Old Football Pictures

A few pictures of Mike Caple (32) and Artie Steinmetz (94). Both of them were GREAT athletes, and both died young...Mike during his junior year at Cov Cath, and Artie during his sophomore year of college, after playing for a year at Michigan State under Nick Saban, and then transferring to play at UK. #32 and #94 have since been retired on the Covington Catholic football team.

Mike Caple1.jpg

Mike Caple and Artie Steinmetz.jpg

Artie Steimetz2.jpg

Artie Steimetz1.jpg

Cov Cath...1998 Season

Brett Dietz (4). Dietzy went on to play football in college at Hanover, and then play for the Turku Trojans, Cincinnati Marshals, Tampa Bay Storm, Louisville Fire, Chicago Rush, Spokane Shock, Kansas City Brigade, and California Redwoods. At current he still holds the Cov Cath record for most pass attempts in a single game, at 46.

Brett Dietz.jpg

Cole Chadwick (29). As a sophomore, Cole was the third string runningback in the first game of the season. He was called on after a rash of injuries, and turned out to be one of the best running backs Cov Cath ever saw. At current, Cole still holds the record for most rushing attempts at 319 in the 1998 season, and also still holds career records for most yards rushing at 3,882 and most rushing attempts at 715.

Cole Chadwick.jpg

Dave Baute (62)

Dave Baute.jpg

Cov Cath...1998 Season

Brett Dietz (4). Dietzy went on to play football in college at Hanover, and then play for the Turku Trojans, Cincinnati Marshals, Tampa Bay Storm, Louisville Fire, Chicago Rush, Spokane Shock, Kansas City Brigade, and California Redwoods. At current he still holds the Cov Cath record for most pass attempts in a single game, at 46.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49604[/ATTACH]

Cole Chadwick (29). As a sophomore, Cole was the third string runningback in the first game of the season. He was called on after a rash of injuries, and turned out to be one of the best running backs Cov Cath ever saw. At current, Cole still holds the record for most rushing attempts at 319 in the 1998 season, and also still holds career records for most yards rushing at 3,882 and most rushing attempts at 715.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49605[/ATTACH]

Dave Baute (62)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49606[/ATTACH]

I was friends with 3 of the best Artie, Cole and Madden.

This was taken in August 1993. That's Cov Cath quarterback Dustin Hicks (13), and the senior core of his offensive line: Eric McDavid (50), Eric Ford (69), Andy Halleron (71), and Ben Belbot (79). The other lineman not shown was Andy "Zeus" Zerhusen (52), who wasn't included since he was a junior that year...Zeus has apparently just been hired as Cov Cath's offensive line coach.

The team went 9-1 in the regular season. Their only loss was to Moeller. Managed to beat Boone County at Boone County when Shaun Alexander was a junior. Really good damn team.

That needed a slip in 14 inches of mud (interesting since it had not rained in WEEKS) to beat Conner in the 3rd round ...

(Yes ... I am still bitter--but definitely a great team ... and the guys in that picture were/are good dudes).

I have a few pictures from the game in question ... I hope I can find them.

Conner had a very good program under Bob Lewis! I saw some pretty good football games between the Birds & Conner from 79-83...Actually really good!

Coach Lewis is still revered by many of us who played for him.

Can anyone identify these guys?

Bellevue

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49485[/ATTACH]

Conner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49486[/ATTACH]

Lloyd?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49487[/ATTACH]

CocCath

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49488[/ATTACH]

I believe the Bellevue Tiger is Brad Hssong.

Newport Wildcats 1924 season 1925 school year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49508[/ATTACH]

The Poweleit pictured above is Dr. Alvin C. After graduating from Newport High he went UK for 1 year and then to UC. He then attended the Univ. of Louisville Medical School. Dr. Poweleit enlisted in the army reserves and was called up in 1940. He was assigned as a medical officer in a tank battalion and was shipped to the Philippines. His unit arrived in Manila Bay on Thanksgiving Day 1941. Dr. Poweleit survived the Bataan Death March and provided eye care to northern Kentuckians for decades, whether they could afford to pay him or not. A truly great man.