Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

I gave in and purchased the "36 Blackstone. They were $199 on Amazon yesterday, let's just say I'm excited to use it.

Field and stream also have them on sale right now for $199....go grab one! They are normally $249 at wallyworld vs $299 at f&s. Walmart also has great prices on the weather cover, the cooking utensils kit, and the basting lid. You'll want all three to be the griddlemaster.

Field and stream also have them on sale right now for $199....go grab one! They are normally $249 at wallyworld vs $299 at f&s. Walmart also has great prices on the weather cover, the cooking utensils kit, and the basting lid. You'll want all three to be the griddlemaster.

Prime delivery tomorrow but I can't use it until I move into my house in two weeks. I think I'll cook up some pork fried rice with shrimp. I

I've been busy with work lately so I haven't grilled much other than hamburgers and such lately. Decided I'm going to do a pork shoulder tomorrow so went to pick it up as well as some lump charcoal and ended up grabbing some corn, shrimp and a honey sriracha marinated pork loin as well to cook tonight.

Tossed the pork loin and corn on the grill and made shrimp scampi on the stovetop. The whole meal only took about an hour to make including warming up the grill. Simple, cheap meal that turned out excellent, $15 worth of food fed four of us.

For what it's worth Walmart has 30lb bags of Western branded lump charcoal for $10 and I've heard really good things about it on some grilling forums. Typically I buy Royal Oak lump at $10 for a 15lb bag but figured I'd give this stiff a try.

• 2 weeks later...

1st time doing something like this...

I took a pork tenderloin, rubbed it down good with John Henry's East Texas rub (Old Bob's Hickory & Garlic), wrapped it up in bacon, got the grill stablized at 350, and grilled it with indirect heat until the internal temp got to 170. Took about an hour and a half.

Came out juicy and tender. I give the credit to the bacon. I'll try it without the bacon, next time.

1st time doing something like this...

I took a pork tenderloin, rubbed it down good with John Henry's East Texas rub (Old Bob's Hickory & Garlic), wrapped it up in bacon, got the grill stablized at 350, and grilled it with indirect heat until the internal temp got to 170. Took about an hour and a half.

Came out juicy and tender. I give the credit to the bacon. I'll try it without the bacon, next time.

That sounds spectacular!

Grilled at a buddies house last night...burgers, chicken breasts, brats and a couple of small NY strips. Yum yum. Got some now telling me I make the best burgers they have ever had, one asking for my recipe today as he's grilling at his sisters tonight and wanted it. Gotta say it's pretty darn good.

I've been in my new house for eight days. I have used the Blackstone 5-6 times including breakfast this morning. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Got the 36" from amazon for $150 during prime days.

Should be here tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody in here use a vertical smoker?

I don't have one but I have used the electric Masterbuilts before. They're great if you want want the smoker to literally do all of the work for you, but to me that takes all of the fun out of it hah. They also have a lower smoke profile than charcoal/wood fired smokers. Instead of using chips in the smoke box you can get a tube or maze for pellets though and use those to generate smoke and get a pretty good smoke profile.

I don't have one but I have used the electric Masterbuilts before. They're great if you want want the smoker to literally do all of the work for you, but to me that takes all of the fun out of it hah. They also have a lower smoke profile than charcoal/wood fired smokers. Instead of using chips in the smoke box you can get a tube or maze for pellets though and use those to generate smoke and get a pretty good smoke profile.

I’m looking for one but with coals and wood. I’m not an electric fan. Just curious to see what people know by experience with it. Reviews are mixed on several of these so I was hoping to catch some insight in here.

I’m looking for one but with coals and wood. I’m not an electric fan. Just curious to see what people know by experience with it. Reviews are mixed on several of these so I was hoping to catch some insight in here.

A coal/woodburning vertical smoker is actually pretty efficient and adds a nice smoked flavor. The big key with those is how well they are insulated, ie, thickness of the metal. If the metal is thick enough they are really good smokers and much more efficient than the offset smokers.