Interesting tidbit about the super district

All Tell

Paul Dunbar has as many athletes on the field that their hallways have for them. Big school with not much attending there in regards to football unfortunately. Good coach with Paul Rains @ the helm, but the school itself in its attendance demographic just doesn't have the stones to translate to the field. The attendance area also changed a few years ago that took one of the biggest neighborhoods in Lexington away from Dunbar & moved it to Bryan Station. Lexington public schools do have programs that allow out of area students to attend other schools, but Dunbar has MSTC, Math, Science & Technology program, they aren't getting any football players out of that program.

Plus Lexington is getting ready to build another school and split the pie again.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's face it, Male, Manual, Trinity & St. X are ALL Open Enrollment schools, that's why they have so many good players, ANYONE in Jefferson County can go to those schools, that's the difference. Plus, they all 4 have some pretty solid coaching right now as well. I actually think Male & Manual have an advantage over Trinity & X because there is NO tuition!

Except for Boone County, all the schools in NKY have open enrollment as well. Is Louisville's situation different than NKY?

Dunbar has been hurt more than probably most other Fayette schools by Lexington Catholic and LCA over the years as well.

I could probably put Tates Creek in that discussion as well. Heartland is in Tates Creek attendance district & many attend LexCath & LCA.

Iam4thecats, watch & see that Henry Clay & Station stand to loose the most out of this from the new school location.

I know that the school is going to go between them but everyones boundaries will shift a little and shrink a little. When I used the term pie I literally meant pie. Lexington districts are pie pieces and the town is about to go from 5 pie pieces to 6. I lived in Lexington for 12 of my 40 years.

I think it has much to do with priorities, demographics, and coaching. The system in Lexington is so weird that I can't envision anyone from Fayette County ever competing. Henderson County is a big school, but ultimately a rural school. They have lots of kids, but face similar talent waves like many 3A and 4A county schools. I have no idea what to make of Eastern, other than they seem much more interested in basketball and football.

Obviously they can hire better coaches and of course they can do what Trinity and Highlands do and "work harder", but the numbers (and tradition) at those schools make it a very steep hill. Nothing about that is wrong - Trinity and St. X have advantages but aren't at fault because of those advantages and shouldn't be condemned because of them.

Thank you! Very good response. But one more...then take T and X out of the equation and why are Manual, Male and SC untouchable for the NKY schools?

Dunbar has been hurt more than probably most other Fayette schools by Lexington Catholic and LCA over the years as well.

So is part of it that in Louisville, the private schools are some of the largest in the area and the Athletes migrate to T and X, essentially making the rich richer?

Where in other areas like Lexington and NKY, the private schools are smaller, so essentially pulling athletes away from the larger schools?

I know that the school is going to go between them but everyones boundaries will shift a little and shrink a little. When I used the term pie I literally meant pie. Lexington districts are pie pieces and the town is about to go from 5 pie pieces to 6. I lived in Lexington for 12 of my 40 years.

16 of my 40 here :) I know exactly what you meant.

Except for Boone County, all the schools in NKY have open enrollment as well. Is Louisville's situation different than NKY?

Yes, Male & Manual are the only "public" schools that can draw from the Entire county, that's why I've always thought they should have a HUGE advantage over everyone, if you saw Manual's team in person, you would understand what I'm talking about, they are loaded.

Yes, Male & Manual are the only "public" schools that can draw from the Entire county, that's why I've always thought they should have a HUGE advantage over everyone, if you saw Manual's team in person, you would understand what I'm talking about, they are loaded.

Louisville though has that funky magnet school thing as well.

Central and Manual are both magnet schools so technically they can draw from anywhere in the county as long as why you are going there is the program their magnet is associated with.

For Central this doesn't give much of an edge though as they are mainly a Nursing/Health magnet.

http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/Pubs/ChoicesMSHS.pdf

The link above also says there is open enrollment for several public schools on Page 28.

Forget about talking Super District. I think you guys are so great you need to create your own class. Let's call it the Super Class, and you guys can play each other for the championship.

There is the same ole Dixie we know and love. I knew it would come out sooner or later.

Central and Manual are both magnet schools so technically they can draw from anywhere in the county as long as why you are going there is the program their magnet is associated with.

For Central this doesn't give much of an edge though as they are mainly a Nursing/Health magnet.

The link above also says there is open enrollment for several public schools on Page 28.

They do have the magnet thing going on that allows them to attend those schools from all over the county. However, Kenton County has open enrollment too. (SK, Scott and Dixie). Kids can go to any school they want. Is there still a difference?

That explains why Central's female enrollment is so much larger than their male enrollment. Thanks ATL!