New School In Scott County

A friend of mine lives in Scott Co. and kids attend public school there. She said that they will be building a new school in Two years. Scott Co. is over crowded. Any one heard this. If so how does this effect Athletics. I would think it would be an attractive job.

I saw this on twitter the other day and can't help but think it will make it more difficult for Scott County to continue their level of excellence. I have seen this type of thing happen here in Fl. a few times and it took several years for the home/main/first school to recover and get back to where they were, and some of them still haven't.

Does anyone think it could depend on the class of school? Could Scott Co. build a A or AA school that provides just enough relief without doing a lot of damage to the athletics at the larger school? Are county high schools in KY permitted to offer open enrollment? I know the middle schools in Scott Co. offer this.

Size of the school will matter. If it's a small A or AA school, shouldn't be too bad. If it's a 4A or 5A and they literally halve the student population, that could cause some problems...at least for football. So long as Billy Hicks is their basketball coach, they'll get transfers in and keep winning. This is more of a football issue. Also, I would think that most kids would want to go to the newer school. Seems to be what's happened in Shelby County once Collins opened.

Does anyone think it could depend on the class of school? Could Scott Co. build a A or AA school that provides just enough relief without doing a lot of damage to the athletics at the larger school? Are county high schools in KY permitted to offer open enrollment? I know the middle schools in Scott Co. offer this.

So the size of the school should be dictated by athletics of the other school? I thought schools were about educations? And aren't "student-athletes", students first?

So the size of the school should be dictated by athletics of the other school? I thought schools were about educations? And aren't "student-athletes", students first?

See, this is the problem in KY. This thought process right here. One school, two schools, three schools....academics would be very good in Scott County.

I don't think that's what anybody is saying at all. Concerned? Yes. Running behind the belief that it could effect the GREAT THINGS that Scott County HS and the Georgetown community have rolling in all things athletics and academics? Yes.

"Ohhhhhh My Gooooooooodddddddddddd!!!!! We are over 2,000 kids and we are overcrowded and our kids aren't getting the attention they need!!!!!!! Quick....let's build another school!"

I've mentioned this in another thread, but it amazes me how states like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina...heck, all around us...even to our north in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania have 2k-3K population schools that are more norm than exception. Here in KY, everybody freaks out and DON'T DARE publicly admit that sports/extracurriculars as JUST AS MUCH IMPORTANT to the educational process, school climate and community as academics. Heavens no.

Here is an idea...why don't they just add on? Build a freshman and sophomore campus? Jr and Sr. Campus?!

Or is that just a totally mind blowing, futuristic out of this world, makes to much sense idea for this day and age?

Not sure the specs of the new school.

However, it would be completely FOOLISH and make no sense (or cents) to build a 2-A high school.

As fast as Scott County has been growing, the new school (assuming it was built to only be 1-A or 2-A) would be maxed out.

As far as I know, the new non-merger schools which have taken away from others are not of the 1-A or 2-A variety:

- Collins (took away from Shelby County)

- North Oldham (took away from either South Oldham or North Oldham or both)

- Thomas Nelson (took away from Nelson County)

- South Warren (took away from Greenwood, but also pulled from Warren Central)

- John Hardin (took away from Central Hardin and North Hardin)

- Cooper (pulled from Ryle and somebody else)

All six have opened in the last 15 years. None are 1-A or 2-A.

Think it's safe to say the new school in Scott County as well as Fayette County (yes, new public school is coming to Lexington, too) will be 3-A or 4-A ... at LEAST.

See, this is the problem in KY. This thought process right here. One school, two schools, three schools....academics would be very good in Scott County.

I don't think that's what anybody is saying at all. Concerned? Yes. Running behind the belief that it could effect the GREAT THINGS that Scott County HS and the Georgetown community have rolling in all things athletics and academics? Yes.

"Ohhhhhh My Gooooooooodddddddddddd!!!!! We are over 2,000 kids and we are overcrowded and our kids aren't getting the attention they need!!!!!!! Quick....let's build another school!"

I've mentioned this in another thread, but it amazes me how states like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina...heck, all around us...even to our north in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania have 2k-3K population schools that are more norm than exception. Here in KY, everybody freaks out and DON'T DARE publicly admit that sports/extracurriculars as JUST AS MUCH IMPORTANT to the educational process, school climate and community as academics. Heavens no.

