Basketball in KY needs to be classified...

I've met MANY. Try some smaller schools.:thumb:

I am from EKY, and it doesn't get much smaller than Paintsville, Phelps, Pikeville, South Floyd, Red Bird, Jackson City, and a few more. But let me guess your from a school in NKY that is A class and you parents have pounded into your kids heads that a class system is better.

If you go 2 classes I'm pretty sure you still won't be happy, because it will be a little ove 100 schools in each and then you would cry there is too much differenc because SilverGrove has 210 kids total and we are the smallest in A and the largest has 650, then you'd want 3 classes.

If you haven't won a region in 1 class, I feel confident in saying you won't win a State Title in 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from EKY, and it doesn't get much smaller than Paintsville, Phelps, Pikeville, South Floyd, Red Bird, Jackson City, and a few more. But let me guess your from a school in NKY that is A class and you parents have pounded into your kids heads that a class system is better.

Hey I'm from a small school in NKY and feel the same way you do. Don't label us all the same, as I feel he is in the minority. :fight: ;)

How about 4 class champions and 1 overall champion.

For example:

Wednesday morning of Sweet 16

Class A Region 1 vs. Region 2

Class A Region 3 vs. REgion 4

Wednesday night

Class AA REgion 1 vs. Region 2

Class AA Region 3 vs. Region 4

Thursday morning

Class AAA Region 1 vs. Region 2

Class AAA Region 3 vs. Region 4

Thursday night

Class AAAA Region 1 vs. Region 2

Class AAAA Region 3 vs. Region 4

Friday morning

Class A Finals

Class AA Finals

Friday night

Class AAA Finals

Class AAAA Finals

Saturday morning

Class A Champion vs. AA Champion

Class AAA vs. AAAA Champion

Saturday night

Winners from morning session play for overall State Champion

Now drawing can be held to determine which class plays which on Saturday morning as well as to decide which sessions each class plays in for the first round.

Some will argue that it would take away from a class championship by getting beat in a semifinal or in the Saturday Championship. Does it take away from winning a region title then going to the state and getting beat? Four teams would be able to call themselves state champs and these kids would have championship rings. Just like in football. But, then for all the traditionalist, we would still crown an overall state champ on Saturday night. I actually think this would work. Look at all the positives there are. We would still have the Sweet 16, there would be 4 state champs, 1 overall state champ, the crowd would still be the same or maybe better (the 4 A schools would most likely turn out more fans than the 4AAAA schools would.), and the KHSAA still gets there money. Which is their main concern.

What do you think?

Classified? Please, this gets very old.

No need to classify something when they already ahve a state championship for all the A schools anyway. I guess you want the cake and ice cream, huh?

If this went into place then the All "A" would not be needed. In my opinion the All "A" does more harm than good. Look at the 4 semi-finalists from this years All "A". They really slumped after the tournament. I always respected Russellville for what they did about 5 years ago. They held out of the All "A" and had some good showings in the Sweet 16. I'm not in favor of classes but my post above is just a sample of what could be done if the state went to classification. Les, I'll take the ice cream but I don't like cake!

If you go 2 classes I'm pretty sure you still won't be happy, because it will be a little ove 100 schools in each and then you would cry there is too much differenc because SilverGrove has 210 kids total and we are the smallest in A and the largest has 650, then you'd want 3 classes.

If you haven't won a region in 1 class, I feel confident in saying you won't win a State Title in 2

Shows how much you pay attention. You're not even close.

I'm pretty sure I would be happy, thanks for telling me what I'd feel. It's amusing that people think 4 and even 6classes is ok for football but basketball is fine with 100 more teams and only one class.

For the record, I'm not crying and I've made no reference to any school I'm affiliated with. However, the hypocrisy that theGuru stated in his first post is being proven by the absolute disgust of a two class idea from most that's posted in this thread. I'd say theGuru proved his initial point.

I'm pretty sure that I have stated that I am FULLY AGAINST any split in football, 4 classes is enough.

That's my point exactly. There are roughly 165 football schools in the state of KY and roughly 245 basketball schools. How are 4 classes enough for football yet only one class is necessary for basketball?

That's my point exactly. There are roughly 165 football schools in the state of KY and roughly 245 basketball schools. How are 4 classes enough for football yet only one class is necessary for basketball?

There is 219 football schools.

OK, big guy lets go 1 class for football just like basketball, have 16 regions of 13/14 schools, each region having 4 districts of 3/4 teams. Top 2 teams each district makes the playoffs. 32 team playoff ends the same time ours does now.

The 15th would be dominated by Belfry, Prestonsburg, Pikeville, and Lawrence Co. with Sheldon Clark every now and then. Those are the only 5 teams that would have made the playoffs the past 30 years with Belfry and Pikeville more than the others. I am sure the other regions would be fairly similar to the 15th.

I'm all for it, go one class for football, but there has to be a clause in that there is no mercy rule, you can beat someone 300-0 if you want with full clock, because there is not one in basketball, and all parents have to sign a waiver that they cannot sue for their child getting hurt.

