Interesting tidbit about the super district

All Tell

Here is the point, competing with X and Trinity is more than just changing the culture, working hard, great coaching, playing a tough schedule, etc. History tells this story when year after year the same schools win the biggest class in the state. Scott County is a huge school with good coaching, good players, strong work ethic, the only HS in the county, and the only HS within a 15-20 mile radius.That is a recipe for success, but it still took Coach McKee 16 years to get SC over the hump. NKY is a very different animal with the number of independent school districts. Multiple 6A teams play Highlands next fall and if any of them beat Highlands, it will be great for their programs, but it won't mean a hill of beans when it comes to winning a 6A state title. Look at Ryle in 2010. Beat Highlands in week 10, lost to Trinity in the semi-finals, and Highlands wins the state title.

Also HHS beat Ryle by two td's earlier in that same year. They played twice that year and Ryle took the second on 28-26. They played well. But that really good Ryle team only lost to Trinity 29-8.

I just don't get why "winning a state title" is everyone's measurement of success. I would just want to be able to "compete" first before titles are discussed.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also HHS beat Ryle by two td's earlier in that same year. They played twice that year and Ryle took the second on 28-26. They played well. But that really good Ryle team only lost to Trinity 29-8.

I just don't get why "winning a state title" is everyone's measurement of success. I would just want to be able to "compete" first before titles are discussed.

Why are state titles important? They are important in NKY because there is a lot of school choice and 4 school options that have recent state titles. CCH, Beechwood, NCC, and Highlands. Parents and kids know recent history. Over the years, multiple football players have left Boone County or Kenton County schools for CCH or Beechwood and many have left Campbell County schools to attend NCC or Highlands. Many parents have transferred kids from these districts in 9th grade after the county schools educated the kid from K – 8. Regardless of the argument for the reason they transferred, history of winning state titles is a factor and many of these players have had integral roles in the state championship teams of the other schools. These players could have been a great help to the 6A schools trying to "compete".

I hear what you're saying and you are correct in a lot of ways. State titles are not the only thing that motivates them. Kids want to play in big games. SK hasn't won anything or beaten anyone really, but they seem to have some excitement. Same as Dixie, but until they play at a higher level or "prove" to those kids they can play on a much bigger stage (doesn't even mean win all the big games) it's going to continue to happen. Beechwood and Cov Cath haven't won state in how many years. But kids still flock there. Those two teams have their own "roadblocks" in their perspective classes. But again, kids still leave and go there. But kids also leave and go to those schools for education. It's not only to win football championships. Yes, it helps they have good football programs if you are a football player, but in most cases at HHS, education drives just as much of the decision as playing football.

Why are state titles important? They are important in NKY because there is a lot of school choice and 4 school options that have recent state titles. CCH, Beechwood, NCC, and Highlands. Parents and kids know recent history. Over the years, multiple football players have left Boone County or Kenton County schools for CCH or Beechwood and many have left Campbell County schools to attend NCC or Highlands. Many parents have transferred kids from these districts in 9th grade after the county schools educated the kid from K – 8. Regardless of the argument for the reason they transferred, history of winning state titles is a factor and many of these players have had integral roles in the state championship teams of the other schools. These players could have been a great help to the 6A schools trying to "compete".

This is not just a NKy 6A issue. There is plenty of school choice in Lexington as well. Someone from those districts care to chime in if you are not too busy with the bball threads? Can someone from the western districts chime in on McCracken getting handled by Manual?

This is not just a NKy 6A issue. There is plenty of school choice in Lexington as well. Someone from those districts care to chime in if you are not too busy with the bball threads? Can someone from the western districts chime in on McCracken getting handled by Manual?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm going to chime in anyway. Sorry! I'm cutting in line!

McCracken is 2 years old and lost to Manual by 2td's. Heck, the paint hasn't dried yet! I think that's competing...or at least on their way to competing! That's far from a blowout!

By effort, I don't mean effort by just the kids. I don't doubt that the effort is there from the kids at a lot of places. I mean the total package, kids, coaches, administration and fans.