Here is an idea...why don't they just add on? Build a freshman and sophomore campus? Jr and Sr. Campus?!

Or is that just a totally mind blowing, futuristic out of this world, makes to much sense idea for this day and age?

This site is primarily dedicated to athletics, so I'll go down that path. I do not know how large schools in GA, FL, etc. account for this (maybe they don't care), but a 2K-3K school may tend to have very successful athletic programs, but the disappointing thing to me would be that so many girls and boys cannot participate in these programs because of the available talent pool. There are likely kids walking the halls of Scott Co. that would love to play baseball or golf or basketball and aren't able to. Having the opportunity to participate in high school athletics can be a great experience for a young person.

This site is primarily dedicated to athletics, so I'll go down that path. I do not know how large schools in GA, FL, etc. account for this (maybe they don't care), but a 2K-3K school may tend to have very successful athletic programs, but the disappointing thing to me would be that so many girls and boys cannot participate in these programs because of the available talent pool. There are likely kids walking the halls of Scott Co. that would love to play baseball or golf or basketball and aren't able to. Having the opportunity to participate in high school athletics can be a great experience for a young person.

They could still play, probably just not on varsity. It's not like Scott County is carrying 40-man JV baseball, softball and soccer rosters.

And the size has its advantage, too. You can offer more sports and sports-like activities like archery, bowling, bass fishing, wrestling, lacrosse, field hockey, ice hockey (believe T and X both have), powerlifing, boys' volleyball (taller net, harder hitting), JROTC drill team, winter guard, etc.

It's awfully hard for a small school to be able to offer all of those.

Awfully hard for small schools to offer upper-level classes such as AP Italian or AP Physics.

Might be harder to earn your VARSITY spot at a big school, but spots are still available. And there are MORE opportunities because there are generally more offerings.

They could still play, probably just not on varsity. It's not like Scott County is carrying 40-man JV baseball, softball and soccer rosters.

And the size has its advantage, too. You can offer more sports and sports-like activities like archery, bowling, bass fishing, wrestling, lacrosse, field hockey, ice hockey (believe T and X both have), powerlifing, boys' volleyball (taller net, harder hitting), JROTC drill team, winter guard, etc.

It's awfully hard for a small school to be able to offer all of those.

Awfully hard for small schools to offer upper-level classes such as AP Italian or AP Physics.

Might be harder to earn your VARSITY spot at a big school, but spots are still available. And there are MORE opportunities because there are generally more offerings.

You make a valid argument. However, if a kid that wanted to play basketball and was told to either find happiness on the JV team (not sure how that works for a senior) or give bowling a try...I'm not sure I'd like it.

There is a thread on this topic that was posted in the Football Forum a couple weeks ago. There was a article posted in the thread. It said when the new school opens in will house 700 students. It said when all phases are complete, it will house around 1500 students. With 1500 students a school will be able to offer a lot of different sports, activities, clubs, and classes. There are negatives and positives to both a huge school vs. two medium to large schools. But in this situation, probably the right thing to do is open a second school. I think students will be getting more opportunity as opposed to less.

Not sure the specs of the new school.

However, it would be completely FOOLISH and make no sense (or cents) to build a 2-A high school.

As fast as Scott County has been growing, the new school (assuming it was built to only be 1-A or 2-A) would be maxed out.

As far as I know, the new non-merger schools which have taken away from others are not of the 1-A or 2-A variety:

- Collins (took away from Shelby County)

- North Oldham (took away from either South Oldham or North Oldham or both)

- Thomas Nelson (took away from Nelson County)

- South Warren (took away from Greenwood, but also pulled from Warren Central)

- John Hardin (took away from Central Hardin and North Hardin)

- Cooper (pulled from Ryle and somebody else)

All six have opened in the last 15 years. None are 1-A or 2-A.

Think it's safe to say the new school in Scott County as well as Fayette County (yes, new public school is coming to Lexington, too) will be 3-A or 4-A ... at LEAST.

I agree... To me, it wouldn't make sense to build a small school. You'd be building another one in a matter of years.