Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

Who has a good brisket recipe they like? I have tried coffee and just plain salt and pepper when smoking a brisket. I have a 13 lb brisket I will be smoking in the next couple of weeks, any suggestions?

I'm typically a simple coarse cracked salt and pepper guy when it comes to brisket but I've heard that Dizzy Pig makes a couple of really nice rubs for brisket. The red eye express is a coffee based rub and cow lick is kind of a "works with anything beef" rub. I'm new to the dizzy pig line of rubs but recently gave their dizzy dust rub a try and it's better than anything I could make myself. Given their extensive line of rubs and the fact that I can buy theirs cheaper than I can experiment on my own, I think I'm done making my own rubs for a while.

Finally firing up my Akorn for the first time this year tomorrow. Just got back from Sam’s with some babybacks, Apple rub, and those huge baking potatoes. Gonna prepare the ribs later and check the grill, refill the lump etc.

Put a pork loin on smoke at about noon today. Pulled it off about an hour ago and wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 280 for about two hours.

5 lb loin - prep by putting lemon juice all over it

Seasoning

Brown sugar

Chili powder

Ground cumin

Ground mustard

A1 seasoning

Mix all those together - let sit in fridge about an hour

Smoking - 4 hours

Pecan nuggets for the smoke

Charcoal for the heat

Sliced apples over the charcoal

Oven

Add your favorite bbq sauce - in this case Private Selects Memphis Inspired BBQ sauce

Wrap in foil

Cook at 280 for two hours

If I keep grilling hamburgers this good I'm going to have to open up a hamburger stand. Grilled the most delicious hamburgers last weekend cooked perfectly to a medium, did the same today. Got today's just a tad salty for my taste, but they are still very good. A little low sodium Dale's seasoning sauce in the hamburger as you Patty them out. Salt pepper onion powder and garlic powder to season, place on hot grill. Grill to a medium and devour.

Friday night was burgers on my new Blackstone flat top, I mixed some dizzy dust seasoning in with the meat before I pattied them out. Carmelized some onions while the burgers were cooking and threw some frozen Arby's curly fries in the oven. This was my first cook on the blackstone and I really like it, it's going to be a great tool to accompany my Akorn.

Last night was three racks of ribs, corn and homeade potato salad. I rubbed down two racks with the dizzy dust and used honey sriracha on the other rack. I used apple and cherry wood for the smoke and spritzed each rack once with apple juice about 2 hours into the cook. Gave them a light coating of Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce the last hour to make them a little sticky.

Not sure what's on the menu for today, we had some ppl over last night for the rib cook and some adult beverages, ended up building a fire and didn't get to bed until around 2am. So I'm thinking I may do a simple breakfast for dinner on the blackstone.

I did 4 racks of ribs on the Green Egg Sunday (225 heat with lump charcoal and a few chunks of apple wood and hickory thrown in). Seasoned with McCormacks Steak seasoning. Every hour for 3 hours I sprayed them down with an Apple Cider Vinegar/Apple Juice mix...

After 3 1/2 hours I placed them in foil and poured a mixture of SweetBaby Rays, Apple Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, honey, chili powder, red pepper over the ribs and cooked another 1hour and 15 minutes.

Let them rest for 45 minutes in a cooler with towels and they were fall the bone delicious.

I love cooking burgers on my blackstone griddle. I make the burgers into a round ball...but them on the hot griddle for a few minutes...then take a heavy spatula and mash down to flat and cook...

That's the only way my family will eat burgers now a days.

I love cooking burgers on my blackstone griddle. I make the burgers into a round ball...but them on the hot griddle for a few minutes...then take a heavy spatula and mash down to flat and cook...

That's the only way my family will eat burgers now a days.

I've done smash burgers from time to time in a cast iron skillet on my Akorn but it was time consuming because you can really only do two patties at a time. The family likes them more than I, but I certainly don't dislike them. I'll probably cook them more often now that I have a Blackstone table top, it has a big enough surface that I can cook as many as I would ever need all at once.

Now that the rain is done I think I'll grill a mess of wings to eat while the playoff games are on later. I have a couple of bags of the non frozen wings from Kroger, I'll probably do half with a honey sriracha seasoning then baste with Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and the other half will be dizzy dust seasoning with Caribbean Jerk bbq sauce. Potato salad and celery sticks with ranch/bleu cheese will likely be the sides. There's something I love about wings on Sundays during the summer and then fall football season.

Thinking about making the jump from my little Weber charcoal grill to an Oklahoma Joe's Bandera. Thoughts?

The verticle designed smokers seem more efficient than the offset style smokers, but I'm not sure how much more efficient they are or if they cook evenly from top to bottom. The even temperature range from top to bottom is doubtful I'mo.

I have an offset smoker and it becomes a real pain in the rear if you're smoking anything that takes longer than a rack of baby backs, not to mention it burns a ton of fuel. After I got into Kamado style cookers I rarely ever is my stick burner.

I googled that smoker and it's price point seems to be around $400 but it has a ton of capacity. If you need more capacity it may be worth a try, but if you're happy with the size of your Webber I'd look into the Kamado style grillers. The insulation on them makes a huge difference in temp control as well as how much fuel you use.

Love my Masterbuilt 30 inch digital smoker. Uses wood chips and not pellets. No temp issues top to bottom. Plan to do a couple pork shoulders (3 pounds each roughly) and a turkey breast injected with lemon butter for moms day.

Also have a GrillEye bluetooth thermometer with 2 probes (expandable to 6) that does an excellent job.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in NKY this weekend so I didn't do any grilling up until today, now that I'm home. I have two nearly 2lb (each) and 2.5 inch thick Ribeyes on the grill at the moment that I picked up at Findlay Market. I'm doing a reverse sear on them cooking them at around 300 degrees until they're rare at 120. Then I will pull them off and let the Akorn come up to searing temps and sear them for a couple minutes per side or until they probe 125'ish in the center, they should come up to medium rare while they rest.