Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

Kicking myself right now. Went to Walmart for deer corn a few days ago and walked past the grill section. Everything on markdown and they 1 Barrel House 18c smoker marked down from $197 to $30. Didn’t know much about it so I went home and did research on it later in the eve. Seems like it is a great system. I went back the next morning and it was gone. Called some other local stores and they didn’t have any either. UGH!

I would have bought it just because of the mark down.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw a Charbroil Vertical Electric Smoker at BJ's the other night. Normally $89, the member price was $69. After coming home and doing some research, I went back and picked one up. Looking forward to setting it up this weekend and smoking a pork loin, maybe.

Bought me a Big Horn pellet grill from Rural King a couple of weeks ago. $339.00 during the summer, had been marked down twice, finally to $249, so I pulled the trigger and got it. I had been doing research on the pellet grills and had my eye on some waiting for them to go on sale, which smokers/grills usually do in the fall. Already used it a handful of times. I'd have to say its a better smoker than a grill, but I bought it to use as a smoker anyway so no big deal. Have done some really good ribs and chops on it, going to do a brisket this weekend, might do a pork butt for some pulled pork as well. Pellet grills for smoking are the way to go. The grill itself has functioned very well and I don't think I could have gotten a better bargain.

Bought me a Big Horn pellet grill from Rural King a couple of weeks ago. $339.00 during the summer, had been marked down twice, finally to $249, so I pulled the trigger and got it. I had been doing research on the pellet grills and had my eye on some waiting for them to go on sale, which smokers/grills usually do in the fall. Already used it a handful of times. I'd have to say its a better smoker than a grill, but I bought it to use as a smoker anyway so no big deal. Have done some really good ribs and chops on it, going to do a brisket this weekend, might do a pork butt for some pulled pork as well. Pellet grills for smoking are the way to go. The grill itself has functioned very well and I don't think I could have gotten a better bargain.

How well does the smoke flavor stick to the food? Ive read mixed reviews but don’t personally know anyone with one. And since you’ve got one, I figured I’d ask.

How well does the smoke flavor stick to the food? Ive read mixed reviews but don’t personally know anyone with one. And since you’ve got one, I figured I’d ask.

You have to learn the P settings and how they relate to the lower temp settings. I can put it on "smoke" mode, up the P setting and you'd think my house was on fire. Higher heat settings result in less smoke. So, a low temperature with a high P setting early in the cook gives you a lot of smoke and smoke flavor, then turn up the heat after the first couple of hours to cook. Even then you get smoke, but not as much. You have to play around a little and find that sweet spot, but it's there.

I’ve got a Traeger and love it.

I agree though, it’s a smoker and in no way is it going to replace your grill.

You have to learn the P settings and how they relate to the lower temp settings. I can put it on "smoke" mode, up the P setting and you'd think my house was on fire. Higher heat settings result in less smoke. So, a low temperature with a high P setting early in the cook gives you a lot of smoke and smoke flavor, then turn up the heat after the first couple of hours to cook. Even then you get smoke, but not as much. You have to play around a little and find that sweet spot, but it's there.

uhh, just realized I was backwards in my P setting statement above...lower temp and LOWER P setting gives you more smoke. So a 0 P setting means more smoke, a 7 setting is the least amount of smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife got me a smoker for my birthday/anniversary. Seasoned it on Saturday and went simple with some smoked shrimp yesterday.

Going to have to read through this whole thing and get some good ideas. Can't wait to have a full Saturday or Sunday to smoke something good. I work to darn much, but i'll find a day to enjoy some beer, fire in my fire pit and throw something there in there. Not sure if I want to start with ribs or a pork shoulder, or something entirely different like chicken/turkey breasts. Pretty excited.

Seasoned the new smoker, today. You get what you pay for. Temperature stability is going to be a problem. I've got some ribs I'm going try to smoke tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

The ribs cooked 5 hours at 225. I got the temp variance to range from about 240-210, giving me an average of about 225.

The ribs came out fine, tender and juicy, but there was one 1 major issue. No smoke. The chips, hickory, never did light.

Wife got me a smoker for my birthday/anniversary. Seasoned it on Saturday and went simple with some smoked shrimp yesterday.

Going to have to read through this whole thing and get some good ideas. Can't wait to have a full Saturday or Sunday to smoke something good. I work to darn much, but i'll find a day to enjoy some beer, fire in my fire pit and throw something there in there. Not sure if I want to start with ribs or a pork shoulder, or something entirely different like chicken/turkey breasts. Pretty excited.

Go with a pork butt. Rub it down good and toss it in. You can’t mess up a pork butt.

Smoked my first whole turkey and also a small turkey breast. Breast turned out excellent. The whole turkey looked good, but it also appeared it could be dry (I normally inject a turkey but couldn't find my injector, and I don't brine). I didn't taste it, gave it to one of my ex girlfriends daughters since they didn't cook one. Waiting to hear back to see how it was. Also smoked a chuck roast which was delicious.

Smoked my first whole turkey and also a small turkey breast. Breast turned out excellent. The whole turkey looked good, but it also appeared it could be dry (I normally inject a turkey but couldn't find my injector, and I don't brine). I didn't taste it, gave it to one of my ex girlfriends daughters since they didn't cook one. Waiting to hear back to see how it was. Also smoked a chuck roast which was delicious.

Did you slice the roast? Or shred it?