Coaching changes

Wow! I have NO previous experience with the coach from Ashland, and he could be the greatest game coach ever, but after what I saw that day in Owensboro it did not give a very good first impression of a coach that emphasizes the life lessons taught by the game especially those taught through sportsmanship!

I can't believe people are still criticizing the coach that was the benefactor of a bad call. Even if he tells the umpire that he thinks it was a homerun, the umpire doesn't change his calls based upon what coaches think he should have called. Was the coach that didn't talk the major league umpire into changing the call at first that cost a kid a perfect game several years ago cheating? Come on, man.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I have NO previous experience with the coach from Ashland, and he could be the greatest game coach ever, but after what I saw that day in Owensboro it did not give a very good first impression of a coach that emphasizes the life lessons taught by the game especially those taught through sportsmanship!

I guess KY CHRISTIAN didn't consider his ethical/moral qualities...

I can't believe people are still criticizing the coach that was the benefactor of a bad call. Even if he tells the umpire that he thinks it was a homerun, the umpire doesn't change his calls based upon what coaches think he should have called. Was the coach that didn't talk the major league umpire into changing the call at first that cost a kid a perfect game several years ago cheating? Come on, man.

I want to add a lot more, but I will just say this. The entire Ashland team knew the game was over and they had lost. The entire fan base and every spectator there knew the same. The ball was ruled a HR until the coach came out to question it. What would you do in that situation? If you knew it was a HR, as well as all your kids? What would you do? I know what I'd do.

I want to add a lot more, but I will just say this. The entire Ashland team knew the game was over and they had lost. The entire fan base and every spectator there knew the same. The ball was ruled a HR until the coach came out to question it. What would you do in that situation? If you knew it was a HR, as well as all your kids? What would you do? I know what I'd do.

I applaud the JC coach for somewhat keeping his cool. It would of taken the National Guard to remove me from the field that day if I was him. Probably would of been searching for a new coaching gig after that day as well.

I hope time doesn't change my impression of what went down that day! I will always be critical of the way that coach handled that opportunity to teach a life lesson to not only his team but a entire fan base. Maybe to WIN at any cost is the way they coach in different parts of the state, but I am proud to say I think our coach would of said its been a great season hold your heads up high you have nothing to be ashamed of WOW What a great game to be a part of.

I will also continue to criticize the KHSAA for not treating the Boys and the Girls spring sports the same! Simply look at the Boys state format and where they play and compare it to the girls! Mandating them to play on a field that does not meet the correct dimensions for Fast Pitch Softball, and at a state championship level even! Really, with the dirt extending out 120 feet and then the temporary fencing is a slap in the face of the girls that work just as hard as the boys making a mockery of title IX at the state level! Obviously I am thankful those umpires are not from the 9th or 10th region because I would have to criticize them too and tell what I saw every time I saw them.

The good news is I was just watching and waiting for the next game and wasn't emotionally involved other than witnessing something I cant explain and still shake my head at. Thankfully! I am sure I would not of set a very good example, and the life lesson would of been expensive not to mention embarassing.

Four King Crazy,

Louisville and WKU both have great softball stadiums. UK does too. NKU might. Never been.

Both U of L and WKU offered their stadiums in the past, but coaches' association -- NOT THE KHSAA -- voted to DECLINE the offer because tourney would be forced to go to single elimination.

There's no Title IX issue at play. It's been ruled on time and time again (not just in Kentucky, but in other states where baseball is a at minor league or college field and softball is at a smaller stadium or park, like KY).

Until Coaches/KHSAA want to go back to single elimination/one-and-done setup, playing at a college will be awfully difficult.

You COULD argue that it should be at a nicer park facility, however:

-- Elizabethtown was booked for that weekend. E'town has NO press box, either. E'town also CHARGES rental fee, while KHSAA uses facilities for free.

-- Buchanon/Bowling Green didn't offer as much financially to KHSAA.

-- Ashland is deemed too far out of the way.