Yea, you're right, the effort isn't there from the coaches, administration, and fans. :up:

The only schools in 4A/6A that have been difficult for ALL 4A/6A schools to overcome are T and X. That is all. Schools have beaten Manual and Male. Last year Scott County beat Male. In 08/09 SK beat both Manual and Male. During 11/12, Boone went 1-1 against Male. Over the past 35 years, X or Trinity has won 25 of 35 big school titles and 13 of the past 15. Male hasn’t won a title since 2000 and are just recently back to being competitive with X and T. Of the 10 titles non-X or T schools have won, 4 were during the years of 1980 - 1990. So over the past 25 years, X or T have won 19 titles. Everyone else in 4A/6A have won 6.

This is not X or Trinity's fault, but public schools in the state of KY are in the business of giving kids opportunities, not creating mega high schools to compete in sports. You are seeing this again with Scott County building an new High School. Boone County has built 2 new schools since 1995. Shelby County built a new High school with MLC. Warren County just built South Warren. Nelson County has a new school. Lexington is about to build a new high school.

There is not much the KHSAA can do about the issues in the largest class, but history proves the issues are far greater than working harder, changing the culture, getting better coaching, tougher scheduling, etc. This is a different topic, but one the only thing I would like to see the KHSAA do is close the border. If you don't live in KY, you should not be allowed to play sports in KY and take opportunities away from a KY kid.

The only schools in 4A/6A that have been difficult for ALL 4A/6A schools to overcome are T and X. That is all. Schools have beaten Manual and Male. Last year Scott County beat Male. In 08/09 SK beat both Manual and Male. During 11/12, Boone went 1-1 against Male. Over the past 35 years, X or Trinity has won 25 of 35 big school titles and 13 of the past 15. Male hasn’t won a title since 2000 and are just recently back to being competitive with X and T. Of the 10 titles non-X or T schools have won, 4 were during the years of 1980 - 1990. So over the past 25 years, X or T have won 19 titles. Everyone else in 4A/6A have won 6.

This is not X or Trinity's fault, but public schools in the state of KY are in the business of giving kids opportunities, not creating mega high schools to compete in sports. You are seeing this again with Scott County building an new High School. Boone County has built 2 new schools since 1995. Shelby County built a new High school with MLC. Warren County just built South Warren. Nelson County has a new school. Lexington is about to build a new high school.

There is not much the KHSAA can do about the issues in the largest class, but history proves the issues are far greater than working harder, changing the culture, getting better coaching, tougher scheduling, etc. This is a different topic, but one the only thing I would like to see the KHSAA do is close the border. If you don't live in KY, you should not be allowed to play sports in KY and take opportunities away from a KY kid.

All fair points.

Guest T Rocks

All the finger pointing, arguing, blaming class size, weak schedule, not enough talented players or coaches excuses is why NKY 6A will never compete for a state title...All I have read in this post..... stay classy NKY 6A

Harlan County: Cawood/Cumberland/Evarts

Letcher County Central: Fleming-Neon/Letcher/Whitesburg

McCracken County: Heath/Lone Oak/Reidland

Mercer County: Merged into by Harrodsburg in 2006

Muhlenberg County: Muhlenberg North/Muhlenberg South

Webster County: Merged into by Providence in 2006 or 2007

While Collins, North Oldham and South Warren have had success, it's doubtful Shelby County, Oldham/South Oldham and Greenwood/Warren Central would be consistent 6-A powers.

Meade did extensive renovations to stay one school, yet Nelson split -- and became two mediocre athletic programs across the board.

Washington built a replacement school instead of splitting.

Taylor is planning a replacement school.

Robertson County replaced Deming.

MMI closed.

Holy Rosary (girls school) in Louisville closed.

South Floyd and Allen Central have had merger talks, would form Floyd County High School.

There have been a slew of new split-off schools - Collins, Cooper, North Oldham, South Warren, Thomas Nelson - and at least two more planned (Scott County splitting, another school in Lexington).

Seems its about 50/50 between split offs and mergers.