah Tilman, Christian County and Shelby county. And now you can add Scott County due to the dogged-ness of Jim McKee.

The attempts to 'fix' this have been at times comical. The super-district is the latest failed fix. They also tried to fix it so that a Louisville/Jefferson County was not 'guaranteed' a spot in the championship - that had to be one of the dumbest moves ever in this saga since splitting Jefferson County and the Green Monsters onto 2 different sides of the East/West setup. The 'guarantee' of a Jefferson County school in the final was removed. But the possibility of two Jefferson County schools meeting in the final was created. Guess what happened more - two Jefferson County schools in final or two non-Jefferson County schools meeting.

And the along came 'super-district'. Basically it was unconstitutional as it was very arbitrary but KHSAA listens more to coaches than the law. And you have the rotation that applies only to 6A. Another arbitrary and very artificial by product to deal with the Jefferson County dominance.

In Fayette there a couple of overall factors hurting public football - and its not LexCath or Lexington Christian. First, the region is soccer crazy more than any other part of the state. That drains away talent, especially at the skill level positions. Second the FCPS has not well supported football and keeps middle school football in the dark ages. You had a super who was not at all focused on athletics in general and the last one was had other priorities it seemed dealing with money. At a school level Dunbar has been hurt badly by the revolving door of coaches. Dunbar has been hurt by school board politics for sure when it comes to athletics. It was similar, but not as bad at other schools. Now, with stability you have two programs rising - Bryan Station and Lafayette. Both got first ever wins over LexCath this year. Its amazing what can happen when coaches are given a chance to build.

So lets see what the next 'fix' is.

I found Ram's 2014 list. Here are the listings for FBS :

17 out 39 FBS commits from Metro Louisville! Almost half!

Division I - FBS

Drew Barker, QB Conner - University of Kentucky

Nacarius Fant, WR Bowling Green - Western Kentucky University

Sean Nuernberger, K/P Oldham County - Ohio State University

Masai Whyte, LB Collins - Western Kentucky University

DeAndre Farris, ATH Collins - Western Kentucky University

Nick True, OL/TE Highlands - Western Kentucky University

Reggie Bonnafon, ATH Trinity - University of Louisville

Adrian Middleton, DL South Warren - University of Kentucky

Lloyd Tubman, DL Seneca - University of Kentucky

Evan Sayner, OL McCraken County - Western Kentucky University

Ryan Duvall, LB Apollo - Western Kentucky University

Joel Iyiegbuniwe, DB South Warren - Western Kentucky University

Will Bush, WR Ballard - Western Kentucky University

John Kurtz, OL St. Xavier - University of Cincinnati

Derik Overstreet, DL Paducah Tilghman - Western Kentucky University

Casey Dionne, DB Madison Southern - Army

Joe Brow, ATH Butler - Western Kentucky University

Jake Ryan, K/P - University of Kentucky

Kylan Nelson, Lafayette DB/RB - Ohio University

Matt Elam, DL John Hardin - University of Kentucky

Chris Hudson, WR Hazard University of Miami (OH)

Ryan Betlach, Tates Creek LB - University of Louisville

Brenan Kuntz, QB Simon Kenton - Western Kentucky University

Charles Walker, RB/WR St. Xavier - University of Kentucky

Joe Brown, Butler - Western Kentucky University

Ryan West, Manual - Naval Academy

Chad Lewellyn, Christian Academy Louisville - Naval Academy

Dajzon Dukes, Doss - Naval Academy

JuJuan Halley, Louisville Central - Naval Academy

David Bouvier, WR Lexington Catholic - University of Kentucky

Devin Taylor, West Jessamine - Western Kentucky University

Spencer Foy, St Xavier - Western Kentucky University

Phillip Francis, Louisville Central - Western Kentucky University

Tyler Lyon, Newport Catholic - University of Cincinnati

Lyndon Rowe, RB Ballard - Georgia State

Matt Boston, OL Glasgow - Western Kentucky University

Ian Gilson, OL Glasgow - University of Kentucky

Cameron Pergram, FB Paul Laurence Dunbar - University of Kentucky

Scott Liebert, OL Trinity - Western Kentucky University

I only count 13.

Those aren't playing in the districts you're complaining about, or the class.

Whose complaining? I'm making a statement of fact. The best players in the state are concentrated in Metro Louisville. Is it really that difficult a point to concede?

Do you confirm or deny that Louisville is a deeper talent pool than the rest of the state? Or are you in RCC9 camp that says our kids are lazy and our coaches inferior????? Lets put it on the record!

I believe it is a combination of a lot of things, but chiefly, NKY's propensity to build new schools and split their student base, rather than to expand existing facilities. I can't remember the last time JCPS built a whole new school. It may have been in the 70's or early 80's. Trinity, X, DeSales, Assumption, Sacred Heart, Presentation and Holy Cross all exist at their original sites. Holy Cross became a school by combining Angela Merici and Bishop David (only co-ed Catholic HS in Lou) and located at the site of Bishop David. Mercy built a new school after they outgrew the East Broadway Campus. JCPS high schools manage enrollment through a combination of boundaries and open enrollment. Want a larger pool? Find a way to keep all the fish in one lake instead of splitting them all out into smaller ponds.