Interesting tidbit about the super district

All Tell

In the 4 years that it was in existence members of the super district only lost 2 playoff games to teams outside the district.

Manual lost to Madison Central in 2012 and Male lost to Scott County last year. Overall 1st round record of the super 4 from 2011-2014 was 15-1.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If H win the OT game or X recovers the onside kick they would have been crowned 6A champions this year, no question.

Or if Manual doesn't fumble an interception and X returns it for their only TD, they might of gotten there too. The Super district was Super.

Actually St Xavier's 10 game schedule went 10-0 the first round of the playoffs and 7-3 the second round with the only losses I believe to other super district teams ( Male and Manual) and Bryan Station's 1 point loss to undefeated Central Hardin.

Jason Frakes of the Courier Journal in Louisville tweeted out the question of the other 28 teams in 6A who could beat any of the super district?

So I have my thoughts on what makes the super district good, but many 6A followers want to blame it on Trinity and X either being private or big and that means they have "advantages". And then they get into the discussion on how no one can compete because of "the advantages". But what I think our 6A followers don't realize is, Manual, Male, Scott County are all public. How do they compete? How do schools in other divisions compete with the private schools in their division. HHS beats Cov Cath and Lex Cath consistently. Wouldn't those two teams have the same perceived "advantages" as the T or X? There are many other private schools that aren't very good at all!

So two questions...why are the Louisville super district schools so good. And why do NKY 6A followers feel they have and "advantage" and are unbeatable. I just don't get it. How do the Louisville kids become so good? Maybe that's the answer. It's not like they are any different at birth as kids in this area.

Forget about talking Super District. I think you guys are so great you need to create your own class. Let's call it the Super Class, and you guys can play each other for the championship.

Maybe then we'd get some competition or at least programs that act like the want to compete rather then complain.

Ah, you are evidently unfamiliar with Trinity's secret genetic lab under the school. St. X has one too, but our scientists are a bit ahead at the moment. I dunno about Male and Manual, though.

We have one of those too! It's hidden under the secret dorms that all the "transfers" live in. :ylsuper:

Let's face it, Male, Manual, Trinity & St. X are ALL Open Enrollment schools, that's why they have so many good players, ANYONE in Jefferson County can go to those schools, that's the difference. Plus, they all 4 have some pretty solid coaching right now as well. I actually think Male & Manual have an advantage over Trinity & X because there is NO tuition!

So I have my thoughts on what makes the super district good, but many 6A followers want to blame it on Trinity and X either being private or big and that means they have "advantages". And then they get into the discussion on how no one can compete because of "the advantages". But what I think our 6A followers don't realize is, Manual, Male, Scott County are all public. How do they compete? How do schools in other divisions compete with the private schools in their division. HHS beats Cov Cath and Lex Cath consistently. Wouldn't those two teams have the same perceived "advantages" as the T or X? There are many other private schools that aren't very good at all!

So two questions...why are the Louisville super district schools so good. And why do NKY 6A followers feel they have and "advantage" and are unbeatable. I just don't get it. How do the Louisville kids become so good? Maybe that's the answer. It's not like they are any different at birth as kids in this area.

Very fair and good questions. As to Highlands/Covington Catholic/Lexington Catholic, the enrollment disparity is close. In 2013-14, Covington Catholic had 573 boys, Highlands 496, and Lexington Catholic 411. So Covington Catholic's advantage is ~14%.

In 6A, St. X had 1,347 boys, Trinity 1,269, Male 782, and Manual 769. That's a ~43% difference in enrollment between St. X and Manual. If you are looking to find schools within 14% of St. X and Trinity like Highlands/Covington Catholic, the only schools that get within that threshold are Henry Clay, Paul Dunbar, and Scott County. Scott County has closed the gap a little bit, but Henry Clay and Dunbar are floundering.

So the biggest difference in advantage at the 6A level compared to the other classes is the lack of a ceiling which puts a sizable difference in school sizes in the same class. Now Male, Manual, and Scott County have shown that Trinity and St. X can at least be challenged, but I think nearly all of 6A is at such a demographic disadvantage that it is unrealistic to almost ever expect anyone other than St. X or Trinity to win 6A.

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20152018/SchoolEnrollment10YearHistory.pdf

Very fair and good questions. As to Highlands/Covington Catholic/Lexington Catholic, the enrollment disparity is close. In 2013-14, Covington Catholic had 573 boys, Highlands 496, and Lexington Catholic 411. So Covington Catholic's advantage is ~14%.

In 6A, St. X had 1,347 boys, Trinity 1,269, Male 782, and Manual 769. That's a ~43% difference in enrollment between St. X and Manual. If you are looking to find schools within 14% of St. X and Trinity like Highlands/Covington Catholic, the only schools that get within that threshold are Henry Clay, Paul Dunbar, and Scott County. Scott County has closed the gap a little bit, but Henry Clay and Dunbar are floundering.

So the biggest difference in advantage at the 6A level compared to the other classes is the lack of a ceiling which puts a sizable difference in school sizes in the same class. Now Male, Manual, and Scott County have shown that Trinity and St. X can at least be challenged, but I think nearly all of 6A is at such a demographic disadvantage that it is unrealistic to almost ever expect anyone other than St. X or Trinity to win 6A.

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20152018/SchoolEnrollment10YearHistory.pdf

Then why are public schools like Dunbar, Henderson and Eastern which are near the top of the "food chain" with regards to male enrollment perennial non-factors?

Then why are public schools like Dunbar, Henderson and Eastern which are near the top of the "food chain" with regards to male enrollment perennial non-factors?

I think it has much to do with priorities, demographics, and coaching. The system in Lexington is so weird that I can't envision anyone from Fayette County ever competing. Henderson County is a big school, but ultimately a rural school. They have lots of kids, but face similar talent waves like many 3A and 4A county schools. I have no idea what to make of Eastern, other than they seem much more interested in basketball and football.

Obviously they can hire better coaches and of course they can do what Trinity and Highlands do and "work harder", but the numbers (and tradition) at those schools make it a very steep hill. Nothing about that is wrong - Trinity and St. X have advantages but aren't at fault because of those advantages and shouldn't be condemned because of them.

This is an excellent analysis. After all of this, you must then look at the number of households that schools have available to draw from. Beechwood is a good example of this. Setting aside the enrollment numbers, you must also look at the areas from which those that are enrolled are drawn from. Beechwood not only draws from an extraordinary number of households, especially compared to their District foes, but they have players from those households. Outside of CovCath, is there any other team besides Beechwood that has players on their roster from all 3 NKY counties (Kenton, Campbell and Boone) on their roster? I could be mistaken, but I do not believe so. IMO Ohio gets it right with their Competitive Balance proposal by looking at the zip codes of roster members and then adjusting enrollment numbers based on that, as a short explanation.

Paul Dunbar has as many athletes on the field that their hallways have for them. Big school with not much attending there in regards to football unfortunately. Good coach with Paul Rains @ the helm, but the school itself in its attendance demographic just doesn't have the stones to translate to the field. The attendance area also changed a few years ago that took one of the biggest neighborhoods in Lexington away from Dunbar & moved it to Bryan Station. Lexington public schools do have programs that allow out of area students to attend other schools, but Dunbar has MSTC, Math, Science & Technology program, they aren't getting any football players out of that program.