50 Greatest Players of All-Time Redeux

Was Dave Cowens or Jerry Lucas better than Dan Issel?

He averaged 22.6 pts per game over a 15 year career.

Averaged 9.1 rebounds per game.

Shot right at 50% from the field for his career.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hear your argument for what makes CP3 in the conversation? What makes the other guys a lock?

To define, a lock to me is a guy that if their career ended tonight, they would no doubt make the list.

All you gotta do for Dirk, AI, and KG is look at the numbers. Those guys are without question locks. Pierce is a toss up for me.

All three of those guys are in over guys like Pippen, Worthy, Drexler, Karl Malone, etc.

All you gotta do for Dirk, AI, and KG is look at the numbers. Those guys are without question locks. Pierce is a toss up for me.

All three of those guys are in over guys like Pippen, Worthy, Drexler, Karl Malone, etc.

You're kidding, right? Like, second leading scorer all time Karl Malone?

I just don't see it with AI. He never won a title. He's not in the top 20 scorers all time. He didn't play very long, and when he did he wasn't at his peak very long.

The Mailman delivered. He is in the top 50 without a doubt.

You're kidding, right? Like, second leading scorer all time Karl Malone?

I just don't see it with AI. He never won a title. He's not in the top 20 scorers all time. He didn't play very long, and when he did he wasn't at his peak very long.

Malone never won a title either. AI was, and still is, one of the best pure scorer's to ever play the game. He had a lot of off-court issues that caused his career to end way too early IMO.

I didn't say he isn't top 50. Just that those guys were better. Malone falls behind Duncan, Dirk, and possibly Chuck in the list of all-time great PFs.

Ummm. If given the choice between Karl and Dirk being my starting power forward...I'm going with Karl. Now, between Karl and Duncan...may have to ponder on that one for a few. Maybe leaning towards Duncan because of defense.

Ummm. If given the choice between Karl and Dirk being my starting power forward...I'm going with Karl. Now, between Karl and Duncan...may have to ponder on that one for a few. Maybe leaning towards Duncan because of defense.

That's fine, you can have Malone. I'll take the guy that has proven he can do more than put up gaudy numbers.

That's fine, you can have Malone. I'll take the guy that has proven he can do more than put up gaudy numbers.

Well...putting up big numbers IS a pretty good indicator of success in most cases...though definitely not everything which is why I am not as huge a fan of AI as some are. And, I would suppose if Dirk had paltry numbers we wouldn't even be talking about him. And actually I think the two teams, Utah in Malone's era and Dallas in Dirk's era, are somewhat similar. I never thought or either as a great team per se. Dirk did win a title, but Malone had to go through Jordan if he wanted one, and that just wasn't gonna happen.

Well...putting up big numbers IS a pretty good indicator of success in most cases...though definitely not everything which is why I am not as huge a fan of AI as some are. And, I would suppose if Dirk had paltry numbers we wouldn't even be talking about him. And actually I think the two teams, Utah in Malone's era and Dallas in Dirk's era, are somewhat similar. I never thought or either as a great team per se. Dirk did win a title, but Malone had to go through Jordan if he wanted one, and that just wasn't gonna happen.

Both are tremendous. My point is, if I'm picking the all-time greats, Malone is no better than 3rd at the PF slot, and I think a strong case can be made he's #4.

Lots of great teams could not get titles agaisnt Jordan's Bulls.

Not disagreeing at all, but winning a championship like Dirk did (when he was the GUY) has to be factored in when comparing him to a guy that never won one.

Side note: Can you imagine what Dirk could've done with a PG of John Stockton's caliber passing him the ball all these years?

Not disagreeing at all, but winning a championship like Dirk did (when he was the GUY) has to be factored in when comparing him to a guy that never won one.

We disagree on using a title as a differentiator. Way too many variables for me.