Be careful what you ask for.

You see in basketball 1 kid can get hot for a weekend and avg. 30 ppg to carry his team to Rupp, in football one kid cannot get hot and score 30 TD's in game for 5 weeks and carry his team to Louisville.

There is a difference in basketball and football, and that is why there is differences in the way the Champion is crowned.

There is 219 football schools.

OK, big guy lets go 1 class for football just like basketball, have 16 regions of 13/14 schools, each region having 4 districts of 3/4 teams. Top 2 teams each district makes the playoffs. 32 team playoff ends the same time ours does now.

The 15th would be dominated by Belfry, Prestonsburg, Pikeville, and Lawrence Co. with Sheldon Clark every now and then. Those are the only 5 teams that would have made the playoffs the past 30 years with Belfry and Pikeville more than the others. I am sure the other regions would be fairly similar to the 15th.

I'm all for it, go one class for football, but there has to be a clause in that there is no mercy rule, you can beat someone 300-0 if you want with full clock, because there is not one in basketball, and all parents have to sign a waiver that they cannot sue for their child getting hurt.

Be careful what you ask for.

You see in basketball 1 kid can get hot for a weekend and avg. 30 ppg to carry his team to Rupp, in football one kid cannot get hot and score 30 TD's in game for 5 weeks and carry his team to Louisville.

There is a difference in basketball and football, and that is why there is differences in the way the Champion is crowned.

You're right, around 212 (4 classes) is what I found for football. Basketball has 279 (1 class).

What you just stated sarcastically about football is basketball in the state of KY. Once again proving theGuru's initial point. It's ok for football yet not ok for basketball (which has more teams).;)

Does anyone know if KY truly is the only state left in the US that still does not classify basketball? BTW, when I ask an employee why they did something the way they did and their response is, "Well we've always done it that way," it drives me bananas. My response is, "Just because we've always done it that way doesn't mean it's right."

For the record, I'm far from a "big guy."

I have never once met a high school athlete who wants a class system for basketball. IMO it boils down to people trying to make things better for the kids when it isn't what the kids even want.

Isn't the bolded the definition of being a good parent?

Cause my son wants peanut butter and jelly for supper every night.

I think that in Kentucky the "sweet sixteen" is what it is all about, it is probably one of the best h.s. tourneys/concepts in the nation. Small schools have won it before. I support and am a fan of a small school (Raceland), there is the "All A" classic but I don't think that it is sanctioned by the KHSAA. I just love the concept of one tournament - state wide for all the marbles. As for football being classified - I can see that bc there are a fewer number of kids that make up a basketball team that do a football team. Small schools would have a much harder time matching up in football just due to the number of kids in the school and the number of kids that it takes to make up a football team as opposed to basketball. There is nothing wrong with the sweet sixteen staying the way it is. After all, there is always the chance/dream of the little guy taking it all and that is what makes it special.

Isn't the bolded the definition of being a good parent?

Cause my son wants peanut butter and jelly for supper every night.

100% :thumb: but IMO (which isn't always right, look at my brackets) this is a totally different situation. People are saying that there should be more state championships, but there is no way to possibly say that they wouldn't be watered down. All that happens when you let another team win is pose more controversy. Ex. this small school wins, but they recruited or they are private etc.

I have posted a few months ago how a season can be considered a success without a state championship. We are talking about a state championship, let little Johnny experience the fact that chances are he isn't going to win one, but at the same time his team has 5 players on the court vs. 5 players on the other team.

Instead of screaming hipocrisy, shouldn't Kentucky be commended for crowning the one team most worthy as the state's best instead of a few teams who ended their seasons with a win, but still don't know how they stack up?

100% :thumb: but IMO (which isn't always right, look at my brackets) this is a totally different situation. People are saying that there should be more state championships, but there is no way to possibly say that they wouldn't be watered down. All that happens when you let another team win is pose more controversy. Ex. this small school wins, but they recruited or they are private etc.

I have posted a few months ago how a season can be considered a success without a state championship. We are talking about a state championship, let little Johnny experience the fact that chances are he isn't going to win one, but at the same time his team has 5 players on the court vs. 5 players on the other team.

Instead of screaming hiporcracy, shouldn't Kentucky be commended for crowning the one team most worthy as the state's best instead of a few teams who ended their seasons with a win, but still don't know how they stack up?

I agree with what you have said in the first two paragraphs.

The most my players ever learned about life was the season we were one of the top 5 teams in the region and lost in the first round of the district to the eventual region champion. We learned to deal with defeat of your dreams (that happens more in life than realizing your dreams), respect in defeat and handling adversity.

As far as the last paragraph, kids who win the Class A presently, get to experience the thrill of seeing their hardwork come to fruitation. I don't think they look at their state title (NOT recognized by KHSAA as a state title) for Class A and think it is not a real state title. At least at Bishop Brossart, I think they have a banner hanging in the rafters claiming it as a state title.

Why do we limit kids seeing that same thing to a select few while others across the country do not?