Sheriff Helmig resigns but only until Jan 4???

Plato

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old Enquirer story noted Helmig started with the sheriff's department in '82 at age 21. So he was born circa '61 and is about 53 years old. Retirement in a state system usually based on combination of years of service and age, I believe.

I had 55 typed out but opted for close to 60. Sorry Sheriff.

Kentucky school administrators also double-dip like this. Common practice. My biggest beef is watching Judge Exec Moore on TV all smiles and acting like he doesn't know what's going on.

It used to be real common for law enforcement officers but I thought there was a change a few years back that made it much more difficult.

Either way, if the Sheriff qualifies, more power to him.

People in Hazardous Duty Jobs in Kentucky may retire with full benefits after 25 years (Changed a few years ago from 20 years).

This is no different that a State Trooper that retires and then goes to work teaching at the academy in Richmond, working for with another department or getting elected Sheriff.

I do believe that it will be cheaper on the county now that he has done this due to not having to pay as many benefits on him since he has his retirement coming in. In the short and long run this will be cheaper on the citizens of Boone County and better for the Sheriff...it's actually a win-win IMO.

People in Hazardous Duty Jobs in Kentucky may retire with full benefits after 25 years (Changed a few years ago from 20 years).

This is no different that a State Trooper that retires and then goes to work teaching at the academy in Richmond, working for with another department or getting elected Sheriff.

I do believe that it will be cheaper on the county now that he has done this due to not having to pay as many benefits on him since he has his retirement coming in. In the short and long run this will be cheaper on the citizens of Boone County and better for the Sheriff...it's actually a win-win IMO.

If we are going to take that approach we do have a struggling pension system so I am not sure it is a complete win-win.

Right' date=' but generally there are age restrictions involved in most retirement plans. The double dipping was my first thought, and why I asked his age. We are on the same page. Does anyone know his approximate age, and also how many years has he served as sheriff?[/quote']

He's been the sheriff forever, at least 15 years.

If we are going to take that approach we do have a struggling pension system so I am not sure it is a complete win-win.

True, but if he just went to the house he'd get the pension any way.

Would anyone even look at this twice if he retired with his pension and went to work as a Loss Prevention Dist Mgr for KMart, took a teaching job at the academy or pretty much took any other job?

True, but if he just went to the house he'd get the pension any way.

Would anyone even look at this twice if he retired with his pension and went to work as a Loss Prevention Dist Mgr for KMart, took a teaching job at the academy or pretty much took any other job?

Versus coming back for a second pension in the same system?