All Decade State Tournament Team (1990's)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marquis Estill was really good.

Not sure if Madison Central made the tournament either. Sorry

Yep. I was an 8th grader at Clay County in 1999. Not very fond memories of Mr. Estill or Kenneal Jenkins from that year, not at all. Can't believe I left off Estill, but think I'd just thought of Scott County as the 11th and sort of stopped there.

The Scott County/Madison Central, PRP-Paducah Tilghman quarterfinal on Friday morning was one of the most attended sessions in KHSAA history IIRC. I definitely remember going to it as a kid and it being way more packed than most other state tournament sessions.

Is it me or could you take a team of just the 1998/1999 guys and do some real damage against most other teams you could put together over a 5-8 year span? The first State Tournaments I can remember attending for every game were in those years, so maybe I'm jaded, but there seems to be a lot of talent there. You can put together a team of high-major D1 guys and guys who made a living playing overseas and still leave off some talent.

Estill wasn't at 100% during that tournament was he?

He played but it was in a bit of doubt whether he'd play and how effective he'd be if he did, IIRC.

I think that coming into the opening round, it was a safe assumption that he was going to suit up (and maybe was even being reported), but I think that during the regional semis, regional finals, or in the day or so after, there were some questions about whether his knee would let him go and even if it could, if it was worth the risk given his ride to UK.

Yep. I was an 8th grader at Clay County in 1999. Not very fond memories of Mr. Estill or Kenneal Jenkins from that year, not at all. Can't believe I left off Estill, but think I'd just thought of Scott County as the 11th and sort of stopped there.

The Scott County/Madison Central, PRP-Paducah Tilghman quarterfinal on Friday morning was one of the most attended sessions in KHSAA history IIRC. I definitely remember going to it as a kid and it being way more packed than most other state tournament sessions.

If I remember correctly, there was 20,000ish there that Friday afternoon. Massive crowd, biggest I've seen for quarterfinal action.

I agree with your assessment of Jenkins at MC. He was their best player.

For those who don't remember them, the three guys at Fairdale (Brown, Morris, and Turner) could seriously play. It would be hard not to include Brown and Turner on a list like this.

I only scanned the list, but didn't see Darnell Burton from Dunbar on it. Not many better guards during the decade than him.

[/b]

If I remember correctly, there was 20,000ish there that Friday afternoon. Massive crowd, biggest I've seen for quarterfinal action.

I agree with your assessment of Jenkins at MC. He was their best player.

For those who don't remember them, the three guys at Fairdale (Brown, Morris, and Turner) could seriously play. It would be hard not to include Brown and Turner on a list like this.

I only scanned the list, but didn't see Darnell Burton from Dunbar on it. Not many better guards during the decade than him.

'98 is about as far back as my young memory goes. I'd seen other names and heard of them for what they did once in college, but definitely know that the list needs filled out in those early years, so anyone you can name, preferable with their team and first college, then it'd be great.

I was at most of the state tournaments in the 1990's and remember most of these players. Without much deep thought, my team of nine would be:

DeJuan Wheat - Ballard

Greg Buckner - University Heights

Anthony Epps - Marion County

Elton Scott - Marion County

Jason Osborne - Male

Dan Langhi - Marshall County

David Graves - Lexington Catholic

JR VanHoose - Paintsville

Rick Jones - Scott County

Is Bukner the kid who played at Duke???

Also who were some of those other UHA kids that went on the play big time D1?

Where'd he play in college or who was he recruited by?

Don't know. I think he is the head basketball coach at Allen Co-Scottsville.

The Cunningham I remember from Allen Co-Scottsville was named Warren. He was very good but not in the same league with some of these others. IMO.

My bad on the name he may not be in the same league but he had one heck of a state tourney came up around 2+ seconds short of beating eventual state champion Paintsville.

Is Bukner the kid who played at Duke???

Also who were some of those other UHA kids that went on the play big time D1?

Greg Buckner played at Clemson, where he started every game in his four year career and led Clemson in scoring every year. His defense was better than his offense. Played in the NBA for 10 years, and now is an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets.

Buckner was a couple years ahead of University Heights' best remembered teams, which featured Lamont Barnes (Temple), Isiah Victor (Tennessee) and Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame). As I remember, Barnes and Victor were seniors in 1996 but did not play in the state tournament that year, as Christian County beat University Heights in the Second Region that year.

Will Carlton - Anderson Co - played one year at Utah under Majeras as Doleac's back up. Then was three time NAIA player of the year at Georgetown. 6'9, skilled, and played crazy hard.

Just re-read the requirements. I don't know that Anderson made the Sweet 16 while Will was there.

I remember Will Carlton in the Kentucky-Indiana series and agree that he was a total stud. Had a great career at Georgetown after transferring from Utah.

Jermaine Brown - Fairdale

Anthony Epps - Marion County

DeJuan Wheat - Ballard

Greg Buckner - University Heights

Jason Osborne - Male

Charles Thomas - Harlan

J.R. VanHoose - Paintsville

Shawn Fields - Lexington Catholic

Rick Jones - Scott County

I had forgotten about the Fairdale teams from the early 1990's. They really had it going. Would be hard to leave Jermaine Brown off this team.

I had forgotten about the Fairdale teams from the early 1990's. They really had it going. Would be hard to leave Jermaine Brown off this team.

They were dominant. Probably deserve a couple of guys on this team instead of just Brown. Maurice Morris was good, as was Carlos Turner. That team was loaded.