All Decade State Tournament Team (1990's)

Good call on that one. You are 100% correct on Eastern beating North Hardin then losing to Fleming County. I was a kid then and didn’t look it back up when I was going on about it and had the wrong “blue teams”. Highlands beat Graves County (mystery blue team). The Birds got knocked off by Scott County in the semis. My mistake on that one for sure. I think I was getting a lot of it confused because Eastern had actually beaten Highlands in the finals the year before.

One of the toughest things about findings records too far back then (if you can call 1996-1997 that) is that the Internet hadn’t really taken off (so Google searches don’t turn up tons, and when they do, if it’s from a smaller town, they are usually just scanned in versions of print that you can’t word search. KHSAA.org only goes back to 1998 as well.

Definitely intrigued by the Eastern team now, and again, thanks for correcting me on the Eastern/Highlands one, because that one was way off (they weren’t even on the same side of the bracket).

I’ll try to look up more on Morton, Coward, and Olinger, then post what I find later on.

Just a quick glance through an older program says that Eastern’s Trent Coward was the 1997 tournament MVP. Eastern’s Ashley Olinger and Antwan Taylor were also named to All-Tounament Team as well.

Here’s a quip from USA Today ranking the Eagles 20th in the nation to conclude the season:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketba/skb97.htm

It was really cool seeing some of the pros who were playing in high school that year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People aren't giving Smith from Highlands enough credit. The guy played that the NIKE camp when that was THE main show.

Smith has had my attention on this list for quite some time. Huge, wide body, and to top it all super athletic. Would run out and leave everyone else's bigs at the other end... the only people quick enough to stay with him for 84 or 94 were usually guards, and they didn't have anywhere near the strength needed to keep him for getting where he wanted to go and playing bully ball under the rim.

Will never forget in one of their state games, I'm thinking '99, a kid (from Hendo) tried intentionally fouling him to prevent a breakaway layup and the way Smith went up, it made that poor kid take the brunt of the shot, get the foul called on him, and still didn't stop his basket. Raw power is only so much of a descriptor for Smith until you saw the rest of what he could do.

Guy had that demeanor and game that made you realize he was going to be something special if he kept it up and stayed healthy.

Good call on that one. You are 100% correct on Eastern beating North Hardin then losing to Fleming County. I was a kid then and didn’t look it back up when I was going on about it and had the wrong “blue teams”. Highlands beat Graves County (mystery blue team). The Birds got knocked off by Scott County in the semis. My mistake on that one for sure. I think I was getting a lot of it confused because Eastern had actually beaten Highlands in the finals the year before.

One of the toughest things about findings records too far back then (if you can call 1996-1997 that) is that the Internet hadn’t really taken off (so Google searches don’t turn up tons, and when they do, if it’s from a smaller town, they are usually just scanned in versions of print that you can’t word search. KHSAA.org only goes back to 1998 as well.

Definitely intrigued by the Eastern team now, and again, thanks for correcting me on the Eastern/Highlands one, because that one was way off (they weren’t even on the same side of the bracket).

I’ll try to look up more on Morton, Coward, and Olinger, then post what I find later on.

Just a quick glance through an older program says that Eastern’s Trent Coward was the 1997 tournament MVP. Eastern’s Ashley Olinger and Antwan Taylor were also named to All-Tounament Team as well.

Here’s a quip from USA Today ranking the Eagles 20th in the nation to conclude the season:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketba/skb97.htm

On the first bolded, no biggie. As you mentioned a lot of this was pre-internet so we are all more or less going off memory. Can't tell you how many times I've gone by memory and been wrong on here.

On the second bolded, great find. I love looking at stuff like this. It was interesting reading all the names on those teams, many who a lot of us remember, but also many who I'd never heard of.

Scary thing I didn't remember about that Eastern team; they averaged 88.8 points a game! That's scary. Olinger is the kid I thought was their best player, and I remember Taylor being a kid that was quick and strong (good scorer). Game came very easy for Coward, he did everything well.

People aren't giving Smith from Highlands enough credit. The guy played that the NIKE camp when that was THE main show.

Piggy backing a bit on what I posted about Jenkins, Smith received multiple DI basketball offers even after he had committed to UK for football. Says something about how much coaches thought of him.

People tend to think of Smith as a football player who played basketball, and he was anything but that.

The fact that Eastern can be a top 25 team in USA Today's season ending poll, only lose 2 games in Kentucky, and average around 88 points a game but still be overlooked speaks to the depth and talent of Kentucky basketball in the 90's. Might not have been as much depth and talent in terms of local kids who went on to play at Kentucky or Louisville as in other eras, but there were still some very good players.

• 9 months later...