-- People don't like "skinned" infields at Jefferstown

-- Tiebreaker (Hopkinsville) didn't want State

-- Frankfort's city-owned softball complex needs to be remodeled to be considered as an elite facility

Plus, as proven by gate receipts, crowds were bigger at Fisher/Owensboro than at other places which have hosted.

I'm NOT from Owensboro. I'm from E'town and I wish the Elizabethtown Sports Park was designed better, because the E.S.P. has a LOT going for it.

That being said, the E.S.P. booked a youth baseball tourney for the same week as KHSAA state. Has more teams. More from out of state. Means more money for city.

The KHSAA needs Elizabethtown more than Elizabethtown needs a three-day, 16-team tournament which WON'T help as much as bringing in a travel-ball tourney.

It's amazing that if you are driving to Eastern Kentucky it's always too far to drive but it isn't too far for us to drive to Western Kentucky.

In spite of the name, I don't consider Bowling Green to be Western Kentucky. Owensboro, sure.

That being said, IF the state tourney was moved to Ashland, how many region champs would be 90 minutes from the park? That could determine fan support.

Put the tourney in E'town, though and regions 3 (Owensboro is within 90 miles, as is Meade and Butler County), region 4 (Bowling Green), region 5 (host region, Central Hardin and Green County), 6 (Louisville), 7 (Louisville) and some other regions (Lexington, Danville) are within 90 miles. Even NKy is less than 2.5 hours from E'town.

Makes no sense -- or cents, as I would fear KHSAA would lose a ton of money moving softball tourney to Ashland or Corbin or Pikeville -- to force the majority a lot more travel.

In spite of the name, I don't consider Bowling Green to be Western Kentucky. Owensboro, sure.

That being said, IF the state tourney was moved to Ashland, how many region champs would be 90 minutes from the park? That could determine fan support.

Put the tourney in E'town, though and regions 3 (Owensboro is within 90 miles, as is Meade and Butler County), region 4 (Bowling Green), region 5 (host region, Central Hardin and Green County), 6 (Louisville), 7 (Louisville) and some other regions (Lexington, Danville) are within 90 miles. Even NKy is less than 2.5 hours from E'town.

Makes no sense -- or cents, as I would fear KHSAA would lose a ton of money moving softball tourney to Ashland or Corbin or Pikeville -- to force the majority a lot more travel.

Is it more important for the KHSAA to make money or play on fields designed to accommodate the sport? I don't care what part of the state the games are played BUT PLAY them on Fast Pitch Fields! Temporary Fencing is a JOKE!

I like the Idea of the Super Regions!

Play Districts (1 and out) with top 2 teams advancing to Regionals (16)

Play Regionals (1 and out) with top 2 teams advancing to Super Regionals

Play Super Regionals (1 and out) with top 2 teams advancing to State

Play State tournament (1 and out) and determine a state champion

This would allow you to play the games on College Fields or at least the best fields in the state!

Bowling green is over 4 hours from Ashland , you think it's fair to parents grandparents and friends/ fans to have to arrange for an overnight stays while several other regions can just drive 1/2 hr or an hour ? If it can't be in central ky then rotate it back and forth between eastern ky and western ky .

The number 1 criteria is to have the facilities! It must have 4 fast pitch fields. It must have a central concession/ Media Building like Jack C Fischer! Parking seems to be a major concern as well. Although in Owensboro the plan was to bus people from a church if grass was too wet. I don't care where the facility is in Kentucky that's where the tournament should be. No matter where it's at travel and overnight stays are an inconvenience for more than half the regions. If there is 2 facilities rotate it.

Just say NO to temporary fences and 125 foot skinned infields!

Bowling green is over 4 hours from Ashland , you think it's fair to parents grandparents and friends/ fans to have to arrange for an overnight stays while several other regions can just drive 1/2 hr or an hour ? If it can't be in central ky then rotate it back and forth between eastern ky and western ky .

Do the teams from that part of the state compete?

Do the teams from that part of the state compete?