Old Football Pictures

On 10/12/2021 at 9:58 PM, The Raven said:

Is that the same Dan Weber that covered High School sports for one of the NKY papers?   I can't remember if it was for the Kentucky Post or the Kentucky Enquirer.

A little late to the party on this one, but yep, same guy. He was out in California doing local coverage for USC and recently retired back to NKY. He was writing for LinkNKY this past season, but I think that was just for the one season.

• Thanks 1

Ewell "Judge" Waddell, former football star at Marion High School & Western Kentucky State Teachers College, shown here in 1936 during his first year as head coach of the Ludlow Panthers.

Judge Waddell started off as an assistant coach at Ludlow for two years before taking over as head coach for the Panthers in 1936. He was their skipper through the 1941 season and then left to take the head coaching job at Highlands from 1942-1953.

Fnin060X0AcU4JE.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 10:16 AM, Runcible Owl said:

🏆 1966 Dayton Greendevils - Kentucky Class A State Champions with Coach Ray King at Davis Field.

The story of the day ~ "Dayton Tips Russellville 6-2 On A Blocked Punt"

Olin W Davis* Field today - one of the best places to watch football in the Commonwealth.

* Davis was hired by Dayton to coach football in 1928. As Principal in 1933, the Northern Indiana native gave a young Purdue graduate, John Wooden, his first head coaching jobs (football, basketball, baseball, and track).

Great memories shared by the players in this 50th Anniversary story of that championship season ~

https://www.rcnky.com/articles/2016/08/27/50-years-later-daytons-1966-state-championship-team-honored-again

1b55a007-d061-4434-8322-b0e945526a0e-Dayton_66_Team_Pic_-_11.jpg

dayton.jpg

1665.jpg

Hells Half Acre!.....Loved playing there. It's days are numbered correct? I'm hearing a New complex is set to be built right next to the School in the near future. The current location is rumored to have been purchased by SD1. The site of a future pumping station. Can someone clarify?

14 minutes ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

Hells Half Acre!.....Loved playing there. It's days are numbered correct? I'm hearing a New complex is set to be built right next to the School in the near future. The current location is rumored to have been purchased by SD1. The site of a future pumping station. Can someone clarify?

I've heard the same. I've never been to a game at Dayton but it is on the list for the upcoming season because I'd like to go before a new place is built.

8 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I've heard the same. I've never been to a game at Dayton but it is on the list for the upcoming season because I'd like to go before a new place is built.

It is truly a special place. I will see what Highlands Bye week is this year and see if Dayton has a Home game that Night. I want to catch One more game there before the Crap starts flowing.....LOL!

• Haha 1