Sheriff Helmig resigns but only until Jan 4???

Plato

His health insurance will be free with his retirement so taking what his department offers doesn't make much sense unless the plan is superior.

I believe the county of Boone health insurance is better than the state's retirement insurance. Mybe I'm wrong but it is what I have be told by others that have retired

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So overall a good thing for the voters who voted him in on the current budget.

I believe so. Boone County is going to save some money in salary alone, maybe insurance too. You have to look at it this way, the Sheriff has been eligible to retire for awhile and if he just up and retired someone else would have to take his place so no matter how you cut the pie the taxpayers are not going to pay any more.

Also, I talked to someone today that told me there was a change in the law that allows Sheriff's Departments to make moves like this. It will also allow them to hire some retired law enforcement officers too.

Overall, I think this is a good thing and if I was the Sheriff I would do the exact same thing.

• 1 month later...

Update story from Cincinnati Enquirer:

FRANKFORT – A new bill introduced this week by a local state senator would prohibit public officials from retiring between the time they are re-elected and the time they take office. The tactic is called "double-dipping" because it allows that official to receive a full pension but then come back to work for a full salary.

Bill sponsor Sen. John Schickel, R-Union, said Thursday (1-8-15) that the legislation is a direct result of the actions of Boone County Sheriff Michael Helmig, who left office for a month following his re-election in November and was sworn back in earlier this month.

"I've known this loophole has been there for awhile, but after all the calls I received about the sheriff, it was time to put it on the front burner," Schickel said. "People elect their officials to fill out a four-year term, not four years minus one month.

"And given the horrible shape of the pension system, it just sets a horrible example for public employees," Schickel said, referring to the state's $8.7 billion unfunded pension liability.

The Kentucky Retirement System is considered the worst-funded state pension plan in the nation, with only 26 percent of the assets needed to fund the guaranteed benefits over the next 25 years or so.

Helmig nor county officials have yet confirmed that the sheriff officially retired in November or that he will receive his full pension. In the past, county officials have argued that such moves actually save counties money, since the returning official is hired back at a lower rate and receives health benefits through the pension system and not through the county.

Through a spokesman, Helmig declined comment for the story. Kentucky Retirement System attorneys have previously stated that whether an employee is considered retired is not public information.

Boone County Judge-executive Gary Moore declined comment on the bill, saying he had not read it yet. In Helmig's one-month absence, he appointed Col. Les Hill as sheriff. He also said that he did not know whether Helmig officially retired or not or whether he will receive his pension.

Schickel said the bill would only apply to elected officials. And practically, it probably would only apply to sheriff's and/or jailers, who receive hazard pay. Under current KRS rules, such workers can return to work after just a month, while other workers need to wait three months.

"As a practical matter, it's only for those with hazardous pay," said Schickel, a former state policeman and the former jailer for Boone County. "I chose not to do this with my own pension when I was jailer even though I could have."

Since the current General Assembly session only lasts 30 business days, Schickel said he did not know whether the bill had a chance to become law.

"Either we do this or require officials to state their intentions before the election, since the public deserves to know that they will take the final month of their term off," Schickel said.

From the private sector, it is cheaper for a guy to retire, take his pension, and come back to work and not be in the pension when he comes back. A lot cheaper to do a match vs continue to accrue pension liabilities. The person no longer adds service to their pension, no longer grows their final average earnings. The sticking point is the guy usually must be gone from the company a decent amount of time before you rehire them. Otherwise, your plan could be in hot water compliance wise, like you're gaming the system to give him his retirement.

After reading the bill it makes sense. It is only meant for elected offices of sheriff and jailer. It does not affect teachers or officers.

But if you are elected to a four year term it is a shady practice. Plus with the state pension plan only 26% funded , wow that is scary.

While the practice saves local people in the short run it could hurt the entire state in the long run.