New School In Scott County

You make a valid argument. However, if a kid that wanted to play basketball and was told to either find happiness on the JV team (not sure how that works for a senior) or give bowling a try...I'm not sure I'd like it.

Seniors CAN play JV. No KHSAA bylaw against it at all. At least none I can find in handbook.

And if the best argument someone can come up with for building/not building an XX size school is the "happiness of borderline varsity players" ... well, that's not much of an argument.

Seniors aren't guaranteed anything. This isn't tenure like teaching.

Plus, if you're borderline as a senior, you're not very good to begin with in basketball (since most teams will carry at least 12 kids). And if you're going to sit the bench 90 percent of the time anyway, do you REALLY want to play varsity?

That's why many coaches aren't afraid to cut borderline seniors. Not worth the hassle. Young kids are OK sitting bench varsity (because they're getting plenty of minutes in frosh and JV and using bench time with varsity getting experience for future). Seniors, and parents of seniors, can become trouble for coaches because they think they're owed something.

High school sports are a privilege. Not a RIGHT. Even for seniors. Big school, small school be darned.

Also, several players who were so-so in some sports have turned out to be great in others/new sports. In my area, that's bowling (both genders) and lacrosse (boys).

Sometimes you just have to close one door to have one open for you.

Seniors CAN play JV. No KHSAA bylaw against it at all. At least none I can find in handbook.

Well, I'm getting off subject and kind of thread jacking here...but I digress.

While you may be correct in the above statement...though I'm not 100% sure either...I know that playing seniors on a JV squad is at least frowned upon in many if not most circumstances. And, except under certain specific circumstances, why would a coach want to play a senior on JV anyway? Every minute a senior plays jv is a minute a younger player ISN'T getting who might actually have the potential to help the varsity the following year. And the JV is there to develop players for varsity...at least that's the hope.

Well, I'm getting off subject and kind of thread jacking here...but I digress.

While you may be correct in the above statement...though I'm not 100% sure either...I know that playing seniors on a JV squad is at least frowned upon in many if not most circumstances. And, except under certain specific circumstances, why would a coach want to play a senior on JV anyway? Every minute a senior plays jv is a minute a younger player ISN'T getting who might actually have the potential to help the varsity the following year. And the JV is there to develop players for varsity...at least that's the hope.

I didn't say I AGREE with seniors playing JV. I do NOT.

I was just pointing out is technically NOT illegal in the eyes of the KHSAA. I'd rather have a senior play JV over a middle schooler because the senior is playing for ... well, a school he actually attends. In many places, I'll see MS girls play a whole season of MS girls basketball (some schools have separate 7th and 8th grade teams) in the fall and then turn around and play freshman/JV/varsity in the winter.

No real other options for juniors and seniors who can't make HS varsity/JV (unless you count church-league basketball).

On the flip side, why have a senior sit the bench varsity and barely play when a younger kid could have that spot and be practicing against the varsity every day. Younger kid likely to help you in future (and is helping you on frosh and JV levels), while a bench-sitting senior is ... a bench-sitting senior.

I'm not seniors who play key roles off the bench and there are TONS of them in this state. I'm talking about 30-30 seniors, who don't play unless their teams are up 30 or down 30.

In some states, MS kids can't play HS sports, so they don't have to worry about that "problem."

And if the best argument someone can come up with for building/not building an XX size school is the "happiness of borderline varsity players" ... well, that's not much of an argument.

Sometimes you just have to close one door to have one open for you.

They are currently 700 students over capacity of the high school. That means they would have to build an extra half of the current school onto SCHS, just to get the capacity right. That is without leaving room for growth. Not sure how much land is available at the current location. Could be parking concerns, traffic concerns. To me if would make more sense to have 1500 in one part of G-town and 1500 in another part. Not to mention you have Scott County Middle next to the high school. There are more issues than just borderline varsity players.

I agree... To me, it wouldn't make sense to build a small school. You'd be building another one in a matter of years.

This. With the way the Georgetown area is growing and with the Georgetown ends of Lexington being or set to be revitalized in some ways, then I'd think you would need to build a pretty big school unless you are fine with building another one in a few years anyway.

BTW, someone earlier in the thread mentioned separate buildings for freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, Scott County already has a separate building for freshmen.

This. With the way the Georgetown area is growing and with the Georgetown ends of Lexington being or set to be revitalized in some ways, then I'd think you would need to build a pretty big school unless you are fine with building another one in a few years anyway.

BTW, someone earlier in the thread mentioned separate buildings for freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, Scott County already has a separate building for freshmen.

The HS and Freshman Center are connected. It is more like its own wing.

Here is a thought. Scott Middle has been really good for the last 10-15 years, great success, maybe those kids will go to the new school and continue playing. I would think that G-town middle schoolers would want to go there as well. In the last 3-4 years at least 3 starters on Scott County's teams did not play middle school there. If I was a middle school player I would be excited about a new opportunity to play