PGA Championship

Hellbird

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was mentioned earlier on this thread that to volunteer at The Senior event next season it cost $130, what was the cost to volunteer at this PGA? Are hotels pretty much booked at this event and next season's? How far in advance do you have to sign up to volunteer? Thanks.

A friend was there in 2000, I think maybe as a standard-bearer or something along those lines.

One of the perks was that he got to play the course. This guy - as Mentsch can tell you, is a pretty fair golfer. He told me that he hit a pretty fair drive on one of those monster par-4s. He was told, "Nice drive, Mr. Calvert. You have 240 yards for your second shot".

And who knows when the next one will be held at Valhalla. They have the courses all set for the next several years, and it will be a long while before it gets to Louisville again.

I was waiting for him to make some jerkish comments and he never did.

Fowler missing that final putt probably helped his attitude.

And his wallet.

But that's not what these guys are about. They want to win. Another factor that may have softened the blow was (I think) qualifying for the Ryder Cup.

Not a huge fan of the course but man it always brings excitement every time they are there. Crowds looked huge and loud.

That was a ton of fun to watch. The PGA seems to be more exciting the last few years than the US Open. I love it when there's birdies to be had but trouble if you hit errant shot also.

I think PGA is booked through at least 2019 but I have to imagine Valhalla will be in rotation every 10 years, especially since PGA owns it.

If Tiger would have been in last 3 or 4 groups, the PGA of America and CBS would have had their dream scenario. Phil, Rory, Fowler and Tiger.

With all the injuries and what not and with Tom Watson not making his captains picks until early Sept, any chance he takes Tiger?

That was unreal!!!! The absolute best!!

We got there at 7am, got out spot on the side of the 18th green, front row, parked our chairs there and watched a couple groups in 1,8,9 and 10 before heading back to our seats and let rock show begin!! When Phil and Ricky would make a big putt you'd hear the roars echo around the course and then when Rory did something the roars were just as loud.

It was better than I ever would have imagined.

It was a rock concert on a golf course.

Was on the course for 12 hours (8:45 am - 8:45 pm). Most of that time was spent next to the tv tower behind 7. We saw every group come through. We could see the tee shots on 5, the approach on 7, and the drives on 8. If you ever get the chance to go, I recommend that spot!

That was unreal!!!! The absolute best!!

We got there at 7am, got out spot on the side of the 18th green, front row, parked our chairs there and watched a couple groups in 1,8,9 and 10 before heading back to our seats and let rock show begin!! When Phil and Ricky would make a big putt you'd hear the roars echo around the course and then when Rory did something the roars were just as loud.

It was better than I ever would have imagined.

It was a rock concert on a golf course.

Good to finally meet you HB. It was an awesome tourney

Very exciting tourney. But, I really enjoyed wathing the finale from home yesterday. I went to the tourney Saturday, and we had a nice time. However, I will not complain, but rather ask some questions: 1) we had a lot of trouble texting...so much so, I couldn't hook up with mini-Doomer1...I guess cell tower overload?; 2) I have been to other PGA events where they use digital billboards which are much more informative, easier to update, but at Valhalla this weekend, the old style "manual" scoreboards were utilized which were not nearly so informative. Was this because it was a major or a course limitation? And with the network overload, I couldn't access the internet consistently.

Lastly, hats off to the grounds crew, even with all the rain, the course and even walking areas were in remarkable condition.

Not a huge fan of the course but man it always brings excitement every time they are there. Crowds looked huge and loud.

That was a ton of fun to watch. The PGA seems to be more exciting the last few years than the US Open. I love it when there's birdies to be had but trouble if you hit errant shot also.

I like the PGA setup better than the U.S. Open. With the PGA they don't make it so ridiculously difficult with deep rough and other obstacles. The U.S. Open sometimes turns into a survival race with who gets the lucky bounce or break. People want to see great shots be rewarded. It's not always that way with the U.S. Open.