I'll name a few players that should be mentioned. James Douglas(Owensboro/Sullivan Juco/University of New Orleans). Douglas led Owensboro to the Semi's of the Sweet 16 in 1992. He was on the Sweet 16 all tourney team and was a KY All Star. He was an all Sun Belt Conference performer for New Orleans. James Douglas ended his college career with 15 & 7 against UNC in the 1996 NCAA tourney. Bobby Higgs(Owensboro). He is/was the little brother of former KY All Star Dwight Higgs. First cousin of Kenny Higgs(LSU/NBA) & Mark Higgs(UK/NFL). Higgs was a 6'3 swing man who teamed up with James Douglas in 1992. In the Sweet 16 Higgs had a game against Scott Co or Belfry where he had 30+ points and 20+ rebounds. He made the all tourney team. Was invited to try out for the KY All Stars but he gave up organized ball after losing to UHA in the Semi's that year. Sullivan Juco wanted Higgs and Douglas.

Rayshawn Morris - Fairdale - Sweet 16 MVP Sullivan Junior College National Champs / All Junior College Team

Eric Martin - Sweet 16 All- Tournament / KY All-Stars / Sullivan Junior Cpllege National Champions / NJC Tournament MVP - Oklahoma - One of Division I three point % leaders / Oklahoma Final Eight NCAA

Cameron Mills - Great career at UK

Rayshawn Morris - Fairdale - Sweet 16 MVP Sullivan Junior College National Champs / All Junior College Team

Eric Martin - Sweet 16 All- Tournament / KY All-Stars / Sullivan Junior Cpllege National Champions / NJC Tournament MVP - Oklahoma - One of Division I three point % leaders / Oklahoma Final Eight NCAA

Cameron Mills - Great career at UK

Louis Richardson-Moore (New Mexico State)

Shawn Myrick-Mason Co. (Cincinnati)

Lville Eastern's state championship team really only had Ashley Olinger as a sure fire D1 kid. I think he ended up at TN Tech but I believe Notre Dame wanted him too. I just remember they pressed the whole game and regularly played like 10 people all game long! They wore teams down. I remember hoping Owensboro,led by Mr BBall Brandon Davenport, would play them in the LIT. Eastern got upset in the semi's and Owensboro ended up winning it all. The Red Devils had a really good team but didn't make it out of the 3rd Region that year. Apollo beat them in the finals after losing the previous 3 match ups. Apollo had 6'9 Marc Salyers(Samford University Hall of Famer),6'5 Fred McHenry(Northern Iowa),& 6'6 Mario Hall(D2 Brevard(NC) College)

[/b]

Piggy backing a bit on what I posted about Jenkins, Smith received multiple DI basketball offers even after he had committed to UK for football. Says something about how much coaches thought of him.

People tend to think of Smith as a football player who played basketball, and he was anything but that.

In 8th grade, Smith was a 7th grader and played on our Jr. Pro team that wound up winning the National Title. 4 players off of that team wound up playing on Highlands State Runner-Up. We had sooooo much athelticism and talent. I think that only 1 kid from that team wound up not playing sports in college or beyond. He could have but went to UK instead. Smith, even a year younger than us, was EASILY our best player. His body control on spin moves on the baseline was uncanny and he would finish w/ a reverse lay-up to his right or left. Once he added range through high school, it wasn't fair.

Fairdale in 91 best an excellent Holmes squad 77-73 in the finals. Home's leading scorer, Anthony Hughes, went 1-14 from the field.

You have everything right except the year. It was 90. Not positive on who Fairdale beat in the 91 finals, it was whoever beat Holy Cross in the semi's (maybe Tates Creek?)

90 Holmes team was one of NKY's best ever. Very good and incredibly deep. Dogs' seemed poised to go on a heck of a run in the Ninth Region with so many young kids part of the rotation. They didn't win another regional title the rest of the decade though.

Hughes had a rough night in the finals, largely thanks to being guarded by a longer and more athletic player. Fatigue may have played a small role as well. If he shoots four less shots Holmes may win this game, and Fairdale was great. That's how good this Holmes team was. Hughes went on to Farleigh Dickerson.

Fairdale goes down in history as one of the state's best teams ever (deservedly so)

The 90 Holmes is largely forgotten. In a best of seven series, I'd take them over any team that has won the Ninth since though. A few of those series' would be quite interesting though.

You have everything right except the year. It was 90. Not positive on who Fairdale beat in the 91 finals, it was whoever beat Holy Cross in the semi's (maybe Tates Creek?)

90 Holmes team was one of NKY's best ever. Very good and incredibly deep. Dogs' seemed poised to go on a heck of a run in the Ninth Region with so many young kids part of the rotation. They didn't win another regional title the rest of the decade though.

Hughes had a rough night in the finals, largely thanks to being guarded by a longer and more athletic player. Fatigue may have played a small role as well. If he shoots four less shots Holmes may win this game, and Fairdale was great. That's how good this Holmes team was. Hughes went on to Farleigh Dickerson.

Fairdale goes down in history as one of the state's best teams ever (deservedly so)

The 90 Holmes is largely forgotten. In a best of seven series, I'd take them over any team that has won the Ninth since though. A few of those series' would be quite interesting though.

It's difficult to find a more talented squad. Katinic, Marshall, Eilers, Hughes, Pouncy, James and Lamont Hayes, Brown, Campbell, Holiday. They came at you in waves.

1991 semis were Cross vs Creek.