Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

Gosh I had to go to page 5 to dig this thread up, come on guys we've got to be doing more smoking and Grilling the this. I smoked some chicken quarters and four butterflied pork chops this past weekend my goodness were they good. Think I'm going to do a couple of pork butts this weekend for some pulled pork, then going to do some more next week for church Christmas dinner Wednesday night and potluck dinner at work Thursday.

I've been out of town most weekends lately so I haven't had a chance to spend much time on the grill. Our kitchen is getting a remodel and I'm off work today so I may see if I can get a couple of pork tenderloins thawed out in time to smoke them for dinner tonight.

• 3 months later...

I'm firing up the Akorn today for the first time since December. We moved to a new house in January and I took the base off the grill to make it easier to transport, just got around to putting it back together on Friday.

I'm gonna smoke two racks of spare ribs, trimmed St.Loius style, with grilled/saute'd asparagus, my better half is going to do mashed potatoes and gravy on the stove.

I have about a pound and a half of shrimp that I'm going to use Emeril's blackening seasoning and a little olive oil on. I'll skewer those and toss them on the top rack of the grill around 2pm for a game time snack while waiting on the ribs to finish up for dinner. There may still be snow on the ground but I feel like grilling season is back.

We grilled a couple big TBones on the Egg last night that were tasty. SEC tourny weekend we smoked some ribs and chicken that good as well!

I have a frozen brisket that I am ready to thaw out and smoke in the next few weeks!

Has anyone tried the dizzy pig rubs and seasonings? I've heard great things about them but I don't have anywhere local to buy them so I haven't tried them yet. Their website has some sample packs for $10 and free shipping, I may give that a shot.

So Thursday night's UK / K-ST game was a real bummer, but there was one bright spot. I had what was probably the best steak I've ever ate during the game. Went with a friend of mine to watch the game at his cousins and his cousin cooked my steak on a pellet smoker. The grill was made by Green Mountain. I think it's electric but uses wood pellets to heat the meat.

Anyhow, for a smoker is did a pretty good job of searing the outside of the steak and seemed to cook much more quickly than I would have thought would be possible with a smoker. I'm seriously considering buying one once I can save up the cash as they are a little pricey.

The grill was pretty high tech it had built in wifi so that he could see from his phone when my steak was medium rare. Took it off the grill and it was cooked exactly as advertised.

Anybody else have experience with this brand or any recommendations.

So Thursday night's UK / K-ST game was a real bummer, but there was one bright spot. I had what was probably the best steak I've ever ate during the game. Went with a friend of mine to watch the game at his cousins and his cousin cooked my steak on a pellet smoker. The grill was made by Green Mountain. I think it's electric but uses wood pellets to heat the meat.

Anyhow, for a smoker is did a pretty good job of searing the outside of the steak and seemed to cook much more quickly than I would have thought would be possible with a smoker. I'm seriously considering buying one once I can save up the cash as they are a little pricey.

The grill was pretty high tech it had built in wifi so that he could see from his phone when my steak was medium rare. Took it off the grill and it was cooked exactly as advertised.

Anybody else have experience with this brand or any recommendations.

I've never used one but I've heard the Green Mountain Pellet poopers are great. The main thing with the pellet smokers is the thickness of the steel. As long as it's thick enough to add some insulation they seem to perform really well, if it's made of thin steel like you usually see at the box stores then you're more less limited to really low temps as well as using more energy to achieve those temps.

I have smoked and grilled some over the winter but didn't post anything. have a 7 pound pork butt thawed out ready to go, and have a hankering for ribs.

How late were you up? How did it turn out?

How late were you up? How did it turn out?

Ended up going to bed and let it cook overnight. For some reason is stalled out at 190 deg, not quite hot enough for a good pull, so I wrapped it, put in fridge, went to work and when I got home I took it out and sliced it instead it pulling. I then warmed it up in the oven and oh man was it good. I have come up with a new mustard base I'm using to rub it down with before I apply the spice rub... and I'm really liking it.

Just started smoking meats in the last year or so. Smoked a ham this past weekend for the family for Easter.

I’ve smoked the basics: turkey, ham, chicken, chicken wings, ribs, pork loin and even burgers. I haven’t done any Boston Butts or brisket yet but will likely try a brisket this summer. I’m not too big on pulled pork so unless it is for a family reunion or something I likely won’t do one.

Everything I have smoked turned out great except for one thing. Ribs. I need some help/tips on smoking ribs. I want them juicy and falling off the bone.

Help a brother out.

Thanks.