P A Announcer issues

DoTell

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the nicknames thing. Not everyone is in on your joke, Mr. PA guy. Some fans might not be all that familiar with the team and would like to know the real names.

The play-by-play after the play is annoying, but I don't hear it that often and can generally tune it out.

It's not just a Northern KY phenomenon. I understand a bias in inflection and so forth but there are a few PA folks here in Jefferson County who egg on the crowd to "get behind the defense" or "accidentally" start talking while a visiting QB is trying to do his cadence or as a play is happening.

PA guys ARE NOT play by play announcers and they shouldn't try to be.

Heard this a lot, but only at one game this season.

Lexington Catholic's PA dude is over the top.

He's got nicknames for everything. Knight needs to tell me who all these people are.

The Cobra

The Couch

The Principle

He said the blue train

The Lexington Catholic make some noise on 3rd down.

But he is a nice guy

What's wrong with that? LC make some noise? Nicknames? So what, what the harm? And that's the J Train btw. Oh " The Couch "? that's the kids last name Braxton Couch.

Tweak the student announcers! Great atmosphere, great football, Pa - not so much. I commend the school in bringing the students into the game atmosphere with the halftime news broadcast, etc. But let the students broadcast JV, Frosh, FTJL and bring in a good voice to match the good football

Highlands media center is off the charts and offers kids a great learning experience most HS kids never get the chance to experience. Fishcer Cook does a great job in broadcasting (would benefit by brushing up on the rules of the game). I heard he was offered a scholarship due to what he has accomplished in Highlands media curriculum. This is what it should be about, yes there may be some negatives with the kids doing the PA, but the benefits outway any negatives!

I'm sure this will illicit so e quick responses from the audience here- but Highlands Group of student PA announcers need to be tweaked.

I think it's fantastic that they have created this opportunity to enter the media world - with game time and half time interviews etc- but many of the things mentioned above should be monitored a little tighter. I don't care so much about nicknames or getting the crowd fired up (to a point) but please just get down and distance and penalties called correctly- or leave it in the hands of a knowledgable adult.

We were saying the exact same thing last Friday. The one kid sounded like he was reading off a script and had little or no prior knowledge of the sport. Great that they are giving the kids a chance to do this. Not so great to have someone cheerleading and playing guess your best on penalty calls.

I will also say that Johnson Central gets an A for pre game atmosphere- and an F for in game. Playing all the audio and music clips you can squeeze into the 25 seconds between plays at ridiculously high volume levels is truly obnoxious.

:ylsuper:

Hasn't been too bad since I block it out, except when there is a penalty and I'm listening for what it was.

At least with football they take a breath every play.

Was at a soccer game, 2 actually, same announcer for back to back games... The guy did not shut up the entire game. The only explanation I could come up with is that he could be talking on a radio broadcast as well.

"#19 dribbles down the right side, passes to 22..."

As if we weren't watching the same thing.

No names will be named as there are multiple offenders in the area that I have heard and no doubt many more that I have not had the displeasure of hearing. I understand that an announcer will tend to be biased for the home team, but it should never be disrespectful toward the opponents and I have not heard any of this locally. My beef is with too much chatter and getting things wrong. If you don't know, just say nothing! And there is no reason to do post-play by play after we have all just seen the play! If there is to be music between plays, let it be from the band.

As my first post, I agree: If there is to be music between plays, let it be from the band.

I hate the PA play by play guy that is yelling fake fake when visitors run some kind if trick play. Its like a coach on the sidelines yelling at the players and telling them what the play is.

Same guy will be yelling its a run up the middle while qb is rolling out to throw.

Highlands media center is off the charts and offers kids a great learning experience most HS kids never get the chance to experience. Fishcer Cook does a great job in broadcasting (would benefit by brushing up on the rules of the game). I heard he was offered a scholarship due to what he has accomplished in Highlands media curriculum. This is what it should be about, yes there may be some negatives with the kids doing the PA, but the benefits outway any negatives!

At South Oldham the Head Coach of any sport is responsible for hiring the PA announcer. South Oldham has a student who does the PA announcing for most sports. He has an incredible voice and does a fantastic job. He was given the opportunity because the last person talked too much. It is a great opportunity for him and they are looking for another student to take over as he is a senior. He has done so well he is going to college majoring in broadcasting. Think schools should look into giving kids the opportunity and "coach'em up" on how to do it.

I personally did this a few times and hated it but wasn't overly obnoxious. The hardest part was remembering to turn the mic off before saying to the guy next well that was a bad call or so and so is having a bad night.

I heard a guy not long ago who sounded like he was blowing into the mic every time he spoke that got old quick.

The funniest that I heard this year was during the Meade/Central Hardin regional championship game at CH. It was 3rd and long for MC and the announcer said "3rd & Brandenburg." (MC is located in Brandenburg.) I only think it is funny now because we beat the pants off of them. At the time, I thought it was a little much. :D