Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

So my bbq that I made for my friend went over like gangbusters. I have some wild caught salmon in the freezer I need to do something with. Anyone every smoked any grouper? I have never cooked it but might be getting some.

We'd been living in an apartment since we moved for my wife to start med school, and our complex didn't allow grills. We bought a Weber Genesis II 310 grill when we bought our house, and I fired it up for the first time last night. I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to making up for missed time.

And we look forward to your posts when you do.:thumb:

So my bbq that I made for my friend went over like gangbusters. I have some wild caught salmon in the freezer I need to do something with. Anyone every smoked any grouper? I have never cooked it but might be getting some.

I've never cooked Grouper but I bet it would come out great if you prepared it with some Cajun seasoning, butter, lemon or lime. I've always been a fan of blackened grouper, so I'd probably mix it up a bit and smoke it as mentioned above then when it is somewhat close to being done toss it on some cast iron heated to around 300-350 to finish it off. Maybe add a little more Cajun seasoning to the grouper while your heading up the cast iron.

Edited by JDEaston

I'm looking for some new things to try myself, thinking I'm going to do something with pork belly soon. Not exactly sure what yet but I'm leaning toward burnt ends that I watched a video about on another forum. Looked like meat candy when it was done. Looking into doing some half inch thick pieces of bologna as well, figure I can give it a little smoke by cooking on the upper rack around 250 then bring them down to the main grate to give them a little char.

I'm looking for some new things to try myself, thinking I'm going to do something with pork belly soon. Not exactly sure what yet but I'm leaning toward burnt ends that I watched a video about on another forum. Looked like meat candy when it was done. Looking into doing some half inch thick pieces of bologna as well, figure I can give it a little smoke by cooking on the upper rack around 250 then bring them down to the main grate to give them a little char.

We must have watched the same video and I'm planning to do the exact same thing!

We must have watched the same video and I'm planning to do the exact same thing!

Most likely, seems as there may be a few of us BGP'ers on that forum. Anyway, the burnt ends on that pork belly looked great. I've never done anything with pork belly and I bet the burnt ends are less forgiving than cooking it whole but I'll give it a try. My biggest issue is trying to figure out what to pair it with, but I'm sure I'll figure out something as everyone loves bacon hah.

What's everyone grilling for fathers day? I have some chicken tenderloin marinating in a Kentucky bourbon marinade that I forgot I even had. Will grill that along with some bratwurst for the kids later this evening. Plan on glazing the chicken with a Caribbean Jerk sauce mixed with some Wild Turkey American honey bourbon once it hits the grill. Haven't figured out the sides yet, but will probably do baked potatoes and salad for the wife and I and mac and cheese and salad for the kids.

Pork Tenderloin is such a lean meat it dries out really easy. Even when smoking it at really low temps like 200-225 I have had it still come out somewhat dry. Brining it helps a lot with that, if you can get your brine mixture right, it seems to absorb more of the salt than most meats do when brining and I've ruined a couple of pork loins that way. Generally when I do pork tenderloin these days I just get one of the marinated packs from Kroger and cut it up into 2-2.5" pieces and grill it indirect at 350-400. It still takes some smoke that way but cooks quick enough that it's still moist in the center.

I've found that laying a few strips of bacon over your tenderloin really helps make it more moist. I just cut 4 or 5 strips in half and and lay them over the tenderloin.

I've found that laying a few strips of bacon over your tenderloin really helps make it more moist. I just cut 4 or 5 strips in half and and lay them over the tenderloin.

I never thought of that but it does make sense. I'll give it a try next time I do a pork loin.

Made about 18-20 pounds of pulled pork Saturday for a party...best so far. Added some bourbon smoked sugar during the smoke and smoked a small slice (about 5 pound) of pork belly and mixed in with the shoulders when I pulled it. It was soooo freaking good.

Making 6 fatties.

Two stuffed just just like the on in the link.

Two stuffed with Zataran's jambalaya, andouille, and cheddar cheese.

Two stuffed green and red bell peppers, red onions, fresh pineapple, terriaki sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Sausage Fatty - Bacon Explosion

I've been wanting to make a fatty for awhile. How'd they turn out?

I've been wanting to make a fatty for awhile. How'd they turn out?

They're always great. Even if you mess up a bit.

The thing you want to do is make the sausage into a log first. Then roll the bacon around it.

That way you don't catch the ends of the bacon inside the roll. The bacon won't cook well if trapped in the roll.

I love them because I can prep them the night before, then throw them on and let them cook the next day. No muss - no fuss.

Also I typically use 1 lb of hot sausage and 1 lb or regular sausage. Mix them together, then separate to make 2 fatties.

• 3 weeks later...

Smoked several chicken quarters and legs and made a pot of cowboy beans last Saturday for a fish fry/cookout after party when we finished our local Ryder Cup match.

Chicken was it's usual yummy as can be and got a LOT of great comments about it, 2-3 people telling me (unsolicited) that it was the best chicken they had ever eaten.:thumb:

Cowboy beans were out of this world and also got a ton of great comments, people wanting me to fix them again. This batch was a little less sweet and a tad spicier/hotter than my last batch, was lead to a better product. Again smoked 2 pounds of a very high quality hamburger than I had ground for me, and about 1 1/2 pounds of bacon to put in it. It was used as a side dish but it can very easily be a meal being as hearty as any chili.